Summit Review-3/28

Mplsluv2travel

We are all ready back in the swing to things and have almost forgotten the vacation we were just on. We did have a nice relaxing time. We flew into San Juan on the 3/27 and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was ok for one night. It was close to some restaurants & a Walgreens as well as the ocean. We brought a 6 pack of diet coke & 12 bottles of water on with us with out any questions asked.

3/28 we checked in at the dock at about 12:30. There was no line and we walked right on. The cabins were not ready but we were invited to help ourselves to the buffet. By the time we were done eating at 1 p.m. they made the announcement that the cabins were ready. We went to the cabin to drop off our items. Our seating arrangement information as well as our excursion tickets were all ready there for us. We left the ship and found a cab and went to the Old San Juan Pier and caught a ferry across so that we could go to the Baccardi Rum factory tour

As you get off the ferry there is a guy yelling Baccardi then you follow him to a covered parking area and they drive you to Bacardi-$3.00 per person each way. The tour was interesting and the samples were good.

We made it back to the ship just in time for the muster drill. It is a good thing because I would not have made it until 10:30. It is nice that Celebrity listened to their customers and moved it.

We had dinner in the dining room (late seating) and met our table mates for the rest of the week. We got along great. After dinner we would go to deck 10 Aft & visit and have a few drinks. I thought the food was all right each night, but it did not seem up to the quality or quanity that we had 6 years on the Constellation. We never went hungry.

Sunday was St Maarten-our Lord Sheffield Tall Ship excursion was canceled Saturday evening because of weather. We rebooked on the Golden Eagle snorkle & sail. The snorkling was not all that great but they had to change from their normal location because of rough seas. The water was absolutely a beautiful blue. This was a totally relaxing day...my husband really enjoyed the rum and cokes. We saw Tiger Woods beautiful yatch anchored. I guess that is not an uncommon site. The crew was absolutely grand. We also heard that the America's Cup excursion was great. We both would like to return here for a weeks vacation.

We had a little excitement or fear Sunday early evening. I had been sitting out on the balcony and my husband came to join me. He closed the balcony door all the way with out knowing that the handle had flipped down. With that handle down it locks wheather you are inside or out. He thought it was funny (rum & cokes) we not so much. I was lucky enough to catch one of our neighbors & they got the room attendant to let us into our room after about 10-15 minutes.

Monday-Dominicia. We took the Pools & Falls Nature. It was an all right tour. I thought that we would see a lot more falls. We met some really nice people on the tour, but you spent most of your time in the bus. To me it was not worth the $62 each. We also reported that our refrig was not working. It never did work the whole cruise.

Tuesday-Grenada. We did the Adventure River Tubing. We did have fun on this. The workers love to splash you. In one place they actual trap you and splash you for minutes on end. It is a very short excursion 3/4 mile (so maybe 1/2). Again I felt a little over priced at $64 each. We spent most of the time in a bus getting there & back. Once back to the ship we had lunch and then went to check out Fort George. Not much of the fort left, but the views are very nice.

Wednesday-Bonaire. My husband went scuba diving, not overly impressed so maybe he did not go to the right places. He indicated he saw a lot more in Cozumel. I took the Discover Bonaire tour. Again on the bus most of the time-only 3 stops and not much to see at any of them. I could return to Bonaire if it was for 3-4 days for diving & snorkling.

Thursday-Aruba. We did the horseback riding. The ranch was very clean. We enjoyed our 2 hour ride. In the late afternoon we went on a Sunset Catamaran cruise. It was too late in the season for the sun to set while still on the cruise & get us back to the ship in time for sailing. We could probably go back here for a weeks vacation also.

Friday-Sea. These days get long for both of us.

I really liked having the balcony. I could be outside but I could be away from people & noise. We ate at the Normandie on Tuesday night. The food was good, but I do not think I would do it next time. It is personal service, but I paid the extra $30 to get a very small filet migon. I am not complaining. We go on vacation to experience different things just would not do it again.

The ship had some pretty good entertainment on it. I enjoyed Port Authority, pianist, guitar/singer, the on board singers/dancers were good. There was a singer from Britian and she had a beautiful voice. The comedians were not all that great.

We are both not shoppers so we would quickly walk around the towns, that is except the Grenada shopping area. We drove through it on the bus tour & it just did not give me a safe feeling.

Hope you find the review helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Archived