Stanley Park/Prospect Point Info Needed

irishgrandma

One month from today we will be enroute to Vancouver to catch the Norwegian Sun for a hopefully fantastic Alaskan cruise. First we are spending 2 days in Vancouver and one full day in Stanley Park. To anyone who knows the ropes at Stanley Park, specifically Prospect Point, I need a little help in planning. How far is it from the entrance of Stanley Park to Prospect Point? Easy walk? And is it possible /easy to walk from there to the Lions Gate bridge to watch the Saturday cruise ships leave? If you actually walk to the middle of the bridge, can you see over the side ok? Also the last time we were there, taxis in the park seemed rare and hard to find. We were told to walk to the nearest hotel and we would find one. We did not and it was quite a hike to our hotel. Forgive me for all the questions...I just want this to be the BEST trip ever.:)

Depending on which way you decide to get to Prospect Point from the Park entrance it will either be a long boring walk or a longer scenic walk.

Here's a link to the Stanley Park web site:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/index.htm

The quickest way is to follow the noise of the causeway and walk straight to the Prospect Point turnoff - I do this on bike and it would be at least a a 30 - 45 minute walk.

The second and scenic way is to take the Seawall from the entrance and follow it around until it just before the bridge you will see a well defined trail heading up to the Point.

FYI - there is a re-build of the viewpoint area currently taking place - don't know when it will be finished but it looked fairly well done the last time that I was through there. If I am through there in the next little while I will update.

Yes it is fairly easy to get from Prospect Point to the Bridge - there is a well defined trail that starts by the concession that will take you down to the bridge level - you will need to decide which side of the bridge that you will want to view the ship. This will only take 5 - 10 minutes.

There are two large viewing platforms on the Bridge and yes you can see over the side but remember that except for the viewing areas the bridge sidewalk is fairly narrow and for your safety and the cyclists safety use the viewpoints.

Peds can walk the bridge decks in either direction - cyclists must go with the traffic flow.

Somewhere one my blog I have pictures from a recent ride across the bridge if I can find the post I will link it here.

Enjoy your visit and enjoy your cruise on the "Sun" - my first NCL cruise ship.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived