A little extra

osp320

You might think it is demeaning but there is always a thank-you note attached to it and the people always write back Saying that they are grateful.

What do you expect them to say?

You could throw it on the floor and they would bend over and pick it up and say thank you. Still doesn't mean it wasn't demeaning to throw it on the floor in the first place.

...human interaction can be more valuable than anything.

I agree that human interaction is very valuable. We have been to many of the places that the staff was from and they loved talking about their homelands. This was NOT in lieu of tips, but a way of connecting. Being able to share stories about the locales was fun and allowed staff to slip into being humans instead of waiters or stewards, etc.

And I somewhat agree that although it was meant with all good intentions, making a game out of tips sounds a wee bit like you are treating your steward as a child playing hide and seek. I really think it was fun for you and perhaps many of the staff are young enough to find it fun, but you might want to be careful not to insult these guys. Too often they are treated as children, particularly insulting in cultures where "face" is very important. And they are all too well trained and polite to ever give you any indication that simply putting it on the pillow might be more appreciated.

Archived