Young Children | P&O 4-berth questions

Just wondering what options we have for 2 adults travelling with 2 young children on P&O? (ages 5 and 4)

I've looked at the Interior 4-berth (cheapest option), which is essentially 2 sets of bunks, and DH and I are not sure the girls would go to sleep with us just sitting on the sofa bed waiting!!

Those who are familar with the 4-berth cabins, do you think it would be possible to suction-cap a light curtain to the roof, that would fall on the outside of the two bunks to create a visual divider?

OR is the only other option a connecting twin? While we would love a separate room, however it means LOADS more dollars.

OR if we stick to a single room, would having a balcony give us some extra room to sit in while the girls went to sleep?

TIA

Kylie

Hi Kylie

I'm sure the ceiling on the Dawn would be like the Sun and I think you'd probably need strong tape - like gaffa tape. As its painted wood but rough not smooth so you wouldnt be able to suction cap I dont think. I would probably use a 'light' material shower curtain as it would hold better than a heavy material.

The girls would probably be so worn out that they would sleep well. Also the rocking of ship could send to sleep as well. :)

Hope i helped - Liz

In an interior cabin there isn't a sofa bed so you will be crouched on a bunk bed with another bed on top of you.

Also I do not think I would be putting a 5 year old in a top bunk on a ship. Maybe put the kids both in the bottom ones or even top and tail them if they are small.

If they are both in a bottom bunk you could then maybe just tuck a sheet under the mattress of the top bunk to cover the bottom one.

We do not have interconnecting cabins unless you go to the raphsody. I think they have some.

As Liz mentioned kids usually sleep very well after being busy all day.

I hope you find something that suits your family.

Thanks guys! I didn't even think of putting them on the botton bunks, becuase then (as you said) we could create little 'cubbies' for them but slipping a sheet under the mattress of the uppers.

I've also just noticed that Pacific Dawn (and likely the others) do not have balcony 4-berths :(

Kylie

I like the cubby idea on the bottom bunk.

My understanding is that your 4&5 year olds are not allowed in the top bunks anyway (safety issue).

My girls will be 7 & 9 on our cruise and even they will love the idea of the cubby on the bottom bunk, although I too think they will fall asleep so fast it won't matter. Maybe ask the cabin steward for an extra sheet or blanket to hang down.

Don't forget they can go to kids club till 10pm (I think) and then they have group babysitting (cheap) till later, just then you got to either wake them and take them to cabin or carry them and we all know children add an extra 10 kilos when they're asleep.:eek:

Cheers

Jingles.

PS No 4 berth balconies. :(

Hi Kylie

I cruised last year with a 6 and 8 year old and they were no problem at all when it came to sleeping. They get so tired. They stayed in the kids clud until 10 each night (something I thought I wouldnt allow - but they lie and watch a movie after 8 pm). We are going to take a set of walkie talkies with us on our next cruise for communiction between us and the kids when they are in bed. Not sure if yours are old enough for that yet but worth the consideration. They are not allowed on the top bunk when they are too young. I suggest maybe an outside cabin for the feel of more space.

If you have any more questions concerning the kids I am happy to help.

Hi,

We're sailing tomorrow and our girls are 4 & 6. We too booked the interior 4 berth but have been upgraded to an exterior cabin. My girls think they are sleeping in the top bunks and I have a friend who's 4 yo slept in the top bunk - she had to sign something to say she'd been told they don't recommend kids under 8? sleeping there. Anyway our "plan" is for the girls to go to kids club some nights and other nights stay with us. Whatever we will all have to go to bed together. I'm hoping there's a lamp or something for each bunk so we can read whilst they go to sleep. Will let you what happens on our return!!

I think hanging a sheet on the lower bunks sounds great except there's no way my 2 will give up top bunks and I don't want to sleep there either!

We are going to take a set of walkie talkies with us on our next cruise for communiction between us and the kids when they are in bed.

Not being rude or trying to offend or start anything. But why are you taking walkie talkies? So they can talk to each other in the bunks or are you leaving them alone in the cabin when they are asleep. (personal choice & I'm not condoning or condeming, just asking, my kids are the same age).

Cheers

Jingles.:D

Just wondering what options we have for 2 adults travelling with 2 young children on P&O? (ages 5 and 4)

I've looked at the Interior 4-berth (cheapest option), which is essentially 2 sets of bunks, and DH and I are not sure the girls would go to sleep with us just sitting on the sofa bed waiting!!

Those who are familar with the 4-berth cabins, do you think it would be possible to suction-cap a light curtain to the roof, that would fall on the outside of the two bunks to create a visual divider?

OR is the only other option a connecting twin? While we would love a separate room, however it means LOADS more dollars.

OR if we stick to a single room, would having a balcony give us some extra room to sit in while the girls went to sleep?

TIA

Kylie

Hi Kylie

If you want a little more room in your cabin try and request one of the original 4 berth cabins as they are a little roomier. The floor size is the same but not as cluttered as the top bunk comes down from the ceiling and not the wall. There is a thread posted on here about which cabins were original 4 berths, just do a search otherwise google Regal Princess and check the deck plan to see which cabins were 4 berths. I'm booked in D166 and that is an original if it helps.

Thanks Brossy. I saw that thread re: new vs refurb and noted down the cabin numbers :)

Mine will be happy on the bottom bunks thankfully, so there will be no arguements about wanting to go the top one. I think the extra sheet as a cubby will be the way to go, plus letting them stay at the kids club, or with us, at night ... and then we all collapse into bed together. Hey, maybe they will sleep in after being up so late *evil grin*

Kylie

Thanks Brossy. I saw that thread re: new vs refurb and noted down the cabin numbers :)

Mine will be happy on the bottom bunks thankfully, so there will be no arguements about wanting to go the top one. I think the extra sheet as a cubby will be the way to go, plus letting them stay at the kids club, or with us, at night ... and then we all collapse into bed together. Hey, maybe they will sleep in after being up so late *evil grin*

Kylie

Hi Kylie

I think the cubby idea is great :D. I might try it as I am taking my 3 year old on her first cruise in July & there is no way she'll be on the top bunk. Otherwise I might set up a bed for her on the windowsill because there is a lot of room there & the early morning light won't bother hers as she's always been an early riser anyway :)

Yes we do leave them there on their own. We do go and check on them from time to time. There is also a phone in the room if they need to use it to the pursers desk and they are very comfortable doing this. They did it on the last cruise no problem. (My friends mum was in the cabin across from ours on the last cruise) There are also secruity carmeras on cruise ships and if there were any strange people entering cabins it would all be on security camera. Many ships offer a child minding service which is a roaming babysitter.

The walkie talkies are for them to comunicate with us.

I guess it depends on the maturity of the children. My children are very independant and would not every try to leave the cabin if they were told they were not allowed to. They normally go to bed at about 10 pm and they are exhausted.

Yes we do leave them there on their own. We do go and check on them from time to time. There is also a phone in the room if they need to use it to the pursers desk and they are very comfortable doing this. They did it on the last cruise no problem. (My friends mum was in the cabin across from ours on the last cruise) There are also secruity carmeras on cruise ships and if there were any strange people entering cabins it would all be on security camera. Many ships offer a child minding service which is a roaming babysitter.

The walkie talkies are for them to comunicate with us.

I guess it depends on the maturity of the children. My children are very independant and would not every try to leave the cabin if they were told they were not allowed to. They normally go to bed at about 10 pm and they are exhausted.

I'm guessing our kids are around the same age (7 & 9). Mine are also very mature and independent. As for the security camera's catching any strange people entering cabins - what good is that after the fact, too late. I'm not aware of P&O offering roaming babysitting services. I have heard in the past (long ago) this may have been an option. You are going on a different cruise line.

Don't want to get into an argument here as you are entitled to do what you like with your kids, as they are YOUR resposibility. There is no way I would ever ever leave mine asleep or awake unattended in the cabin at night on their own or at any resort/holiday destination. (we have travelled extensivley in aus & o/s). Too many if's buts or maybes that could happen that I would have to live with forever.

But that's me and your you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jingles

Archived