transatlantic cruise weather!

dazza

Hi we are thinking of booking a transatlantic barbados to southampton in march 2010, my question is what is the weather like on the five sea days between the carribean and the cannaries then the three sea days back to southampton.

I`ve never done that one but I`ve cruised to the Canaries blissfully unaware of the dreaded "spring tides". It was about the end of March beginning of April I think. I`m a very poor sailor so was very sick as were many of the others. Sick bags were hung everywhere and there were staff with mops and buckets posted on all corridors and staircases. What a horrible memory! It was about 10 years ago and on an awful old ship. I learned from that though and am prepared to put up with losing the first day on a cruise out from Southampton and one on the way back. The rest of the time is so lovely its worth it.

I`m sure you would be fine and it sounds a great trip.

I did the transatlantic on the Ventura last month. The five sea days between St Lucia and Teneriffe were very calm. However the last three days to Southampton were a bit more bumpy but the Ventura handled the seas well. One thing that was a bit strange was that they did the time changes at 12 Noon instead of the more traditional change during the night.

I loved this cruise and have booked to repeat it in 2010 on the Ventura and in 2011 on the Azura. But you do have to like sea days.:)

Paul.

We did Oceana from Barbados to Southampton in March and the sea was calm all the way across even going through the Bay of Biscay.

The weather wasn't that great (it rained on the first day of our 5 days at sea) but there was enough to do to ensure that it didn't matter if you weren't sitting in the sun.

This was our first transatlantic and we thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it:)

Does that mean you get to eat lunch twice?:D

No, going east you lose an hour for four days. So Noon becomes 1 PM . I think some passengers felt a bit short changed. I tended to have a late breakfast at 11.30 and then grabbed a few sandwiches at afternoon tea. Not that you ever go hungry on a cruise.:)

Paul.

Archived