Caribbean vs. Bahamas.

SJChaput

I have heard a lot of people say that the Caribbean is better than the Bahamas and I accept that however how much better would you say the Caribbean is? I live in RI and the Bahama cruise leaves from Maryland and is quite a bit cheaper than the Tampa flight that would get me to the Caribbean ship... It is also a substantially shorter flight, I am flying in the day of the cruise because I am getting married the previous night. The flight to Tampa is like 4 hours with a layover... an hour and ten minutes to Baltimore.

The choice I am looking at now is a shorter, cheaper flight... Carnival Pride ship to the Bahamas vs. a more expensive, long flight... Carnival Legend in the Caribbean..

Would the experts here say that the Caribbean is better by a lot... or just a bit... I don't mind spending the extra money if it is a lot more fun just want to make sure and get some opinions.

I would strongly encourage you to go to the Caribbean. It has so much more to offer than the Bahamas. IMHO - and I am sure you will get a lot of them, if the money or longer flight is not an issue - I would go to the EASTERN Caribbean. I don't know exactly which tour you are looking at or on what vessel; but St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Croix (any of the USVI) have all that the Bahamas have to offer and more. Beach, Snorkel, shop, tour anything. I personally feel threathened more in the Bahamas. I have cruised many, many times and always go back to the Eastern Caribbean - especially if this is the time that I really NEED a vacation. If this is your honeymoon - I'm sure you want the best! I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have; but go CARIBBEAN! Have Fun! Chick.

Just my opinion but I would say pay the extra and go to the Caribbean. Especially if it's for your honeymoon. I've been to the Bahamas and all over the Caribbean and in my opinion the two just don't even compare! I'm not a big fan of the Bahamas. On the other hand, you are on your honeymoon so.... I think you'll have a wonderful time on a cruise regardless. But if you're asking for a comparison of the two as to which is better and by how much than I'd prefer the Caribbean by a landslide!

Also depends on the time of year you are going as the Bahamas are farther north and not that warm, especially the water Jan-March. (think Florida, not that hot then and Bahamas are just out from there) Not to my liking. Cold water is lousey for swimming, snorkeling or any water sport to me. The Caribbeans islands have more personality and the culture of other countries is really interesting.

St Maartin = one dollar beer !

And the Hills and the views are well worthy .

Especially on a honeymoon !

It's something you will never forget.

Don't forget the Skylift in St Thomas

If you've never been or are a destination type person then go with Caribbean. Nassau had absolutely nothing that would bring me back there. We've been considering actually doing one of the bahamas cruises from Baltimore or Norfolk and just considering it a week long cruise to nowhere - we probably wouldn't bother to get off the ship. :D But we are fine with that - a lot of people cruise for the ports where we cruise to be at sea and enjoy the ship.

Our ports are Grand Cayman, Cazumel, Belize and Isla Roatan...

I hope they are good ports as far as the Caribbean is concerned... Took your advice and am now looking at the Caribbean cruises and this is the only one that leaves from a place that doesn't cost a fortune to fly to and is on the day I can go.

Good ports?

I hope they are good ports as far as the Caribbean is concerned... Took your advice and am now looking at the Caribbean cruises and this is the only one that leaves from a place that doesn't cost a fortune to fly to and is on the day I can go.

Good ports?

Great itinerary. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are very tourist friendly. Beautiful beaches, shopping, and gorgeous reefs if you snorkel. Belize is somewhere you will need to plan an excursion - get out to the reef or to the interior to see the mayan ruins or go cave tubing. It's a wonderful country - just get yourself out of Belize city to experience it. Roatan I haven't been to but all the pictures I've seen make it look wonderful!!! You'll find Belize and Roatan are much less developed type ports where Cozumel and Grand Cayman are more built up - you'll get the best of both worlds with that itin.

I live in Maine, so I undersatnd your dilema as far as flying...it is very difficult and expensive to fly out of the northeast...BUT it is SO worth it to do what you can to sail to the Caribbean. I am personally, not fond of the Bahamas at all.

Good ports?

yes!! Any itinerary that includes Cozumel is good :) Roatan is wonderful as well....Grand Cayman is so-so...but Stingray City is very cool.

Belize?? Well, I have been there twice, and twice was enough. Belize is a LONG tender ride and the island is mostly jungle. If you book that cruise and stop in Belize, be sure to book any excursions through the cruise line to ensure that you get back to the ship on time :)

Glad you are choosing the Caribbean!! :)

For these ports can anyone recommend really good excursions?

I saw someone metnion something about tubing through caves in Belize but don't see that anywhere...

What is worth the time and what isn't... I don't wanna spend most of the time at port driving a bus to a destination... I am getting pumped... First cruise ever.

For these ports can anyone recommend really good excursions?

I saw someone metnion something about tubing through caves in Belize but don't see that anywhere...

What is worth the time and what isn't... I don't wanna spend most of the time at port driving a bus to a destination... I am getting pumped... First cruise ever.

Well, in Belize, you will spend a LOT of time getting anywhere, unfortunately...look at the Port Of Call Boards for tour ideas for there. I did the cave-tubing and that was fun...but we booked outside the cruise line.

The second time we were there we did a tour through Mayan Ruins (also booked outside the cruise line) BOTH times we were late getting back to the ship...too nerve-racking if you ask me.

For Cozumel, I highly recommend Nachi Cocum...all inclusive beach :) NICE!! (You book this through Island Marketing...see info on POC Boards)

In Roatan we took a tour with Victor Bodden (see Ports of Call Board for info). It was a GREAT tour :)

Glad to hear you chose Caribbean.....I'll think you'll have a great time!

I went to Nassau once. Now when we're on a cruise that stops there, we stay on the ship.

As to what to do at the ports you've picked....

Cozumel: Lots to do there. I've been to Nachi Cocom several times and am going back next month. There's lots of beaches to choose from. But, there is also ruins to explore.

Belize: We've cave tubed here and went to Lamanai. Both of these I booked independently. You're going in Sept, so the cave tubing should be pretty good since the river should be up. Lamanai is a long ride, but worth it if you're into ruins.

Grand Cayman: Check out Nativeway to see the sting rays. Or you can just take a cab to 7 Mile Beach. Or....if you want to snorkel, just take a right when you get to the pier. Walk down to Eden Rock. You can snorkel from there free.

Roatan: Here, I've ziplined. But now I go to Fins and Flippers. It's a really nice place to relax.

Check out the Ports of Call boards and I'm sure you'll find something you like!

Would the experts here say that the Caribbean is better by a lot... or just a bit... I don't mind spending the extra money if it is a lot more fun just want to make sure and get some opinions.

IMO the Caribbean is definitely better than the Bahamas. There is practically nothing to do in the Bahamas if you ask me. I think the last time I cruised there, we did a waverunner tour where we went out to Starfish Island (think that's what they call it), but you can ride waverunners anywhere. However, if this is not your first cruise, the ports may not be as big of an issue. I'm working on my 4th cruise now and I honestly don't care where the ports are as long as I'm on the cruise ship. The ship is the experience for me.

last year we went to cozumel--did paradise beach--was nice day. kids did water sports and i relaxed--beach was clean--people friendly--they ask you spend at least 10P/P WATER WASN'T BLUE but refreshing and nice

gc--we did a tour to rum cake factory and hell and then dropped us at the beach--loved it--so clean

this year we are doing the pride from baltimor--everyone says half moon cay is great. grand turk is to to be ok-was never there and freeport really i am not thrilled with but oh well. there is no airfare so a 3 hour drive saves $$ a lot of $$ when there is 4 airfares needed.

Good ports?

In Roatan, take the excursion to Gumbalimba park. You get to play with friendly parrots and monkeys!!! Also roatan is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been....enjoy!

I have heard a lot of people say that the Caribbean is better than the Bahamas and I accept that however how much better would you say the Caribbean is? I live in RI and the Bahama cruise leaves from Maryland and is quite a bit cheaper than the Tampa flight that would get me to the Caribbean ship... It is also a substantially shorter flight, I am flying in the day of the cruise because I am getting married the previous night. The flight to Tampa is like 4 hours with a layover... an hour and ten minutes to Baltimore.

The choice I am looking at now is a shorter, cheaper flight... Carnival Pride ship to the Bahamas vs. a more expensive, long flight... Carnival Legend in the Caribbean..

Well, I have to disagree with most stated here... The Bahamas can be a great place to go and being your honeymoon, you are at sea 3 days/nights!!! Depending on the the timing you either go to Grand Turk/Bahamas or Port Canaveral/Bahamas. Both have good qualities.... I would take the extra cash, do the safari (jeep) excursion on GBI (Freeport) and splurge for Atlantis in Nassau... and depending on which other stop either do the Wave machine in Grand Turk and the beach it, or at PC ask for free passes from your Senator to KSC (Kennedy Space Center) or another room day... lol.

Don't get me wrong, the true Carib is wonderful and you should go but with the flight time, chance of being delayed and missing ship/etc. I would go with the departure closer to home

We were on the Legend last Sept. and this itinerery is great. We went swimming with the stingrays then to Rum Point with Nativeway. We went to Playa Uvas in Cozumel and along with a beach day, went on the clear kayaks. In Belize we went over to Bannister Island for a great beach day - highly recommend that, although I think you can only get there through Coral Breeze Tours now. In Roatan, we took a short tour with Victor Bodden Tours, went to see his little zoo with really cute monkeys, then had the driver take us to the beach in the west end. It is absolutely beautiful on the west end!!!!

Archived