Looking for opinions - Cruising out of NYC

agix

We will be leaving on the Miracle June 9th out of NYC. We are planning on taking Amtrak from Chicago to NYC Penn station which arrives the June 8th around 6:30pm. I assume that the train arrives on time and since we are arriving the day before we should be okay. Anyone have any thoughts about train travel? Should I plan to leave maybe an additional day earlier?

What kind of hotels can be found in the area around Penn station? I can find a hotel deal ($150 after taxes and fees) for a 3.5-star hotel in Chelsea - Madison Square Garden Area. Is this a good price for a hotel in this area? Is this a safe area? It looks like it nearby the pier where we would be leaving.

Any further thoughts or opinions that I might not have considered?

Thanks!

Derek

Due to the fact that you are already arriving the day before your cruise, there is no need, based on train reliability, to arrive another day earlier. At worst, this train is generally not more than 1-2 hours late...

I think I am having the same problem as the other thread mentioned. It won't let me book 2 Adults and 2 children, it displays an error and then is removed from the list for that session. If I re-try with 3 adults and 1 child, it shows up again but for a slightly higher fee.

Do you know how strict hotels are if I where to say book 2 adults and 1 child even though I would have 2 children? Would I be able to call the hotel afterwords and claim a booking error and it should be listed as 2 children?

Derek

I think I am having the same problem as the other thread mentioned. It won't let me book 2 Adults and 2 children, it displays an error and then is removed from the list for that session. If I re-try with 3 adults and 1 child, it shows up again but for a slightly higher fee.

Do you know how strict hotels are if I where to say book 2 adults and 1 child even though I would have 2 children? Would I be able to call the hotel afterwords and claim a booking error and it should be listed as 2 children?

Derek

If you only book 2 adults and 1 child, you are booking for THREE people. It appears you need 4. So either book for 3 adults and 1 child or 4 adults. You will be charged for the fourth person either on the phone if you call or when you check in.

The hotel you are looking at is new (hasn't even opened yet). It is in an excellent location. And a 3.5* hotel in Midtown Manhattan is a heck of a deal at anything less than $175.00. So pay the higher price, enjoy the new hotel and congratulate yourself on finding a heck of a deal.

When we contacted Carnival for our cruise they said there is a discount you can get for taking amtrak into the city. If you call they should be able to give you a discount code that you can use when ou book your tickets.

Archived