Vacation Packing Check list

Here's a list I found online. I put it in a Word document and made a few changes. I'm going to email it to my sailing guests.

I thought I'd share. It can be edited to add or remove whatever you like.

I'm not able to upload it because I'm using XP and when I convert it, it doubles the size. I can email the list if anyone wants it.

alysiab@hotmail.com

Here is what we sent to our guests that are joining us. Sorry it is so long.

SUGGESTED ITEMS TO BRING

Medical kit

an assortment of over-the-counter meds (each in snack ziplocs & labeled with the cut-out front of the box)

Extra RX meds that we might need

Eyeglass repair kit (small & cheap)

Small scissors & tweezers

A couple of band aids and antiseptic cream. Everyone will be getting a small first aid kit in their welcome bags.

And don’t forget a trial size can of Lysol spray the pillows and the bathroom, toilet, shower floor

Extras

Swiss army knife

travel alarm clock

Backpack & beach bag

Case for my glasses while snorkeling/at beach

Take ziplocs on beach/wet excursions to protect cameras & stuff

Small McCormick(?) pepper mill (I hate to wait at dinner) or special salad dressing i.e.: Spritzers

Candy & gum that we like and might not find onboard

Phone cards to make international calls

Antiseptic wipes and alcohol wipes for cuts etc.

Something to stick on the door so we can find our room easier

Print out some business-type cards with your contact info to pass out to people you meet

Drink setups--

Magic Bullet blender for margeritas--small & powerful (new tip for us!)

OJ into empty water bottle at breakfast buffet

Fruit from buffet into a Ziploc & the fridge (lemons, limes)

Soda of our choice brought onboard

A paring knife (for cutting fruit)

Diet Caffeine-free Pepsi or coke (cause you rarely see it onboard!)

32oz plastic cup with straw for cold drinks

If you like Coffee first thing every morning you can bring a small 4 cup coffee pot or call room service the night before and have your coffee delivered to your cabin when you want.

If you like Splenda be sure to bring your own as they don’t usually have it on the ships.

24oz insulated mugs-- like from Starbucks

Sugar, milk, cream, etc-- room service or heist from buffet.

Useful Items:

*Bring singles - pain in the butt to get change from the purser and helps with tipping for the little things along the way (room service etc).

*Balcony cabins usually have just chairs and a small table – If you give a tip to your room steward on the first day - ask for a lounge chair (usually they will grab one or two and set you right up

*duct tape, freezer bags and clothes pins have TONS of uses.

Bring a hanging sweater organizer. (The ones that hook over the closet rail and have several large square compartments.) It was great for the kids to store their clothes and I didn't have to worry about cramming everything into the limited drawer space.

*bring a vinyl pillow cover so that I don't have my face in a pillow someone with the norovirus had from the previous voyage.

*Travel with a penlight. I've used it during power outages, for a book light, even to look for something in my purse in a dark room or venue. I use a maglight, it's smaller than my pen and gives me just enough light to see without bugging everyone around me.

Bring a night light/ alarm clock

Bring water shoes

Bug Repellent

Bring a sweater the dining room can be cold.

A pop-up hamper for your dirty clothes (you can get them at the Dollar Tree or 99 cent only stores.)

Night light for bathroom (for that unfamiliar path after dark)(Dollar store again - you can get very low light LEDs if you need it dark to sleep)

Bring on own bottles of water, and soda and save $$$

Bring a reusable cup with lid...less trips to get a drink

Bring Duct tape

Bring a highlighter-The highlighters are good for highlighting the activities you want to do in the daily newsletter that says all of the things happening each day) detach the days activities instead of carrying the whole daily newsletter.

Bring post it note- to leave notes on your door for everyone.

Bring an extension cord/power strip

Bring an over-the-door shoe bag to attach to the bathroom or closet door (or just hang in the closet). We have a cloth one, so it folds up very compactly. This is not just for shoes- we use it to hold all the assorted junk (cameras, sun blocks, water wallets, duct tape, highlighters, etc) that would normally clutter up the cabin.

Bring travel hooks to hang stuff in your room

Bring a few paper funnels to make filling the water bottle easier.

Bring towels from home to avoid fearing losing one

Take a hand towel with you to the beach it will help remove sand and is handy for lots of other things too.

Baby powder helps remove sand.

If you have clothes that are nearing the end of their useful life, take them, wear them and then throw them away. Think of all the room you will have to take new stuff home.

Bring your own washcloths as MSC doesn’t always furnish them.

Bring suntan lotion with an SPF 30 or higher as the sun in the Caribbean is very intense.

MSC furnishes small sample bottles of Shampoo, Conditioner, body wash and bath soap. If you have a certain type that you use you should bring.

Bring a small package of clothes soap to wash out unmentionables since MSC doesn’t have a self serve laundry on board.

Bring own toiletries, makeup and etc.

Bring soda and water in your checked luggage and a small amount of each in your carry on.

If you are bringing Liquor or wine onboard be sure to pack in Ziplocs and put in your CHECKED bags only.

For Kids:

*Pack each complete outfit (socks, undies, shirt and shorts) in a gallon ziplock. Then you can pull the baggie and give it to the child without having to dig through a million little pieces of clothing.

*--The kids club activities MAY be wrong in the kid program. They have been known to have misprints. So double check all events before you leave your child.

Here is what we sent to our guests that are joining us. Sorry it is so long.

SUGGESTED ITEMS TO BRING

Medical kit

an assortment of over-the-counter meds (each in snack ziplocs & labeled with the cut-out front of the box)

Extra RX meds that we might need

Eyeglass repair kit (small & cheap)

Small scissors & tweezers

A couple of band aids and antiseptic cream. Everyone will be getting a small first aid kit in their welcome bags.

And don’t forget a trial size can of Lysol spray the pillows and the bathroom, toilet, shower floor

Extras

Swiss army knife

travel alarm clock

Backpack & beach bag

Case for my glasses while snorkeling/at beach

Take ziplocs on beach/wet excursions to protect cameras & stuff

Small McCormick(?) pepper mill (I hate to wait at dinner) or special salad dressing i.e.: Spritzers

Candy & gum that we like and might not find onboard

Phone cards to make international calls

Antiseptic wipes and alcohol wipes for cuts etc.

Something to stick on the door so we can find our room easier

Print out some business-type cards with your contact info to pass out to people you meet

Drink setups--

Magic Bullet blender for margeritas--small & powerful (new tip for us!)

OJ into empty water bottle at breakfast buffet

Fruit from buffet into a Ziploc & the fridge (lemons, limes)

Soda of our choice brought onboard

A paring knife (for cutting fruit)

Diet Caffeine-free Pepsi or coke (cause you rarely see it onboard!)

32oz plastic cup with straw for cold drinks

If you like Coffee first thing every morning you can bring a small 4 cup coffee pot or call room service the night before and have your coffee delivered to your cabin when you want.

If you like Splenda be sure to bring your own as they don’t usually have it on the ships.

24oz insulated mugs-- like from Starbucks

Sugar, milk, cream, etc-- room service or heist from buffet.

Useful Items:

*Bring singles - pain in the butt to get change from the purser and helps with tipping for the little things along the way (room service etc).

*Balcony cabins usually have just chairs and a small table – If you give a tip to your room steward on the first day - ask for a lounge chair (usually they will grab one or two and set you right up

*duct tape, freezer bags and clothes pins have TONS of uses.

Bring a hanging sweater organizer. (The ones that hook over the closet rail and have several large square compartments.) It was great for the kids to store their clothes and I didn't have to worry about cramming everything into the limited drawer space.

*bring a vinyl pillow cover so that I don't have my face in a pillow someone with the norovirus had from the previous voyage.

*Travel with a penlight. I've used it during power outages, for a book light, even to look for something in my purse in a dark room or venue. I use a maglight, it's smaller than my pen and gives me just enough light to see without bugging everyone around me.

Bring a night light/ alarm clock

Bring water shoes

Bug Repellent

Bring a sweater the dining room can be cold.

A pop-up hamper for your dirty clothes (you can get them at the Dollar Tree or 99 cent only stores.)

Night light for bathroom (for that unfamiliar path after dark)(Dollar store again - you can get very low light LEDs if you need it dark to sleep)

Bring on own bottles of water, and soda and save $$$

Bring a reusable cup with lid...less trips to get a drink

Bring Duct tape

Bring a highlighter-The highlighters are good for highlighting the activities you want to do in the daily newsletter that says all of the things happening each day) detach the days activities instead of carrying the whole daily newsletter.

Bring post it note- to leave notes on your door for everyone.

Bring an extension cord/power strip

Bring an over-the-door shoe bag to attach to the bathroom or closetdoor (or just hang in the closet). We have a cloth one, so it folds up very compactly. This is not just for shoes- we use it to hold all the assorted junk (cameras, sun blocks, water wallets, duct tape, highlighters, etc) that would normally clutter up the cabin.

Bring travel hooks to hang stuff in your room

Bring a few paper funnels to make filling the water bottle easier.

Bring towels from home to avoid fearing losing one

Take a hand towel with you to the beach it will help remove sand and is handy for lots of other things too.

Baby powder helps remove sand.

If you have clothes that are nearing the end of their useful life, take them, wear them and then throw them away. Think of all the room you will have to take new stuff home.

Bring your own washcloths as MSC doesn’t always furnish them.

Bring suntan lotion with an SPF 30 or higher as the sun in the Caribbean is very intense.

MSC furnishes small sample bottles of Shampoo, Conditioner, body wash and bath soap. If you have a certain type that you use you should bring.

Bring a small package of clothes soap to wash out unmentionables since MSC doesn’t have a self serve laundry on board.

Bring own toiletries, makeup and etc.

Bring soda and water in your checked luggage and a small amount of each in your carry on.

If you are bringing Liquor or wine onboard be sure to pack in Ziplocs and put in your CHECKED bags only.

For Kids:

*Pack each complete outfit (socks, undies, shirt and shorts) in a gallon ziplock. Then you can pull the baggie and give it to the child without having to dig through a million little pieces of clothing.

*--The kids club activities MAY be wrong in the kid program. They have been known to have misprints. So double check all events before you leave your child.

Thanks. I'm gonna add the ziploc bags, pop up hampers, post-its, and highlighters to my OOT bags.

Here's a list I found online. I put it in a Word document and made a few changes. I'm going to email it to my sailing guests.

I thought I'd share. It can be edited to add or remove whatever you like.

I'm not able to upload it because I'm using XP and when I convert it, it doubles the size. I can email the list if anyone wants it.

alysiab@hotmail.com

http://cruises.about.com/cs/cruiseplanning/a/packinglist.htm

some of you aren't able to open the document. It might be because it's Word 07 on vista. In case, I used the information from this site.

I think that list is WAY too long! Who brings their own towels or a personal blender on a cruise? I consider packing light to be far more useful than any single item on a list. You don't want any newbies thinking that they have to bring a ton of stuff, or they won't have a good time.

I think that list is WAY too long! Who brings their own towels or a personal blender on a cruise? I consider packing light to be far more useful than any single item on a list. You don't want any newbies thinking that they have to bring a ton of stuff, or they won't have a good time.

Personally, I pack a lot. Especially since my cruises have been 8 nights. And I bring my own towels. Usually 2 from home. It's all about personal preference.

Like I said, feel free to customize the list to your liking. I did.

• 5 months later...

Archived