Tahiti airport xray affect on film

Joe Friday

I've heard several horror stories of film being destroyed by X-Rays in Papeete, and also of disinterested inspectors not hand checking film.

I took digital pictures except for my underwater shots, which I had developed on the ship before departure. In my opinion it's just not worth taking a chance with your vacation pictures.

Their X-Ray machines are not necessarily using the same levels of radiation as our machines here in the US, and they don't have to hand inspect if they don't feel like it. I may not be able to change either of those facts, but I can develop my film before departure. Why take a chance?

Last year, they had the machines turned up high enough to ruin some ISO 400 film. This year we put everything including the hand carries through the hugh luggage scanner. The ship's leading photographer told me that high-power X-rays will and can damage the Compact Flash type digital cards as well. All of mine came home fine except for the large capacity 4 gig lexar chip which is now dead.

John

Archived