Things to do in Key West??

kann52

Just curious what everyone likes to do in Key West. My husband and I will be cruising with two other couples and we would like some ideas to toss around with everyone. Has anyone been lately? Is Duval street worth visiting since the fire?

• 1 month later...

There's so much to do! You can get on the water or stay in town or do both! Personally, I like bar hopping, eating and seeing the sights... like the Hemingway House. Or, try out Blue Heaven for a yummy brunch with freshly made Bloody Marys and Mimosas. Rent a bike or a scooter. Pop into some bars to listen to the live music. Stare and laugh at all the ridiculous t-shirts that adorn every storefront on Duval Street. Play beer pong at Cowboy Bills, throw your bra onto the rafters at Capt Tony's, or try to pose with a rooster. Of course, watch the performers at sundown at Mallory Square. Or maybe check out the tarpon that swim near the wharf. And lastly, don't forget to sample a key lime pie on a stick!!

I'm a huge beach person, so Key West isn't my favorite stop. But, we had a great snorkeling excursion from there once, and one other time we went to a hotel (on our own) and rented jet skiis. Both times we've ended our day walking around a bit and getting Key Lime Pie. Enjoy!

Our cruise ship got into Key West at 7:00 and we had to be back on the ship by 2:30, with the shops not opening until 10:00 we had to pack a lot into a short amount of time (plus eat at Margaritville while there).

Once off the ship we rented a golf cart -- we had 7 people so we had to rent the 6 seater and pack 3 into one seat (we had kids so it worked). The rental was $139 and it was one of the best decisions we made the entire cruise. The 4 seaters are less expensive.

We were able to zip around to all the sites such as the Hemingway House, the Southernmost point, see all of Duval Street, Mallory Square, etc. There are plenty of side streets off Duval and around the other attractions to park at a meter (just have some quarters).

It was so hot that day and walking Duval would have been misserable. We would have probably seen a block or two and headed in for shade and air conditioning. But as it was, we got to see all of Key West and had a blast while touring.

Once off the ship we rented a golf cart -- we had 7 people so we had to rent the 6 seater and pack 3 into one seat (we had kids so it worked). The rental was $139 and it was one of the best decisions we made the entire cruise. The 4 seaters are less expensive.

Where did you rent the golf cart? What was the name of the place? I assume you mean that you did not have it reserved, you just got it when you arrived? Sorry, so many questions, but I have never been there YET

Thanks

Where did you rent the golf cart? What was the name of the place? I assume you mean that you did not have it reserved, you just got it when you arrived? Sorry, so many questions, but I have never been there YET

Thanks

Right as you walk off the ship there was a vendor renting the golf carts, scooters, you won't have to look far, they are right there. We did not rent ahead of time as we were not sure what we wanted to do that day. If it was raining buckets, we were just going to stay on the ship.

I highly recommend the golf cart route, so easy and you see so much more.

We did the Margaritaville Walking Tour through CCL and my parrot head boyfriend was in heaven. We also walked to the Southernmost Point, passed the light house and Hemingway's house (across the street from each other). Still had time to eat at B.O. Fish Wagon (SO GOOD!) and eat some key lime pie and another drink at Cpt Tony's, did a little shopping and then went to the Mel Fisher mueseum before getting back on board.

Lots of walking and water, but enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived