Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Wow. I feel very fortunate that on our Valor cruise Cozumel gets replaced by Key West and we don't lose any stop. Many of the other cruises didn't fair so well.

Some are very interesting - if I lived near some of the Gulf ports and had been wanting a cruise to somewhere other than Mexico, I would book some right away.

For example: 05/04/2009 Holiday sails to Key West and Freeport

I can understand all of your frustration in not know where your ship is going but really now, think about it. Carnival is doing it's best to provide you with a safe cruise. They are abiding by the warnings not to travel to Mexico as are all the other cruiselines!!! Now, put all of those cruiselines together and then all of their ships that may be travelling to Mexico - all of these have to be diverted. That is not just a matter of saying oh, well, we go here and here and here. They have to contact the Ports, find ones that have openings, make arrangements to be able to dock there. Figure out the timing changes, line-up the Pilots, check on if excursions are available, etc. Now, remember they are contending against all the other cruiselines and ships. There is a lot involved and answers might not be that quick to find.

I'm sure they are doing the best they can and are trying to get the information out to you as quick as they can but it's not that simple!!!

PLEASE, CUT THEM SOME SLACK!!!

I can't even respond to the issue of cancelling the tips as that is just ludicrous.:eek:

I just spoke to Carnival customer service regarding itinerary for Splendor May 3 sailing and they had finally just received confirmation within the last 30 minutes - PV is being replaced with San Francisco, Mazatlan is being replaced with Victoria, and Cabo is replaced with Seattle. If you do not like these stops they are allowing you to receive a refund on the cruise.

It looks like the people booked on future Esctasy cruises are really being affected. Now I ask this. If you were booked on a 5 day cruise that has now been converted to a 7 day, do you get 2 extra days FREE or are they going to come & ask for more $$$$ or what.

Definetly could get UGLY.

Were you by any chance on the Mutiny on the Miracle cruise??

I just spoke to Carnival customer service regarding itinerary for Splendor May 3 sailing and they had finally just received confirmation within the last 30 minutes - PV is being replaced with San Francisco, Mazatlan is being replaced with Victoria, and Cabo is replaced with Seattle. If you do not like these stops they are allowing you to receive a refund on the cruise.

Did they actually say you would get a cash refund? Or is it a credit for another cruise?

Found this on CNN Health:

"The WHO and national governments have confirmed 148 cases of swine flu in 9 countries. Most of those are in the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed 91 cases.

Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu. But there is a vaccine for seasonal flu."

I got this press release from Carnival a bit ago... It addresses refunds, credits, etc:

Miami, FL – Wednesday, April 29, 2009 – 8.30pm

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Full details on the modified itineraries are contained in the attached grid.

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

###

Living on the East Coast I would actually jump on this. I think it would be a great itinerary.

I just called regarding the excursion we had booked for Cozumel (through Carnival) and how to receive money back for it. I was told that it was automatically applied towards our onboard credit, as well as $20/pp credit for skipping Cozumel. Even though we are disappointed that we will be missing Cozumel, it's nice to think how many drinks the $190 of onboard credit already accrued will buy! :)

I posted in another thread - but I am very sad right now that my vacation has to be cancelled. I won't be able to rebook for at least a year (starting new job, and won't have vacation time). Carnival has gone out of their way for customer service - extending my 5 day cruise to a 7 day cruise, but it leaves two days earlier.

I cannot leave two days earlier, there is no way. Staying an extra two days wouldn't have been a problem. What a bummer bummer bummer.

I posted in another thread - but I am very sad right now that my vacation has to be cancelled. I won't be able to rebook for at least a year (starting new job, and won't have vacation time). Carnival has gone out of their way for customer service - extending my 5 day cruise to a 7 day cruise, but it leaves two days earlier.

I cannot leave two days earlier, there is no way. Staying an extra two days wouldn't have been a problem. What a bummer bummer bummer.

That stinks! There are absolutely no other itineraries that will work for you? At least you might get a great early saver rate on a later cruise?

We are going to cancel/reschedule ours if the itinerary is still pacific northwest on May 17th. I'm just crossing my fingers...

That stinks! There are absolutely no other itineraries that will work for you? At least you might get a great early saver rate on a later cruise?

We are going to cancel/reschedule ours if the itinerary is still pacific northwest on May 17th. I'm just crossing my fingers...

no, my family is coming in from out of town and leaving the day before we were supposed to leave. We only have a week off - I am starting a new job when we get back, and won't be able to request any vacation time for a long time. If it was staying two days over, I could probably make it work. But now I have to try and figure out what to do with our airfare which I will probably lose all my money on. Plus no vacation.

I am devastated. I'm happy for those who are glad to be leaving 2 days earlier but this simply isn't possible for me. And like many others, this will be my last chance to cruise for quite some time.

I am devastated. I'm happy for those who are glad to be leaving 2 days earlier but this simply isn't possible for me. And like many others, this will be my last chance to cruise for quite some time.

Same here. It's now the choice of going on my vacation, or missing my neice's baptism - which I am godmother.

I am saying quoting the old adage, EXCREMENT rolls down hill. We are getting upset before we ever step foot onboard for what we planned on being a enjoyable time. I know I had lots of plans for Cozumel as I am not a fan of Jamica or such. Then I also dont enjoy what I perceive to be an attitude of "We will do whatever we need to do & tell you when we get around to it" well my $$$ are paying for this vacation & hence their salaries. I know that the staff is underpaid & overworked, but unfortunately I cant go in & accost in any shape, fashion or form the CEO & others who is causing these problems. The only outlet I have is unfortunately the Stewards & such.

And YES I have worked for many years in the Airline industry including as a LEAD AGENT both before, during & after 9/11 so I understand these types of problems a lot better than some. The ONE thing we all learned was any information was better than NONE or the same bs regurgitated. And unfortunately it was the people on the FRONT LINES who suffered the most from the travellers. This is the way it is in most service industries. You get a lousy steak undercooked or overcooked at a restaurant, no matter what the waitstaff does, you are going to lower your tip if not cancel it completly. If you dont, that is your choice. But I believe TIPS are for SERVICE above & beyond the norm. And that it is based on the WHOLE EXPERIENCE. If Carnival Corp decides to underpay its staff & gets away with it, that is their business. I am not their conscience. I am paying for a VACATION & the service that comes with it.

Your logic is as deeply flawed as your personality. Through the power of logic most people can deduce the simple fact the waiter isn't responsible for the way the steak is cooked, the chef is. Most people bitch at the manager, then go ahead and leave the waiter's tip unaffected. Again, that's most people....who aren't completely irrational.

I also love the line about tipping for "service about and beyond the norm". Given your completely batsh!t crazy response to this crisis, it's pretty easy to tell you're the type who somehow never manages to have their expectations met, no matter how great the service is, especially when it means you'll be out a little extra cash AKA gratuity.

A worldwide health crisis? Take it out on the guy who fluffs your pillows (rolls eyes)

I just wanted to pick everyones brains!! Since our cruise only goes to Ensenada, do you think they might subsitute Catalina? Maybe they can't do this, I don't know but just thought I'd ask!! It would be nice if we got some more info on the whole rescheduling and subsitutes soon..:)

I just called carnival again to verify they would give cash refunds (because I was seeing conflicting info on the board here) on the Splendor cruise on may 3rd, and they said they would. BUT...if you choose to cruise they will be giving 1/2 cash back from the cruise and 1/2 future cruise credit. San Francisco here I come :D In otherwords the cruise works out to be FREE???:eek:

I just called carnival again to verify they would give cash refunds (because I was seeing conflicting info on the board here) on the Splendor cruise on may 3rd, and they said they would. BUT...if you choose to cruise they will be giving 1/2 cash back from the cruise and 1/2 future cruise credit. San Francisco here I come :D In otherwords the cruise works out to be FREE???:eek:

OMG you can't beat that deal.

Living on the East Coast I would actually jump on this. I think it would be a great itinerary.

I know, but I have lived in San Francisco and visited Seattle and was looking for warm weather and exotic ports - however with the offer the gentleman at Carnival just gave me I can't wait to go. (I actually was fine with the change, but my DH was disappointed with the itinerary change, until I told him it means another cruise quicker!)

I know, but I have lived in San Francisco and visited Seattle and was looking for warm weather and exotic ports - however with the offer the gentleman at Carnival just gave me I can't wait to go. (I actually was fine with the change, but my DH was disappointed with the itinerary change, until I told him it means another cruise quicker!)

So, I am assuming you took the cruise? Will you please keep us updated about this- I'd love to know all the details of how/when the cash is refunded, etc.... I was dead set againsg going on that itinerary, but I don't see how one could turn that down.

Archived