Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

OMG, my husband and I said the same thing to each other this morning. Nothing is ever "easy" for us and we actually had to laugh at our terrible luck in cruise booking. We are booked for May 30th on Ecstasy out of Galveston. Only 2 port stops are in Mexico. I can't stand the thought of 5 days at sea with my TWO 5 year olds who will just be devasted if they don't get to swim with the dolphins.

Amy

you may want to watch for them off the back off the back of the ship and see them in the wild. Corraling up dolphins is kinda cruel. Dolphins are mammals and have also been known to get a bit aggressive (sexual and dangerous) around women especially if the women are menstruating. The escapade has turned into a nightmare for some.

Hi, you are very welcome for the swine updates! I don't do any boards moderation, however, so I honestly don't know what could have happened to your posts/poll. I'd suggest clicking the contact us button on the bottom of this page for more info!

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

Since you seem to be the manager of all things swine related (thank you so much by the way) I have a quick question (sorry it's a big of a highjack). Did I get sensored? I posted a poll on how bad people thought swine flu is and now it's gone (actually I posted two, I failed on my first attempt, but the second was great and the link was "invalid" after only a few minutes). Any idea why? This was on the main Carnival page.

you may want to watch for them off the back off the back of the ship and see them in the wild. Corraling up dolphins is kinda cruel. Dolphins are mammals and have also been known to get a bit aggressive (sexual and dangerous) around women especially if the women are menstruating. The escapade has turned into a nightmare for some.

And this is relevant to the current conversation in what way?????

Miami - April 29th 5:00 PM (TODAY'S date AND time!)

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Please check back periodically for the latest information. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.

Hmmm....I guess that's all we're going to get?!

I'm totally pissed. We've been waiting all day and they now wait until 6 p.m. to say that we can't have the information until tomorrow??

I have someone coming in from out of town, and child care arrangements that will be impacted. I need this information ASAP.

If other cruise lines can announce changes, why can't Carnival?

It would be most helpful if Carnival could tell us the Splendor itinerary for the next few weeks. I know they're working hard to figure out next week but the threat of this flu isn't going to be allayed in a week or in a couple of weeks. They need to be manuevering for all the May sailings.

I'm so sad to say that I'm already disappointed.:cool:

Just called and they said to check back tomorrow! Damn!

If thats the case they are going to have a LOT of pissed off customers. They said yesterday they would have the details today. To update the website to say check back tommorrow isnt going to cut it.

In the event anyone from Carnival is reading this... people have plane tickets to change around as well, and can't do so until you tell us what we can do with our cruises (Mexican Riviera in particular). I am not going to sail to S.F. I will pay more for a cruise in the Caribbean gladly, but I can't until you tell us what we can do!

I wasn't irritated in the least until Carnival just posted what they did. I understood this was not the fault of the cruise line, but I do however expect prompt action in trying to make this right.

Everyday the plane ticket gets more and more expensive. I am already going to DOUBLE my ticket price changing to the Caribbean.

I haven't seen anything about any cases in those regions. We have a land vacation to Cozumel planned for July and right now we are still planning on going. You may check on those port-of-call boards and see if there is any updated info.

I hope you are not feeling bad.

Actually, I did wake up with a fever this morning, so I was a bit worried. I had no other symptoms, but it is very rare for me to run a fever. My daughter the nurse insisted that I go to the hospital for a swine flu test. I went, just for peace of mind. The test was negative. I DO NOT have any type of flu. Just wanted to clarify that, in case anyone was wondering. I surely wouldn't want to start a panic about Cozumel and Progreso!

I hope the ships return to those ports ASAP. Not only do I feel very badly for the passengers who miss their ports, but it must be a terrible financial hardship on the hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who make a living catering to the passengers of these ships. :(

If thats the case they are going to have a LOT of pissed off customers. They said yesterday they would have the details today. To update the website to say check back tommorrow isnt going to cut it.

I completely agree. I can somewhat understand for cruises that are a week or so out. But I'm due to leave on Saturday morning. Are they trying to wait until the last minute so that we basically have no choice but to go forward with a cruise that we don't want?

I do understand that there are many things about this situation that are outside of Carnival's control. That just makes it more important for them to handle the things that ARE within their control (like port changes) well.

In the event anyone from Carnival is reading this... people have plane tickets to change around as well, and can't do so until you tell us what we can do with our cruises (Mexican Riviera in particular). I am not going to sail to S.F. I will pay more for a cruise in the Caribbean gladly, but I can't until you tell us what we can do!

I wasn't irritated in the least until Carnival just posted what they did. I understood this was not the fault of the cruise line, but I do however expect prompt action in trying to make this right.

Everyday the plane ticket gets more and more expensive. I am already going to DOUBLE my ticket price changing to the Caribbean.

Exactly...I REFUSE to go on the Pacific NW sailing. I dont even know if I can switch my airfare to a different location but I would should like to have the OPTION of doing so. I still prefer the Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Splendor but I would certainly prefer the caribbean over SF, Seattle and Canada...ugghhh

This is unfortunate for everyone involved. We will have to live with whatever decision is made...JUST MAKE IT ALREADY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just read on another site that some Bay Area schools have closed for a week because of this flu. Students have been sick - don't know if it is confirmed or suspected. So is going to San Francisco any safer than Mexico just because it's in the US?

Exactly...I REFUSE to go on the Pacific NW sailing. I dont even know if I can switch my airfare to a different location but I would should like to have the OPTION of doing so. I still prefer the Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Splendor but I would certainly prefer the caribbean over SF, Seattle and Canada...ugghhh

This is unfortunate for everyone involved. We will have to live with whatever decision is made...JUST MAKE IT ALREADY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Agreed. I want my original cruise, but understand the circumstances. Just let me make other arrangements!

Most airlines will allow you to change/cancel your flight for a fee of $150 plus the difference in cost. To me... this is $900 MORE than what it was flying to LA. I will gladly make the change... just TELL ME I CAN!

Just read on another site that some Bay Area schools have closed for a week because of this flu. Students have been sick - don't know if it is confirmed or suspected. So is going to San Francisco any safer than Mexico just because it's in the US?

I'm from San Jose (about 40 miles south of SF) and the school that closed is a San Jose area school. A 16 year old girl, who just came back from SoCal, tested "probable" for swine flu. The high school is closed for a week.

Hi, you are very welcome for the swine updates! I don't do any boards moderation, however, so I honestly don't know what could have happened to your posts/poll. I'd suggest clicking the contact us button on the bottom of this page for more info!

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

Since you seem to be the manager of all things swine related (thank you so much by the way) I have a quick question (sorry it's a big of a highjack). Did I get sensored? I posted a poll on how bad people thought swine flu is and now it's gone (actually I posted two, I failed on my first attempt, but the second was great and the link was "invalid" after only a few minutes). Any idea why? This was on the main Carnival page.

Archived