Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Hey!! Don't blame all airline industry people by this poster remarks!! I work for a regional airline as a ramp lead and also know about when things are changed and being closest to the public, I get the blunt of it. It's not fair,but that's part of my job and I have to just ensure that things will be better the next go around.

Not all airline people are like this!!

Victory748 never insinuated that all airline people are like that....she was just asking the poster how he would feel, as an agent at the airport, if he were treated with a cut in pay because of lack of information from the powers above. Most reasonable people know that if the agent had info they would pass it on....unfortunately not enough. The poster, more than most people, certainly should and not even contemplate holding back from the service guys!

This is a perfect example that no matter what any company does to attempt to remedy a situation, some people will never be satisfied. Sure your cruise is going to get cancelled and you are also getting a refund but of course you want more. You feel that Carnival should be obligated to give you more because of these elaborate plans that you had set up. PLANS CHANGE - DEAL WITH IT...This flu out break is in no way the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or any cruise lines for that matter. If Carnival had went on ahead with the Mexico stop then you would probably be complaining because you got sick then you might want to sue. Just be happy that you are getting something back. I'm sure this will teach you not to make such elaborate plans in the future...

That was so HARSH!! We plan and dream for months (some people for years) about our vacations and are understandablly upset when those plans are changed or worse (really REALLY worse!) cancelled. And at the last minute, at that. We know that this is not carnival's fault, but I would have been devastated to have such a big trip with so many people planned and have it cancelled this late in the game. Remember it is not OUR fault either.

Hey!! Don't blame all airline industry people by this poster remarks!! I work for a regional airline as a ramp lead and also know about when things are changed and being closest to the public, I get the blunt of it. It's not fair,but that's part of my job and I have to just ensure that things will be better the next go around.

As for the people on board the ship working, they have no say on where the ship is sailing to. I know that there are going to be some people who will give them a hard time on some of the upcoming sailings. Yes, we can't often deal with the people who make the changes,but why take it out on those who can't??

I'm sailing out on May 2nd and in the back of my mind during the push was about my cruise. At least Carnival is giving you the option of a credit if you dont want to sail. If my ship was just heading to Key West, I would have opt out and sailed at a later date. I sailed on the Fascination on Sept 14,2001. We were given the option on Sept 13th of either sailing or a credit.

Not all airline people are like this!!

Yikes! I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to point out to the person who was going to stiff the staff their tips that he shouldn't punish them for something they have no control over. He wouldn't want his salary taken away when he is in that position, so why do it to the cruise staff? Certainly not blaming a single person in the airline industry but him. In fact my mom works in the airline industry!

This is a perfect example that no matter what any company does to attempt to remedy a situation, some people will never be satisfied. Sure your cruise is going to get cancelled and you are also getting a refund but of course you want more. You feel that Carnival should be obligated to give you more because of these elaborate plans that you had set up. PLANS CHANGE - DEAL WITH IT...This flu out break is in no way the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or any cruise lines for that matter. If Carnival had went on ahead with the Mexico stop then you would probably be complaining because you got sick then you might want to sue. Just be happy that you are getting something back. I'm sure this will teach you not to make such elaborate plans in the future...

That was so HARSH!! We plan and dream for months (some people for years) about our vacations and are understandablly upset when those plans are changed or worse (really REALLY worse!) cancelled. And at the last minute, at that. We know that this is not carnival's fault, but I would have been devastated to have such a big trip with so many people planned and have it canceled this late in the game. Remember it is not OUR fault either.

Thank you. :) A $50 onboard credit if I book a future cruise in no way compensates the hell I'm going through right now trying to figure out new travel plans for 20 people one week from today. Air fares are doubled, hotels are booked, balcony cabins sold out. I understand why Carnival did it, and I even sympathize with their situation, but any way you look at it, this STINKS.

My cruise leaves in 24 days.... I am thinking about getting trip insurance tomorrow. :cool:

(Never got it before, never needed it before.)

from an article on swine flu and travel insurance:

the average policy will not cover you if you want to cancel your cruise - even if the State Department issues a travel warning. A policy will cover you if you get sick however, under most circumstances, but read on to find out the exceptions.

The only policy that will cover you if you choose to cancel is a "Cancel for Any Reason" policy, but it has restrictions, comes with a price and it may be too late to get one. "Cancel for any Reason" policies are usually written up as a "rider" to a standard travel insurance policy. To get this rider you will pay an additional premium, you must insure your trip for the full cost of your cruise and you must get the policy within two weeks of having made your first payment on the cruise. Furthermore, many policies add an exclusion for illnesses caused by an "epidemic.

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Seems very fair. I hope we're still going to Mexico for the 5/31 cruise, but, by that time, I might want SF, Seattle and Victoria.

$75 per person would take care of my bar tab ($280 for the family of four).

Since my winter hasn't been harsh living in CA, I can understand why some would be upset if they don't get the heat. I'm hoping it's in the 90s by the time I leave for the cruise, so we may be looking for a cool down.

I was also told that the offer was 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit for the May 3rd Splendor cruise and was quite thrilled with that. Then I looked on the website and click on this sailing and it says the offer is a $75 shipboard credit! What is happening here?! I just called Carnival and they said whatever it says on the website is what it is. I am going to wait and call again the morning. If the first offer is true, I will be a happy camper but if the second thing I was told is in fact the reality, I think it is really poor. Royal Caribbean is offering much more, especially if you are booked in a balcony.

Hi Nikkilou1--I have been on hold for 40 minutes because I want to speak to a supervisor. I asked about compensation for the May 3 Splendor sailing. The first rep told me that I get a whole $75 onboard credit and that the 50% refund/50% credit is misinformation! That is why I am now waiting for the supervisor. I just hope my battery on my phone doesn't die in the meantime :-(

Hi sbinbc,

Can you direct me to wherever you have found rebook/compensation information for Royal Caribbean passengers? Thanks!

Melissa

I was also told that the offer was 50% refund and a 50% future cruise credit for the May 3rd Splendor cruise and was quite thrilled with that. Then I looked on the website and click on this sailing and it says the offer is a $75 shipboard credit! What is happening here?! I just called Carnival and they said whatever it says on the website is what it is. I am going to wait and call again the morning. If the first offer is true, I will be a happy camper but if the second thing I was told is in fact the reality, I think it is really poor. Royal Caribbean is offering much more, especially if you are booked in a balcony.

Hi sbinbc,

I am still on hold waiting for a supervisor from Carnival to find out what is going on with the information about the 50% refund/50% credit. I can hold for another 30 minutes and then I will just call tomorrow morning. I am getting a tad upset if they made the offer to some passengers and not to others.

Hi Nikkilou1--I have been on hold for 40 minutes because I want to speak to a supervisor. I asked about compensation for the May 3 Splendor sailing. The first rep told me that I get a whole $75 onboard credit and that the 50% refund/50% credit is misinformation! That is why I am now waiting for the supervisor. I just hope my battery on my phone doesn't die in the meantime :-(

Good luck..that would be an awesome deal.

I am on the May 3rd Splendor sailing and, under the circumstances, I am happy with what Carnival has done. I would have preferred the warmth especially as it is our anniversary and it would be nice to hit the beaches at the ports and be able to walk the decks at night..not be blown down by harsh winds, cold air and harsh seas. We live in the desert and, although we are warm all year, it still would have been nice..Oh well...a visit back at my old SF, a return visit to Seattle and a new place for us Victoria...and with a $75 shipboard credit. We are taking it and working now on ways to make the stops special. Just gotta keep it reasonable for the expected rainy 50s weather. Let's all get creative folks. Just remember too, you can be happy or miserable anywhere. It's what you make it. Dress warm and for the weather. We may come back with colds but hopefully without exposure to the piggy flu.:o

See ya on board...Ty & Robert

Hi sbinbc,

I am still on hold waiting for a supervisor from Carnival to find out what is going on with the information about the 50% refund/50% credit. I can hold for another 30 minutes and then I will just call tomorrow morning. I am getting a tad upset if they made the offer to some passengers and not to others.

I just was answered by a customer service rep, and told there are no supervisors there to call a different number. Funnily enough at first he said if you choose to cruise - a 75.00 per person OBC and a 50% refund OR 50%future credit. This is NOT what I was told before, but OK. I asked him about the letter - he reads it and says OK, it is a 75.00 OBC and a 50% future credit. I said so it has changed? He says it just did. I asked if others got the deal offered earlier and he said he couldn't tell me (which tells me they did) and if I had booked through carnival direct I probably would have received the earlier deals too. They announced all of itinerary changes AFTER my travel agency had closed for the day. So now it is looking like JUST a 75.00 per person. The problem is I was told differently MORE than once today. It is not like I just missed out on a good sale to buy the cruise, they actually gave this deal to others on the cruise. As concerning is the fact that they are now claiming no refunds in the letter, but are evidently offered at the 800 number if you insist. It seems to me I read there somewhere that there was a 24 hour refund policy if they changed itineraries before sailing.

. The only outlet I have is unfortunately the Stewards & such.

:mad: Do you also kick your dog when someone pisses you off??

Your reasoning is unbelieveable.

And you are what I would call a SHEEPEOPLE. Just do what everyone else tells you to do. I dont follow anyone & only do what I agree with. I have worked very hard for many years to own my own business because I am not a mindless follower.

Follower, no

mindless...absolutely

I am on the May 3rd Splendor sailing and, under the circumstances, I am happy with what Carnival has done. I would have preferred the warmth especially as it is our anniversary and it would be nice to hit the beaches at the ports and be able to walk the decks at night..not be blown down by harsh winds, cold air and harsh seas. We live in the desert and, although we are warm all year, it still would have been nice..Oh well...a visit back at my old SF, a return visit to Seattle and a new place for us Victoria...and with a $75 shipboard credit. We are taking it and working now on ways to make the stops special. Just gotta keep it reasonable for the expected rainy 50s weather. Let's all get creative folks. Just remember too, you can be happy or miserable anywhere. It's what you make it. Dress warm and for the weather. We may come back with colds but hopefully without exposure to the piggy flu.:o

See ya on board...Ty & Robert

My absolute dream, would be to sail with a ship full of people like you.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise :)

we tried that too... some law prevents you from getting on a ship in a us port once it has left a us port... your screwed is what carnival told me... so this is such a hassle for me to... i think we are taking our money and gonna run...

I stayed on hold for 1 hour and 10 mins. with Carnival last night and finally gave up. I will try again this morning to see what compensation Carnival will be made available for this itinerary. Has anyone actually received the 50% refund/50% credit for this cruise? I was told by the first representative that that is an error.:confused: I would be really upset if they made this offer to some passengers and then withdrew the compensation :mad:. Well, back to the sitting on the phone. I will let you know the outcome.

Just wondering azrunner Are you still going on the cruise? (I was lazy and didn't go back to read earlier post.) If you are then why would you get a refund? But if you decided not to go then a 50% credit on a furture cruise would be great!! Umm you are 3 days away from your cruise why would you think you would get anything back!!! Not bashing you just wondering!!

We're real interested in the 7 day Ecstasy thing. Not surprsingly - the sail dates don't show up on anyone's booking engines even Carnival's.

Just wondering what they're charging right now on a Military Rate.

Probably can't go unless they close school.

Has anyone heard how long they will be altering itenaries in May? We sail May 18 on the Imagination and didn't know. If so when will it be posted? Thanks!

I sail on the 11th, and they posted 2 other cruises leaving on the 11th but not the imagination. They will probably wait until 2 days before my cruise to post anything about. I still don't understand why no one can be diverted to Half Moon Cay, its really weird.

Hi Madge57,

I just checked other itineraries to see what the costs of comparable cruises would be. A lot of them are much less expensive than the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor. So, I would be paying approximately $500 more for the new itinerary they have offered. Also, I will be upset if they made this offer to some of the passengers and not all. I have to wonder what will happen if quite a few passengers decline to take this cruise. At what point do they cancel? Would they still sail at 40% capacity? 50% capacity? We will be making our decision today once I get a chance to talk to an agent. I have been on hold this morning for 30 minutes already. Last night on hold for 1 hour 10 mins. Believe me, we would love to go on this cruise, considering my husband is leaving in two weeks to work overseas for several months, but at this point if they can't refund part of the money, it would be better to just take a credit and wait until my husband gets back home.

I spent all day yesterday afternoon clicking refresh with the rest of you. By about 7 PM and no info I was ready to get someone from Carnival on the phone and really tear into them.

I waited on hold for an hour before I finally got a human voice. I calmly asked about what the status of our itinerary changes was, and the Carnival Rep said "your cruise has been changed from a 5 day to a 7 day cruise through the bahamas". I did a double take and asked again "this is the Fantasy leaving May 2nd?" "Yep, thats right".

No increase in cost, 3 new ports I haven't ever been to instead of Cozumel (been there 4 times), and 2 extra days on my cruise.

I have to hand it to Carnival, they just earned some serious brand loyalty from our family.

Archived