Tipping..

Cruisin'Nick

I was wondering, because my DM brought it up to me earlier today.. How does the tipping work with all the various people we come in contact with. IE: Head Server, Assistant Server, Stateroom Attendent. Do we pay in advance, as we go, or all at the end? Help please?

On the second to last night or the day of the last night on the ship, ( I forget exactly when) you will be given envelopes in your stateroom for all of the people that you come in contact with on a regular basis such as waiters, room stewards etc. You will also get a sheet with the recomended amount to tip each person. This is merely a suggestion, and you can go higher or lower acording to service etc.You can also choose to charge it to your room if you so choose.

For those that you see only occasionally such as room serivice or bar tenders, then you tip at that time.

Barging in here to ask a question: Do you tip the person directly (hand him or her an envelope) or add the tips to your account? I would prefer to add them to my account than to hand people money, but I want to make sure the apprpropriate people actually receive the tips.

You can add them to your account, and you are given a receipt that you place in the tip envelope and present to your servers and stateroom host or hostess on the last evening. It is traditional to present the envelopes and thank the person for their service, even if it doesn't have actual cash in it.

Barging in here to ask a question: Do you tip the person directly (hand him or her an envelope) or add the tips to your account? I would prefer to add them to my account than to hand people money, but I want to make sure the apprpropriate people actually receive the tips.

I generally hand them the envelope with the money in it on the last night, so that we can thank them personally then usually take a picture. You can do it either way. I think that its more personal as I have had the same waiter 2 or 3 times on different trips and he has remembered me.

Keep in mind they are separate envelopes marked for each person you come in contact with. Its not 1 envelope for everyone.

I am looking for a pic of the envelopes Ill post one if I can find one.They are fairly small a little smaller than what youd get from the bank on a withdrawl

• 4 weeks later...

K, we decided to go ahead and pre-pay our gratuities ahead of time. Saw and went by th chart on DCL website about who, and who much. When it says Dining Manager, it says "By your Discretion." Was wondering..how much do people usually tip their DM's? On a per person, per night basis? Trying to figure it up now so I'm not fumbling for a number while on the phone with the rep. Thanks so muchin advance, guys. You all have helped us out so much.

Let me look around here. I have one of the forms from the ship from my last trip that has that info on it. As soon as I find it I ll post it.I want to say it was fairly low like 3 or 4 dollars per person for the trip. It sounds low, but when you take into account that a room that may have 50 or so tables x 3 or 4 dollars pe family and it adds up pretty quick.

Could not find the form, but did find the same recomended amounts in the DCL book I have here from 09.The prices are per guest per cruise:

3 night 4 night 7 night

Dining Room Server: 11.00 14.75 25.25

Asst. Dining Room server 8 10.75 18.75

Head Dining Room Server 2.75 3.75 6.50

Stateroom host/hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25

Your welcome. If you have not traveled with Disney before on either of the ships, go over to your local bookstore and pick up the "Official Guide to the DCL" Its by the same people who write the books for the parks. There is a lot of helpfull info in there for different things.

Could not find the form, but did find the same recomended amounts in the DCL book I have here from 09.The prices are per guest per cruise:

3 night 4 night 7 night

Dining Room Server: 11.00 14.75 25.25

Asst. Dining Room server 8 10.75 18.75

Head Dining Room Server 2.75 3.75 6.50

Stateroom host/hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25

We just got off yesterday, May 23rd. There has been an increase. For seven day, the recommended tip is:

Dining Room Server: $28

Asst. Dining Room Server: $21

Head Dining Room Server: $7

Stateroom host/hostess: $28

Thanks you for the heads up. I am not surprised at the difference in the book and whats onboard.I have noticed one or 2 other things that are different also between the book and what is either onboard or on the webpage. Usually in the prices, as its easier to update a webpage or whats printed on the ship vs a book.The book I have still comes in very handy when trying to plan your vacation and see what is onboard and available.Or what is where.

Archived