Have a Plan B

LiseM

Adventurous snorkelers who don’t like the cattle call of ship excursions beware! You often will be delighted that you took the path less traveled, but those ship’s tours do have a magic safety net. You won’t get left behind, or if something untoward happens you will be compensated in some way!

Before cruising, on excellent recommendations, we chose a tour by a small outfit for one of the islands. When our ship docked late, and another cruise ship was also docked, the passengers from the other ship went off on the excursion, and the operator left us high and dry. We had no prior knowledge of the other ship,or its signed-up passengers.

It was plain economics. There were more from the other ship, and they were on time, and another group, again not known by us, was waiting for the next tour, so we got left. If we had been warned that could happen, we would have had a plan B. And yes, the operator was remiss in not explaining this possibility. Eventually we did find something, but 5 hours wasted on a short shore visit can ruin one’s whole experience on an island. So be adventuresome, and find your own tour, but be warned, and have a plan B!

Adventurous snorkelers who don’t like the cattle call of ship excursions beware! You often will be delighted that you took the path less traveled, but those ship’s tours do have a magic safety net. You won’t get left behind, or if something untoward happens you will be compensated in some way!

Before cruising, on excellent recommendations, we chose a tour by a small outfit for one of the islands. When our ship docked late, and another cruise ship was also docked, the passengers from the other ship went off on the excursion, and the operator left us high and dry. We had no prior knowledge of the other ship,or its signed-up passengers.

It was plain economics. There were more from the other ship, and they were on time, and another group, again not known by us, was waiting for the next tour, so we got left. If we had been warned that could happen, we would have had a plan B. And yes, the operator was remiss in not explaining this possibility. Eventually we did find something, but 5 hours wasted on a short shore visit can ruin one’s whole experience on an island. So be adventuresome, and find your own tour, but be warned, and have a plan B!

Excellent advice! I never thought they'd leave you high and dry!

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly... did you schedule the tour with the ship or not? I'm assuming that by scheduling with the ship the tour operator would honor the booking, docking late or not. Are you saying that isn't the case???

We'll be looking to schedule a dive in Belize or Cozumel but are trying to decide to book through Carnival or on our own...

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly... did you schedule the tour with the ship or not? I'm assuming that by scheduling with the ship the tour operator would honor the booking, docking late or not. Are you saying that isn't the case???

We'll be looking to schedule a dive in Belize or Cozumel but are trying to decide to book through Carnival or on our own...

my understanding of the post is that PO booked an excursion with a company not affiliated with the cruise line. Since the ship arrived late, and the tour company had other customers, the tour left without OP. The company was unsympathetic and because they did not have a plan b, they ran into a lot of frustration.

my understanding of the post is that PO booked an excursion with a company not affiliated with the cruise line. Since the ship arrived late, and the tour company had other customers, the tour left without OP. The company was unsympathetic and because they did not have a plan b, they ran into a lot of frustration.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I guess that's just another reason (like OP suggested) to have a back-up plan! :rolleyes:

I have booked lots of private excursions (those not through the ship) and have not had a problem before. But, I do make sure that the company I book with is reliable. I had read of some operators not performing the excursion if a certain number of tourists didn't show up. They would refund your money, but that left you without an excursion. I always check to make sure they will perform no matter how few show up. The word usually gets around about those that don't, and they loose future business. I think you should post the info on the company you used that left you without a tour so others will know their practices. That is the only way we can help weed out the good from the bad.

The operators had such a small set-up that they went with the majority of passengers from another-ontime-cruise ship. I went over the problem with them afterwards, letting them know that their fellow snorkel trip operators had saved the day for them. I asked for an apology and got one, and said they owed their friends a beer. Those friends had saved my whole island experience!

I strongly recommended letting people who book with them know that if a ship was late and other clients were there on time, to warn people to have a plan B. I had to understand when an outfit is so small they did what they had to do economically, BUT people who booked should be warned. Because my day was rescued, I backed off from screaming about them. Others have loved them, that's why I went with them, so I just decided to let it be a lesson to me.

And also, for the first questioner. This was not a ship tour. But even ship tours will be canceled if not enough people subscribe. I know people who wanted to view Panama City, who ended up viewing the canal, and 5 hours at a shopping mall! They were switched, but not exactly to the day they planned. C'est la vie, cruising! LiseM

Something similar happened to me in Freeport the other day. Long story short, the Captain couldn't sail because it was too rough. Since I thought it was probably okay, we paid a lot of money for a private cab, only to find NO snorkeling boats running. That's okay, because I don't want a ruthless skipper letting me snorkel when it's not safe. But the skipper just stayed home, no sign on his boat, or message at the resort desk.

If I had booked a ship's excursion I would have saved myself a lot of hassle, stress and an expensive cab fare. Because of that, I'm only going to book something like snorkeling through the ship from here on out.

Steve, I agree the ship tours are safer, but stepping beyond often brings a more personalized experience. Those of us who try going it alone, though, have to plan. I've taken both kinds of tours, and enjoyed some ship tours, and really enjoyed those I planned on my own, but now I realize the risks of the tours I choose on my own. I must know the kinds of questions to ask of the operator I'm contacting, and have that PLAN B!

One bright thing: the more we cruise, the better we get at scoping out the shore cruises! Communication has to get better, if these tour operators read our comments online. So we need to keep the chatter going. As more people cruise, the operators will have to get better at explaining the happenstances their prospective customers may encounter. Cruise ships are way ahead in this respect. Their excursion personnel communicate well. Hope your next trip is smoother sailing! LiseM

Archived