Port Canaveral - Please Help

VABeach

OK, I'm spoiled. We have a beautiful beach, first class theme parks and even NASA. Been there, done that a thousand times, (or at least our version of it anyway.) It's making it hard for me to find something I want to spend time and money doing in Port Canaveral. Is this a "stay on the boat" day, or is there something really exciting that I'm missing?

We'll have a day at sea the day before and the day after stopping there, so I'm hoping someone has a really well kept secret or something. Has anyone had any fun/exciting times there?

While you may have your version of NASA, you have not seen NASA until you've been to Kennedy Space Center! It's a wonderful experience and well worth seeing. Who knows ... you might get lucky and have a rocket launch while you're there! We've been there many times and there's always something new to see.

Now if Kennedy Space Center or going to the beach does not interest you, there is always the world famous Ron Jon's Surf Shop. That place is huge and is so much fun to wander around in.

There's also a great restaurant, Grills, right near the pier with lots of good Florida seafood. It's fun to sit outside and look at the water while you eat.

You can also do an airboat ride and hope you get to see some gators. That's fun too!

I'm sure others can come up with more suggestions. It definitely is not a stay on the ship day. Get off the ship and see why many of us feel blessed to call central Florida home!

1 -

There's a great little 'eco-tour' via boat that leaves from a waterfront restaurant on Merritt Island. Goes through the 'Thousand Islands' area. You'll see mangroves, a good variety of water birds, and MAYBE turtles, Manatees, and Dolphins. The guides are informative and sometimes entertaining. See www.Islandboatlines.com for further details.

2-

For shopping in a quaint area, there's 'historic' Cocoa villiage. While there, you might lunch at the Black Tulip.

3-

You can rent a Jet Ski, and scoot along the Banana River.

4-

The aforementioned airboat ride is exhilirating, fast, fun, loud, and you are practically guaranteed multiple, multiple gator sightings, along with other sights to be seen only in the near-everglades environment of the brackish, marshy headwaters of the St. Johns River, one of the few rivers that actually flows in a northerly direction.

5-

At Marlin's, on the Cocoa Beach Pier, munch on a huge piece of Chocolate Kaluha Cake as the waves of the Atlantic break beneath you. Ask for a window seat, and watch the inevitable surfers below you while you eat. Afterwards, stroll out farther on the pier, where you can hand feed Pelicans.

6-

For nature types, the 140,000 acre Merritt Island National Wildlife Preserve, complete with both driving and walking trails, is home to hundreds of species of wildlife, some of which are endangered. Their website: http://merrittisland.fws.gov/

7-

Ashley's, a restaurant on US1 in near-by Rockledge... well, some say it's haunted. For best chances of 'sightings', get a table on the second floor.

Here's one of the airboat rides available - http://www.nbbd.com/airboatrides/If you do a web search, it will bring up an number of different ones. We've never done it, so I can't even tell you what the price might be.

Just a suggestion, but you might also want to check over on the Ports of Call board. There may be other ideas or suggestions of who to book an airboat tour with.

There are several airboat rides, but not are what I would call near the pier. You might want to rent a car to get to one - or take the ship's excursion.

The one we have used in the past is about 20 miles WNW of the pier, and is, I believe $15.00 pp for a 60-90 minute ride.

The eco-tour boat ride is about a 15 minute taxi ride S of where you dock, and the place to rent Jet-Skis is several blocks from the restaurant where the exo-boat picks you up. If I remember correctly, the price is around $15.00 here as well.

The Cocoa Beach pier is about 10 minutes ESE by taxi, and Cocoa Villiage is about 15 min SSW. No charge for admission to the main part of the pier.

7-

Forgot to mention the Astronaut Hall of Fame!

8-

Just found something else - I've never done this one, but it sounds really neat, and I may try it next time we have company. Check out their web site http://www.spacecoastnaturetours.com/AboutUs.htm Both their "Standard Tour" and their "Flying Boat Adventure" sound worthwhile (You'd need a rental car for this one, too... about 20-25 miles N of the Port, but you could stop at Dixie Crossroads for some great seafood on the way, and at the FREE U.S. Spacewalk of Fame park and/or museum on the way back).

9 -

If you're into History, the 'Vailiant Air Command Warbird Museum,' near Titusville (need a car again) might interest you.

Thanks FS!:D

We are only pulling into port there, it's not a before or after cruise stop. With such limited time, is it really worth it to go through all the trouble of renting and returning a car? Everytime I've rented a car in FL it's been long lines and a big hassel. Is it close and convienant? Are there other transport options?

here are some things to do with kids....

Flamingo oretty much covered it all.. Love cocoa village, love teh cocoa beach pier, LOVE ASHELYS!!! especially the womens bathroom (spooky)

here are a few other suggetsions

we do have a zoo it is about a 25 minute trip in a car..

www.brevardzoo.com

also if you are into history a 35 minute drive to Fort Christmas is neat if you have kids or if it is near x mas to get all your cards stamo\ped from their post office...

another do not miss once in a lifetime thing is DISCOVERY COVE at sea world book a half a day and go swim with the dolphins it is truley a magical once in a lifetime thing.. much better than the dolphin swims on teh cruise

www.discoverycove.com

take a drive to orlando and do teh worlds largest mcdonalds and while you are there stop off at wonderworks

www.wonderworksonline.com

if you like gocarts junglevillage is just outside the port.

hope you have a great time their is tons of stuff to do around here.....

the airboats are not to be missed nor is the boat tour around the islands to see the manatees etc...

as for renting a car if you do not want to do that i am pretty sure they have the fun bus that is running for you guys with stops at the mall and mabe even cocoa village... (of course walmart also for the crew) It is usually for crew but i think they do indeed have a shuttle now for passengers... (i think)

It seems the guys would like to do some Fresh Water Bass Fishing. Does anyone have any advice on that? I thought that I had heard there was some fresh water near the pier. Is that true? If so, can you fish there? Do they have fishing supplies for use or would they need to bring their own rods on the cruise?

No fresh water bass fishing anywhere near here that i know of... maybe some inland but it would be about an hour drive to a fresh water area...(although fishing is not my thinkg I could be wrong?)

Archived