Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

You know the cruise line would just love the revenue it will generate with those sea days! That's what frustrates the heck out of me as well.

Why are the cruiselines the bad guys all of a sudden? If you have one ship that gets infected and comes back to the U.S. with hundreds of people sick it could shut down the entire industry. I'll be cruising at the end of May and will be happy with whatever Carnival decides is the appropriate measures for the cruise.

How would you feel if you brought the virus back and exposed someone who got seriously ill or even died? I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

My cousin is a news business in Mobile. I asked about the Carnival ship and what was known about it at this time. They missed the Cozumel stop. They are due back to Mobile on Thursday. Someone had said way earilier on this board that they thought that they would be screening all the people coming off the ship in Mobile. The CDC has not stated one way or the other on this. However, my cousin says this story keeps changing minute by minute. We are going on a Mexican Riveria cruise in 2 months. I can't imagine that the cruise industry would not do everything possibe to make sure that their passengers are safe. This is how the industry survives.

How would you feel if you brought the virus back and exposed someone who got seriously ill or even died? I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

The virus knows no boundries at this time......it has already spread over the border.......chances are just as good getting infected here too.......

The virus knows no boundries at this time......it has already spread over the border.......chances are just as good getting infected here too.......

Exactly, like the ones here, he was on a business trip to MX. So everyone he flew back with was exposed, all of their families and community members were exposed etc. It's beyond the don't go there or you will get it point. It's here already.

This is the latest travel info from the U.K

British holiday companies suspended their operations to Mexico following the outbreak of the deadly swine flu virus.

Britons were warned to avoid all but essential travel to the country as world health officials said the virus can no longer be contained.

The UK braced itself for further cases as officials issued new travel advice after the World Health Organisation (WHO) raised its alert over the outbreak to level four, signifying a "significant increase in risk of a pandemic".

Tour operator Thomson cancelled two flights due to leave the UK for the Mexican resort of Cancun. The company added that it was bringing home all Thomson and First Choice holidaymakers already in Mexico.

Meanwhile, Thomas Cook and Airtours, which have about 3,000 holidaymakers in Mexico at the moment, were also expected to suspend Mexico holidays.

The first two British cases of swine flu were confirmed on Monday and more suspected infections have also emerged. The Foreign Office said: "We are now advising against all but essential travel to Mexico." It added that British nationals "resident in or visiting Mexico may wish to consider whether they should remain in Mexico at this time".

Quote from Tiscali news.

We are cruising to Cozumel in August, I guess it will have blown over by then, or RCC will just alter itinary.

Apparently, this year's dose of the flu vaccine is part human flu, part bird flu, and part swine flu which explains why there seems to be a partial immunity here in the States.

Comforting, yes. But I'm certainly not getting on an NYC subway for a while ... :D That's my one concession to the swu, as we call it -- you know, like J-Lo. Swine Flu = Swu.

I would say the chances are significantly better contracting the disease in Mexico than anywhere in the U.S.

Thank you for your email.

There are currently no reported cases of swine influenza on Carnival ships or in

any of the ports that we visit in Mexico. We are consulting closely with public

health officials and government agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control

and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Department of

Homeland Security to monitor the situation.

Carnival enforces the highest of standards for cleaning and sanitation on all of

our ships to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We have well trained

medical staff and expansive reporting capabilities on board. Working with U.S.

public health officials in the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program, we have

extensive practices and procedures that are effective in mitigating illness

aboard our ships. We do not anticipate that our guests' cruise experience will

be impacted by this type of illness.

We are aware that the CDC has recently issued a Travel Health Warning which

recommends the postponement of non-essential travel to Mexico. We are currently

reviewing the implications of this new development and will provide an update on

our plans by 5:00 p.m. today. This information will be available on our website

at www.carnival.com.

For further information on swine influenza, visit the CDC’s web site at

www.cdc.gov.

I would say the chances are significantly better contracting the disease in Mexico than anywhere in the U.S.

Well my point was they would not be able to contain it just to Mexico even if they stopped all travel to Mexico........it has already spread......

Please tell your cousin that we appreciate the updates -- thank you for posting this!

My cousin is a news business in Mobile. I asked about the Carnival ship and what was known about it at this time. They missed the Cozumel stop. They are due back to Mobile on Thursday. Someone had said way earilier on this board that they thought that they would be screening all the people coming off the ship in Mobile. The CDC has not stated one way or the other on this. However, my cousin says this story keeps changing minute by minute. We are going on a Mexican Riveria cruise in 2 months. I can't imagine that the cruise industry would not do everything possibe to make sure that their passengers are safe. This is how the industry survives.

Thanks for sharing this information. The U.K.'s Fred. Olsen has already announced that next week's Acapulco stop (Balmoral) has also been eliminated.

This is the latest travel info from the U.K

British holiday companies suspended their operations to Mexico following the outbreak of the deadly swine flu virus.

Britons were warned to avoid all but essential travel to the country as world health officials said the virus can no longer be contained.

The UK braced itself for further cases as officials issued new travel advice after the World Health Organisation (WHO) raised its alert over the outbreak to level four, signifying a "significant increase in risk of a pandemic".

Tour operator Thomson cancelled two flights due to leave the UK for the Mexican resort of Cancun. The company added that it was bringing home all Thomson and First Choice holidaymakers already in Mexico.

Meanwhile, Thomas Cook and Airtours, which have about 3,000 holidaymakers in Mexico at the moment, were also expected to suspend Mexico holidays.

The first two British cases of swine flu were confirmed on Monday and more suspected infections have also emerged. The Foreign Office said: "We are now advising against all but essential travel to Mexico." It added that British nationals "resident in or visiting Mexico may wish to consider whether they should remain in Mexico at this time".

Quote from Tiscali news.

We are cruising to Cozumel in August, I guess it will have blown over by then, or RCC will just alter itinary.

LATEST NEWS, PORT CANCELLATIONS: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3196

Melissa, you are doing an excellent job of keeping us informed and we truly appreciate it!

My cruise on the Glory Saturday has two scheduled ports of call to Mexico, but as another one traveling in our group has noted, we don't care where they take us as long as we are on that ship and we intend to have fun!!

I'm going this weekend and one of the stops is Cozumel. Would they cut the cruise short or stay longer at another location or ....

Chances are they would just stay out to sea on your scheduled Coz day. Ports are run on a schedule so they can't really stay over past their designated time or they face large fines. They need to be moved for the next boats to get in. They won't shorten your cruise if you paid for a 5 day you'll get 5 days (or however many days you paid for).

I don't know about you guys, but I just want a week away. Even if that means spending a week on a luxury floating hotel in the Chesapeake Bay.

Sure... I would be a little disappointed to miss some of the stops, but I would say that coming home with good health and a week of R&R would be my priority.

Now if there was a passenger aboard with the Swine, then I would probably be part of the group that would toss the person overboard.

Everyone needs to calm down! What happens, happens. There's virtually nothing that you or I can do about it. If you are that worried, then cancel your trip, lock your doors and head for the bunker!

Archived