Scuba Blue Hole

Cincycruising

We are going on the Legend on July 12, 2009. We have stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan and want to go on 2 different scuba dives. Which locations have you dived or recommend that we dive.

Also, has anyone done the Scuba excursion in Belize that you.... SCUBA...FLY AND DIVE TO AMBERGRIS CAYE?

They fly you out to the area and you make 2 dives then low altitude fly back to the port. I am interested in finding out more info about this excusion or where to possible book it and do you go to the Blue Hole or see it from the flight?

Thanks for the help.

I don't think the Blue Hole is particularly close to Ambergris Caye. I also don't think you pass the Blue Hole while flying to Ambergris. Good luck. I haven't heard of any Blue Hole specific dives from the cruise lines, but you might want to try an independent Belizean operator.

We are going on the Legend on July 12, 2009. We have stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan and want to go on 2 different scuba dives. Which locations have you dived or recommend that we dive.

Also, has anyone done the Scuba excursion in Belize that you.... SCUBA...FLY AND DIVE TO AMBERGRIS CAYE?

They fly you out to the area and you make 2 dives then low altitude fly back to the port. I am interested in finding out more info about this excusion or where to possible book it and do you go to the Blue Hole or see it from the flight?

Thanks for the help.

When we were in Belize recently [on the Legend], our day there ended up being very short. Unless you had an early ship-sponsored tour, then they weren't even offering tender tickets before 09:30 even though the arrival time was listed as 8am. We had to be back for the last tender at 3PM for a 4PM departure. I just felt like there was hardly enough time to such an involved excursion and ended up on a ship sponsored tour. Unless your day ends up being in port longer, you may have a hard time doing any trips that involve flying. It does sound like a great excursion though:)

• 4 weeks later...

cincy, i'm doing the same cruise in september and i'm a diver. i hate the idea of doing the ship sponsored dives because they are usually cattle boats with people who dive once a year. usually, to book a different diver operator it takes several people. so, i'm conflicted. i would really love to hear about your cruise and the diving. i want to dive at every stop.

The only cruise that used to do Blue Hole dive was the Wind Star but they had 9 hours in port no other cruise line will offer it. Carnival has a professional operator in Belize that pick up and drop off directly at the ship and really doesn't make it feel like a "cattle boat". I suggest that is the way to go, especially in Belize where you don't dock and have to wait until all shore excursions to leave before you get off. You have limited time to shop around and the ship might leave without you. It is also highly unlikely you will get any good diving at the Barrier Reef in the summer due to prevailing southeaterlies and low vis. Turneffe Atoll is the best place for diving any time in Belize. You can also look at reports on Scubaboard. Search in the Belize section. There are a few cruise ship dive reports posted. I like the one from ScubaBill1955 and it's the same way I felt when I dove with them on a Valor dive the other week.

The only cruise that used to do Blue Hole dive was the Wind Star but they had 9 hours in port no other cruise line will offer it. Carnival has a professional operator in Belize that pick up and drop off directly at the ship and really doesn't make it feel like a "cattle boat". I suggest that is the way to go, especially in Belize where you don't dock and have to wait until all shore excursions to leave before you get off. You have limited time to shop around and the ship might leave without you. It is also highly unlikely you will get any good diving at the Barrier Reef in the summer due to prevailing southeaterlies and low vis. Turneffe Atoll is the best place for diving any time in Belize. You can also look at reports on Scubaboard. Search in the Belize section. There are a few cruise ship dive reports posted. I like the one from ScubaBill1955 and it's the same way I felt when I dove with them on a Valor dive the other week.

Can you provide a link to this review? I searched, but didn't find it. Thanks.

Can't post links but you can Google Scubaboard and take it from there. There are also several operators advertising cruise ship diving to the Barrier reef but it's really a hit or miss as surface conditions are not always favorable for small craft. I recommend Turneffe Atoll any time of the year.

I have done a cruise to Belize and recently spent a week staying in Ambrigis Caye, and while there did the trip to the Blue Hole.

From Ambrigis Caye to the Blue Hole is a 3 hour boat ride each way. That is w/o boat problems, ours took 3 1/2 hours.

The Blue Hole Dive lasts 20 minutes. You drop down to 130 feet, stay down for 5-8 minutes then begin a slow ascent to the surface. Its a drift dive, so you are moving around the hole as you ascend.

The next two dives on the Lighthouse Atoll were two of the best I have done in the Caribbean.

That said, I would not consider trying to do this off a cruise ship. It was a 12 hour trip total from start to finish. We left at 6am from AC.

The other thing about Belize is that the boat has a could 20 minute tender from the boat to Belize City. Then you would have to catch the flight on either Mayan or Tropic Air from there to AC ($96RT). While its a low level flight and very scenic, its not anywhere close to the Blue Hole. Everything in Belize ran on island time, meaning I wouldn't want to have to make a final tender. It would be very risky.

This is the one port I would use the cruise's excursion. Mine was with Hugh Parkey to Turneffe Atoll, which is nicer than Ambrigis Caye. they pick you up and drop you off directly at the ship, no tender needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived