Booking Dive with Cruise Ship

Scubabill1955

Booked a cruise on Carnival's Triumph leaving May 3rd, 2009 out of Miami and going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel.

I will be the only diver in my group. I was looking at the ship excursions and they don't tell you the name of the dive operation that they use. Is there anyway to find out?

Out of the 3 places above and only could dive at one which one would you choose?

I basically like reefs to take pictures. Shallower will be good as there is more bottom time.

Thanks,

Bill

Booked a cruise on Carnival's Triumph leaving May 3rd, 2009 out of Miami and going to Ocho Rios
Would definitely be our Last choice to dive for sure (not even in the running actually)
Grand Cayman,
Our close 2nd choice to Cozumel (have not dove with the ships dive op at Cayman) but the diving can be great around Grand Cayman
Cozumel.
This would be my 1st choice as Cozumel is by far our favorite place of the three you will be visiting. The only downside to Cozumel is it is drift diving and when you are with the ships group you can't stop and take a lot of pictures as the rest of the group drifts away.

I will be the only diver in my group. I was looking at the ship excursions and they don't tell you the name of the dive operation that they use. Is there anyway to find out?
At Cozumel they will probably use Sand Dollar

I basically like reefs to take pictures. Shallower will be good as there is more bottom time. Thanks, Bill

I agree the more bottom time and the brighter the light the more critters there will be to enjoy (and photograph) the better I like the dive........ Just try to buddy up with someone that also has a camera or like me get your DW certified and buy her a good camera to help her get interested in diving and photography (in that order :D and you will always have a great picture taking dive buddy, of course now she likes diving so much if I died tomorrow she would probably bring her future dive buddy to the funeral :eek:).

Booked a cruise on Carnival's Triumph leaving May 3rd, 2009 out of Miami and going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel.

Out of the 3 places above and only could dive at one which one would you choose?

I basically like reefs to take pictures. Shallower will be good as there is more bottom time.

Thanks,

Bill

For shallow dives, I would recommend Grand Cayman. There is excellent shallow shore diving there. The pictures below are taken without flash near Devil's Grotto at Eden Rock at about 8 ft. and 15 ft. respectively. You'll have to figure out how to get a dive buddy though. I think you can hire a dive master there (I know you can at Sunset house). You may want to try checking on the roll call boards to see if there are any divers there. Eden Rock is a 5 min walk from the tender port. Sunset House is about a mile further down shore. You'll find lots of info on both with an internet search.

PICT0011a.JPG.db8f33b1332965d241a0fcf4ce929377.JPG

click to enlarge

PICT0024a.JPG.c6968ee5c49218a29cf8f91abcf6ed0c.JPG

click to enlarge

I've not done any shallow diving in Cozumel. The deep diving is excellent, but, as Earl pointed out, it is mostly drift diving.

Never been diving in Jamaica. I've been told diving in Ocho Rios is not worth the time or money if you have other options.

We dove in Grand Cayman and Cozumel last July on our Royal Caribbean cruise. We dove with Alison in Cozumel and with the ship in Grand Cayman. We much preferred the dive in Cozumel. Our ship went to Ocho Rios but we chose not to dive there. I had heard that it wasn't a good port to dive at (overfished). We did Dunn's River Falls and tubing and had a great time.

For shallow dives, I would recommend Grand Cayman. There is excellent shallow shore diving there. The pictures below are taken without flash near Devil's Grotto at Eden Rock at about 8 ft. and 15 ft. respectively. You'll have to figure out how to get a dive buddy though. I think you can hire a dive master there (I know you can at Sunset house). You may want to try checking on the roll call boards to see if there are any divers there. Eden Rock is a 5 min walk from the tender port. Sunset House is about a mile further down shore. You'll find lots of info on both with an internet search.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

What's a "roll call board"?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks,

Bill

In Grand Cayman, they use Don Fosters and in Cozumel they use Sand Dollar Sports.

If I could only dive in one of the three places, I would choose Cozumel.

Mark

Archived