Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

It is so amazing ......... reading the attacks here -----attacks on the media, attacks on the political leaders, attacks on the cruise lines, and attacks on each other.

We ARE frustrated - but the fact is we ought to be careful and cautious.

We are what is called a naive population - on a global scale. It IS like the flu pandemic in 1917-18 - or even the gift of smallpox brought to the Native Americans by the early European explorers. Naive means that there are no antibodies in the general population against this new pathogen. How deadly that will be depends on the virulence of the new pathogen. It has not a darn thing to do w/ politics, policies, or personalities.

What can WE do? We can do what our parents always told us - "cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, because if you don't, you spread disease." Wash your hands. Avoid crowds.

It is NO ONE'S fault - but it IS what it IS. Grow up. Take care of yourself. Consider what issues in life really matter.

End of sermon from the soapbox!!!

You mean it's not some big global conspiracy to get the new Secretary of Health and Human Services confirmed?! ;)

Who is "they"? The media? I doubt it. The newcycle will expire soon and unless this thing starts ringing up an impressie death toll, the media will move onto something else to sensationalize. It already is. Chrysler is filing for bankruptcy. Film at 11.

As always, you cut to the heart of the matter...I for one appreciate your insightful comments and perspectives...no law against thinking, eh

My state of Colorado, just released that we have 2 confirmed cases of this flu.

The first is in neighboring Arapahoe county, a lady that was on a CRUISE SHIP last week that stopped in Mexico, no details on which ship. Along the way she also stopped in San Diego.

The other is a man in my town, in Douglas county, who's a baggage handler at DIA. In fact, my neighbor is a friend of the family and mentioned to me last night that he's currently hospitalized and they were testing him. I called her to let her know that he's now confirmed.

Up until now, I was being very aloof about the whole thing, but now...I'm going to think twice about going out, other then to work. Even my company has now sent out 2 emails about being cautious and staying home if not feeling well.

And I was thinking wow, next week on the Miracle I won't have to hear about this ...

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/story..php?title=possible-bahamas-swine-flu-outbreak-leads-to-quarantine

Possible Bahamas Swine Flu Outbreak Leads To Quarantine

Posted by buckles 1 day 22 hours ago (No URL available) View profile

Category: headlines

Sixteen Abaco residents who travelled to Mexico on a recent cruise have been locally quarantined on the island by health officials for fear that they, may have been exposed to or have contracted the potentially deadly swine flu. Health officials called the quarantine a precautionary measure and at last report there were no documented cases of the swine flu in the country.

Meanwhile, local pharmaceutical suppliers said they are stocked with anti-viral medication essential in fighting this new strain of the flu.

Minister of Health Dr Hubert Minnis told The Tribune that 10 students, two teachers and four chaperones from an Abaco school travelled to Mexico on April 20 and returned five days later, on a flight from Miami directly to Abaco.

The day after their return, on April 26th, the group was examined at the local Abaco clinic where they were advised to voluntarily remain at home, not attend school and/or take part in community activities for seven days.

The Ministry of Health was alerted to possible infection around 3.30 pm on April 26, Dr Minnis told The Tribune following the press conference.

He also dismissed reports reaching The Tribune that at least 40 persons in Marsh Harbour, including persons who may have come in contact with the school group, were quarantined.

"We have used what you would call local quarantine in that they are confined to their particular homes, both the students, the chaperone(s) and the teachers," he said during an emergency press conference at the Ministry of Health yesterday.

Two members of the group, including one who left the country showing signs of a fever, returned from Mexico with flulike symptoms, Dr Minnis said. While it is possible they came down with a normal strain of the flu, health officials are treating the group as if they are infected with the dangerous strain.

"One of the students before his departure from Nassau had (a fever), on their return at least two, including that one exhibited evidence of fever and some degree of sneezing. We were concerned because we're now talking about this type of influenza and though it may not be, we want to be very certain that we take all precautionary measures to protect our society in the event that it is," said Dr Minnis, flanked by health officials at a special press conference yesterday.

"But if one individual had left with (a fever) the possibility is that other persons could have gotten some type of viral illness from him, which means that it may be a routine flu. But we would take no chances, it's always best to treat is as if it is the swine flu and deal with it appropriately," he said.

A team has been mobilised and has tested the group for the swine flu; however, those results will not be ready for seven days. Health officials continue to monitor the conditions of the group for signs of fever, headaches, sore throat, cough and fatigue.

Officials said there are 55 sentinel sites throughout the country that report to the Ministry of Health periodically with updates on possible swine flu cases.

The new strain is resistant to flu vaccines, but is treatable with anti-viral medications, including Tamiflu and Relenza, once a person becomes infected.

Pharmaceutical Manager of Lowe's Wholesale, Carrol Sands, the distribution agent for Tamiflu, said the company has "hundreds" of packs on hand, adding that more can be ordered as needed.

Barbara Donathan, Pharmaceutical Manager for Nassau Agencies Ltd, which distributes Relenza, said the company is monitoring world events and would adjust orders as necessary.

Up to press time, Mexico reported at least 149 deaths from the new strain of flu and there were 40 documented cases, but no deaths, in the United States.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation last night upgraded its pandemic alert for the swine flu to phase four - two levels below a full-blown pandemic or global alert. Back home, Dr Minnis said teams have been mobilised as if a global pandemic alert has already been issued.

Dr Minnis advised Bahamians travelling abroad to avoid affected areas, monitor world reports and check with the Ministry of Health before travel. Persons are advised to avoid crowded environments, maintain hygienic standards by washing hands frequently and covering sneezes and coughs.

Persons with flu-like symptoms should avoid public places, contact a doctor immediately or the Ministry of Health hotline at 502-4790.

TANEKA THOMPSON

I worked my behind off in nursing school for the last several years and this was my light at the end of the tunnel. It's starting to get dark :(

We are scheduled for May 31st Splendor and it was a celebration vacation for my wife's graduation from nursing school too. I still have hope but worry they will wait to the last minute to give us options.

We are scheduled for May 31st Splendor and it was a celebration vacation for my wife's graduation from nursing school too. I still have hope but worry they will wait to the last minute to give us options.

That is my issue. Give me options NOW... not a week before.

That is my issue. Give me options NOW... not a week before.

It's entirely possible they don't have any options to give you yet. Everyone is scrambling to reschedule ports. I know it's cold comfort and you want your information now -- and rightly so -- but they can't give you something they don't have.

Comparing Royal Carribbean vs Carnival's handling on the situation, I have decided I am not going to sail with Carnival anytime for the foreseeable future.

Royal Caribbean, allowing full cancellations without penalty, is pure class.

Carnival should be ashamed by their laughable options.

Comparing Royal Carribbean vs Carnival's handling on the situation, I have decided I am not going to sail with Carnival anytime for the foreseeable future.

Royal Caribbean, allowing full cancellations without penalty, is pure class.

Carnival should be ashamed by their laughable options.

That's a great idea, especially because these global pandemics happen *ALL* the time. :rolleyes:

It's entirely possible they don't have any options to give you yet. Everyone is scrambling to reschedule ports. I know it's cold comfort and you want your information now -- and rightly so -- but they can't give you something they don't have.

Other cruise lines can... so why can't they?

Sure they can. Let people cruising (especially on the Mexican Riviera cruises) book another cruise instead. Im not asking for a refund.

You don't think its a big deal??? I will gladly let you pay for my alternative airfare I am going to have to pony up to change at all.

That's a great idea, especially because these global pandemics happen *ALL* the time. :rolleyes:

You are missing the point. This may not happen again anytime soon, but something else that requires Carnival to be proactive may. If people like the way RC have handled things better then I could understand someone being more apt to cruise with them instead.

Don't know if anybody has posted this yet, but it looks like Carnival is planning on keeping the temporary itineraries in place at least through May. Look at Key West's calendar showing what ships are in port and when - it has been updated to show Holiday, Valor, etc. stopping throughout the month of May:

http://www.keywestcity.com/egov/docs/1241104260_179565.htm

Other cruise lines can... so why can't they?

Care to point out who has an alternative itinerary up for MAY 31st?

Sure they can. Let people cruising (especially on the Mexican Riviera cruises) book another cruise instead. Im not asking for a refund.

And won't you be the happy camper when they get a handle on this flu and then open Mexico back up and start complaining about switching your cruise and not being able to switch back. Seriously, do you really think a major multinational, multibillion dollar corporation doesn't take these things into consideration?

You don't think its a big deal??? I will gladly let you pay for my alternative airfare I am going to have to pony up to change at all.

Please show me where I said it isn't a big deal. Because quite frankly I don't think I did. :rolleyes: How about you wait like an adult and then make the choice to book another cruise when the information is available. So sorry Carnival isn't working on your time schedule. So sorry a freakin' pandemic is inconveniencing you.

You are missing the point. This may not happen again anytime soon, but something else that requires Carnival to be proactive may. If people like the way RC have handled things better then I could understand someone being more apt to cruise with them instead.

Because it's ONE factor in a decision that should have many factors. I'm not going to choose a cruiseline solely on how they handle these extraordinary circumstances. I'm most likely going to choose a cruiseline based on availability, ports of call, price, embarkation port, favorability of line, etc. etc. etc. I think "global pandemic plan" is somewhere around 89 on the list of priorities in the choosing a line department. Choosing a line based on this is the equivalent of choosing not to move to New York City because it got hit by a massive bizzard in 1900. These things are referred to as "Acts of God" for a reason ...

Looks to me like RCCL has cancelled Mariner of the Seas through June 14. Carnival has only cancelled the May 3rd sailing of Splendor. Perhaps Carnival is doing on a week to week basis hoping they can get back to Mexico sooner? Guess it is a personal preference as to which you would prefer - knowing where you are going, even though it is not where you want to go, or not knowing until 4 days out but perhaps going where you want to go. We found out Tuesday we wouldn't be going to Mexico. Found out last night where we would be going. Not perfect, but everything in life isn't perfect.

Carnival is giving the option to cancel with no penalties. Not a cash refund, but rebook another cruise. I understand the airlines are being very good at rescheduling air travel without penalty.

Care to point out who has an alternative itinerary up for MAY 31st?

And won't you be the happy camper when they get a handle on this flu and then open Mexico back up and start complaining about switching your cruise and not being able to switch back. Seriously, do you really think a major multinational, multibillion dollar corporation doesn't take these things into consideration?

Please show me where I said it isn't a big deal. Because quite frankly I don't think I did. :rolleyes: How about you wait like an adult and then make the choice to book another cruise when the information is available. So sorry Carnival isn't working on your time schedule. So sorry a freakin' pandemic is inconveniencing you.

Not going to argue with you over this. I am not upset with Carnival about the original situation... I am upset they expect people up to a month out to just "wait". I have about 5 good reasons that is difficult for me. I am done defending why I would be upset about getting what I paid for.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have read that another cruise has cancelled all Mexican ports until mid June.

All I am asking is to reschedule or book another cruise so I KNOW what is going on with my airfare. If they did that then decided to go on the original itenerary I would not be asking to go on my original crusie. I understand that isn't workable. You act as though I am being unreasonable, but I don't feel that I am.

Carnival should be working with my time. I booked a cruise based on alot of reasons. They have been fair in my opinion thus far with compensations. My complaint is that a week in advance isn't long enough for people... especially those who just found out late last night where/if they would be going in 2 days. To me it is a rather simple thing to do to keep customers satisfied.

Because it's ONE factor in a decision that should have many factors. I'm not going to choose a cruiseline solely on how they handle these extraordinary circumstances. I'm most likely going to choose a cruiseline based on availability, ports of call, price, embarkation port, favorability of line, etc. etc. etc. I think "global pandemic plan" is somewhere around 89 on the list of priorities in the choosing a line department. Choosing a line based on this is the equivalent of choosing not to move to New York City because it got hit by a massive bizzard in 1900. These things are referred to as "Acts of God" for a reason ...

And that is why Carnival isn't the only cruise line option.

Archived