Please Critique our budget itinerary

Disney Girl 202

That is what we thought too and then talked to some people who were disappointed in Alcatraz - so we were still debating it.

I've met these people before...they were also disappointed with Disney World because they never once ran into Walt Disney. :rolleyes: We've been to SF several times and have always made sure to head to Fisherman's Wharf/Alcatraz and hike at Muir Woods. Also, make sure before returning your rental car (on the Muir Woods day to travel down Lombard Street and also a couple of the really steep hills...your kids will have a blast! :)

I've met these people before...they were also disappointed with Disney World because they never once ran into Walt Disney. :rolleyes:

The mistake they made was going to Disney WORLD! If they had gone to DisneyLAND with proper credentials they could have seen Walt. He is in a cryogenic valut located underneath Cinderella's Castle. I read it on the Internet- so it must be true!! :D

I've met these people before...they were also disappointed with Disney World because they never once ran into Walt Disney. :rolleyes: We've been to SF several times and have always made sure to head to Fisherman's Wharf/Alcatraz and hike at Muir Woods. Also, make sure before returning your rental car (on the Muir Woods day to travel down Lombard Street and also a couple of the really steep hills...your kids will have a blast! :)

Unfortunately you can no longer drive down Lombard as the residents objected to all the tourist traffic, so they closed it to thru traffic. I live close to SF and have done the Alcatraz tour several times. It really is worth it - just the boat going over with the view of the City is worth it. haven't really hiked through Muir Woods as we live 15 miles from Yosemite, but that whole area of the Bay is very scenic so I'm sure it's lovely.

We love walking across the Golden Gate! Muir Woods is also one of our faves on the coast. What is not to love in that area?

One option in Ketchikan is the city bus which is inexpensive, safe and the drivers and pax love to give you all the information about the area. Some of them have great stories to tell. Real Alaskan flavors. Our fifth Alaskan trip next month so we have tried them all! Enjoy!

I know this is the Alaska board BUT...We did SF with a 6 year old and a 2 year old. My DH and DS 6 took at tour across the Golden Gate Bridge in an old time fire truck. It had an open top and they had to wear fireman jackets and hats for the ride. They both loved it! Sorry, don't remember the name of it now but I am sure an internet search would find it.

Just a thought to get the kids a "ride" across the bridge without using bikes.

Have a great trip!!!

We went to Alaska last summer with a 12 and 15 year old and to San Francisco last month for 2 days with a 13 year old.

Juneau- we spent the day hiking at Mendenhall Glacier and then lying on the beach soaking up the sun. My son waded into the lake and pulled out bergy bits. The day was one of the highlights of the trip. The bus fare was $7 each way and eliminated the hassle of renting a car.

Sitka- we spent the morning with Captain Davey on a birding trip and the afternoon at the small national park. Check the tide tables to see if you will be there at low tide. The park headquarters has buckets, magnifying glasses and field guides if you want to go tide pooling. The walk through the park with the totem poles is very nice.

Ketchikan- we were going to take the bus to Totem Bight Park but motivation was low early in the morning. We ended up walking around town. The Forest Service museum is good if you are interested in the topic as if the museum devoted to the preservation of the old totem poles. Everyone felt this was the least enjoyable of our stops and we will make more of an effort to get out of town if we return.

Victoria- when we visited the gardens before we spent an entire day there. A quick trip in the evening was not as interesting for us. Keep in mind that it will be getting dark early in September. We walked into town. There was a band playing at the inner harbor, mimes performing, old ships to look at and the state buildings have lovely grounds. We also walked over to Chinatown and stopped and looked in some art galleries. The kids enjoyed this stop more than Ketchikan.

San Francisco- look into the City Pass. We saved money with this last month. For my son, the best parts of the trip were Alcatraz (the audio tour is excellent) and biking across the Golden Gate Bridge (adult City Passes have a coupon for the ferry return from Sausalito). The route to the bridge goes along the beach and to an old fort. There is an uphill portion but it is a side road without too much traffic. The bike/walk path is separated from the cars on the bridge and the road to Sausalito is all downhill. We also enjoyed the newly renovated Cal Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park adn the Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts.

Thank you all so much for all of the advice - it has helped so much. I am a little concerned about Ketchikan, but hopefully the city walking tour and a hike will keep us entertained.

I certainly hope we can fit everything into San Francisco. I was looking at the city pass, but was afraid we wouldn't even have time to do all of those things. Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much for all of the advice - it has helped so much. I am a little concerned about Ketchikan, but hopefully the city walking tour and a hike will keep us entertained.

I certainly hope we can fit everything into San Francisco. I was looking at the city pass, but was afraid we wouldn't even have time to do all of those things. Any thoughts?

In Ketchikan you could always take the Blue Line Bus out to Totem Bight State Park. Has several totems and if you print off the guide before you go, you would know what each totem stood for. About 1/2 hour each way for the bus ride and an hour or so there. Cost about $2 each way (We went last May and it was free).

Archived