Looks to be Official.... Cuba!

maxamuus

If you'd like to be there for an extended stay, yeah!!

The prison is kinda 'closing'... not the base... We have a unusual agreement, actually a treaty, that requires that both parties, the US and Cuba, must agree to terminate our lease. We send Cuba a check for the lease every year and they never cash it!!!

:D

I remember Castro and the drawer full of checks..

I'm not sure there is a valid reason to have a base there anymore.

It will be interesting when the US tries to account for the Cuban assets in the US that were seized decades ago. There were numerous lawsuits pending, but I seem to recall the bulk of Cuba's money being distributed to a handful of plaintiffs. Doesn't seem quite fare or bi-partisan to me.

I remember Castro and the drawer full of checks..

I'm not sure there is a valid reason to have a base there anymore.

It will be interesting when the US tries to account for the Cuban assets in the US that were seized decades ago. There were numerous lawsuits pending, but I seem to recall the bulk of Cuba's money being distributed to a handful of plaintiffs. Doesn't seem quite fare or bi-partisan to me.

Perhaps, perhaps not but I see no reason for the US to give GITMO back. We've invested a ton of money in infrastructure in that 42 square miles and it's actually quite a handy place to stage Coastie vessels in their drug interdiction roll...

:)

That's only 2800 people per day. That many can easily fit on one large or 2 small ships.

Lots of Caribbean ports don't have a ship a day in port and it's really not a question of how many ships but WHICH ships...

The Braemar is only 17 or 18 foot draft, pretty much all Carnival ships and other ships of their size, draw 25 to 30 feet...

Where do you come up with this mis-information? Of course Cuba has TV and Internet.

Everybody seems to think the rest of the world is as slow as the US when it comes to building infrastructure.

Places like Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya put the US to shame when it came to disaster recovery, which is really no different.

One of my favorite Castro commercials:

Hardly anyone owns a computer. It's difficult to afford it when you only make $10 a month. Internet usage by the rare few is heavily censored. I understand that Raul is now making microwave ovens available-too bad no one can afford one. Cell phones as well. Who needs a microwave in Cuba anyway What will they do with it-cook their rationed four pounds of potatos per month or their two eggs per person per month?

Perhaps, perhaps not but I see no reason for the US to give GITMO back. We've invested a ton of money in infrastructure in that 42 square miles and it's actually quite a handy place to stage Coastie vessels in their drug interdiction roll...

:)

I might question whether the cost of keeping it open is worth it.

One could argue it is to protect the trade routes to/from the Panama canal, but I'm not sure against what? I don't think Europe is going to be attacking anytime soon and any modern day pirates would know to avoid the area.

I've always thought it would be more effective to combat drugs at the source of the problem, which is the demand created by America's addiction.

Hardly anyone owns a computer. It's difficult to afford it when you only make $10 a month. Internet usage by the rare few is heavily censored. I understand that Raul is now making microwave ovens available-too bad no one can afford one. Cell phones as well. Who needs a microwave in Cuba anyway What will they do with it-cook their rationed four pounds of potatos per month or their two eggs per person per month?

And that has what to do with cruise ship passengers?

Cruise ships require far less in the way of infrastructure than land based tourists. Passengers show up in the morning, dump a pile of cash, and leave before sundown. That $10/month could easily become $10 a day or more from tips alone.

Internet usage is heavily censored in a number of countries including China and throughout the middle east.

How many Russians own Petrushka Dolls that cruisers buy by the dozen? Approximately 0 - they can't afford nor have any interest in such trinkets.

In many countries not many individuals own computers - heck not many own TVs. They utilize a concept called sharing.

I don't want to give $$$ to any government including the US. I especially don't want to support a party that lost touch with what America is about and wants (Hint - they lost the last election).

Traveling to Cuba will put the majority of money spent in the hands of the people, not the government.

I would think the US auto industry, ruined by unions and mis-management, would be delighted to supply parts to the junker cars.

We sell rice to China and Russia, why not Cuba? Hell, we even have diplomatic connections to the Taliban.

China is now developing Cuba's offshore oil fields because US companies, 90 miles away, were prohibited from doing so. Where do you think the Chinese got the technology from?

The US only does business with communist and oppressive countries that are capable of challenging the US. Cuba is no threat to the US.

FYI, The unemployment rate in Cuba is 1.8%.

Well, I don't know where you've been, but the U.S. is the #6 largest exporter of food and pharmaceuticles to Cuba.

Well, I don't know where you've been, but the U.S. is the #6 largest exporter of food and pharmaceuticles to Cuba.

We are 90 miles away and only the 6th largest exporter. Pathetic.

In 2004, the Treasury Department had only 4 full-time employees dedicated investigating Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and over 2 dozen assigned to investigating Cuban Embargo violations.

What's wrong with that picture?

Look how much money we give to Saudi Arabia and guess who was flying the planes that crashed into the Towers and Pentagon.

Dave

Look how much money we are giving Detroit and guess who blew up the Murrah Federal building in Oklahoma City.

In 2004, the Treasury Department had only 4 full-time employees dedicated investigating Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and over 2 dozen assigned to investigating Cuban Embargo violations.

What's wrong with that picture?

Care to explain what the Treasury department would be investigating Osama Bin Laden for ??? You seem to be the king of pointless facts....

Care to explain what the Treasury department would be investigating Osama Bin Laden for ??? You seem to be the king of pointless facts....

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Everything is always about money. The embargo, the wag the dog wars in the middle east, everything. It has nothing to do with ideology, politics, religion, etc., etc.

If you follow the money, you find the answers.

Was it the FBI or the IRS that brought Al Capone down?

Do you think there might be terrorist cells in the US? They aren't living on food stamps. Follow the money...

Six Months, but I have a Question...Do you really want to give your $$$ to the current Cuban Government and Political system? Don't flame, just answer the question.

Fidel Castro's time is short, I would start now and lift those restrictions so that one day it too can become a commonwealth of the U.S.

Fred

***Did You Know***

That as an American you can come to Canada....book a direct flight to cuba from Canada and go to Cuba without any hassel ....and then return to Canada

via plane ...I see this everyday as I work at a Canadian Airport ...ppl drive from Buffalo and Detroit and holiday in Cuba all the time

Just an FYI

You do know that it is illegal for an American to do what you describe? Yes Americans do it, yes many of them buy Cuban cigars when travelling but it is still illegal.

I am absolutely shocked that no one has mentioned that some Americans will have rights that others do not have. Where is the equality in this?

Well, I would say that it's pretty generous considering that we DO have an embargo in place.

I think rational people consider denying food and medicine to a country in need a human rights violation.

The embargo is a joke. The UN for years and years has voted that it should end. Historically, I think the only countries opposing are the US, Israel (surprise) and the Marshall Islands (surprise). Sometimes one more or so.

I think rational people consider denying food and medicine to a country in need a human rights violation.

The embargo is a joke. The UN for years and years has voted that it should end. Historically, I think the only countries opposing are the US, Israel (surprise) and the Marshall Islands (surprise). Sometimes one more or so.

So is there any real reason to care what the UN thinks?

I heard a saying long ago...if we fail to LEARN from history it will repeat itself. Too many people no longer understand the sacrifices made for us to live in this wonderful country where - to name just one thing - we have freedom of speech. Our country may not be everything we'd like it to be, but it's a heck of a lot better than any place else. (No disrespect intended for those of you from places other than the USA.)

Cuba is too close for me. I don't trust F. Castro or his brother. I'll pass on any trips there until I see/hear the country is being run differently.

rh3 Thanks for the laugh!

The UN for years and years has voted that it should end. Historically, I think the only countries opposing are the US, Israel (surprise) and the Marshall Islands (surprise). Sometimes one more or so.

The UN doesn't dictate law to the US. We have a little thing called the Constitution that lays out the rules....

Archived