Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Someone wanted to know earlier about how the woman with the flu got from Kentucky to Ga. My wife just sent me this it is also posted on www.wtvm.com

Timeline:

She traveled from Kentucky to Georgia with her 5-year-old daughter by way of car.

Prior to her trip to Georgia she took a leisure trip to Cancun, Mexico with a travel companion from April 17- April 21.

She began to fell ill on April 18th, but she thought it was due to the sun.

April 23: She arrived in Atlanta, GA by way of car.

April 24: She went shopping in Atlanta, GA.

April 25: She went to a wedding rehearsal dinner in LaGrange, GA.

April 26: She attended a wedding and later that day went to the ER voluntarily with family to West Georgia Medical in LaGrange, GA. She was immediately isolated. Officials performed a rapid specimen test , which the CDC received on April 28.

The family and those in her close circle were given anti-viral medications as a precaution.

The CDC and the Georgia Division of Public Health are working together to notify those that were in contact with her at the wedding.

April 30: Confirmed 30 year-old woman who has swine flu is from Warren County, Kentucky.

I was just cleaning out my mail box and came across an email from a friend in the DC area from February....this person was telling me that there were 2 deaths that week from the flu. The deaths were a 13 and a 15 year old.

It seems to me that no matter what the map says...this thing is a flu. Sometimes people die of the flu. If this had originated here in the US and spread (like wildfire, as all viruses do) I wonder if it would be getting all the hype?? Is this just a big deal because it started in Mexico????

The spread of viruses is going to always be more widespread than in the past because people travel a heck of a lot more now than they did even just 10 years ago.

I refuse to see this in the dramatic fashion it's being depicted unless the death toll becomes worse than the death toll from any seasonal flu.

Why worry about something before it's worthy of worry?

A la di da approach to this flu seems senseless...God gave us brains to think and come up with solutions rather than "I guess it was their time to go" philosophy....

Predestination. Whatever happens, happens. Don't sweat the details.

therefore, why make a vaccine...why have doctors...why harm bacteria...

[hijack]

This is not the time nor place for a theological discussion, but it would serve you well to educate yourself on predestination.

[/hijack]

free will and predestination. It is obvious that the Bible teaches both concepts. Ultimately, I believe that God directs history. However, I do not believe that He micro-manages history. In other words, I think God places people in history so that His will is accomplished. This includes putting His followers, in addition to those who oppose Him, at strategic points in history. The Bible encourages us to use our free will to choose good over evil.

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

free will and predestination. It is obvious that the Bible teaches both concepts. Ultimately, I believe that God directs history. However, I do not believe that He micro-manages history. In other words, I think God places people in history so that His will is accomplished. This includes putting His followers, in addition to those who oppose Him, at strategic points in history. The Bible encourages us to use our free will to choose good over evil.

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

Oh lord :rolleyes:

A la di da approach to this flu seems senseless...God gave us brains to think and come up with solutions rather than "I guess it was their time to go" philosophy....

I am reacting to THIS flu, the same as I react to every other flu. (UNTIL I have reason to become a drama queen along with everyone else) This is my point. If you get nutzo every flu season, and if you Google the death toll and make yourself crazy over it...then by all means do the same for this one.

I never stated anything about it being their time to go...so where you came up with that I have NO idea.

Oh lord :rolleyes:

LOL...Upon reading the first words of that post, THAT was exactly what I said aloud.

I gave up last night after 2 hours on hold with Carnival. Got through after 40 minutes today to be told that the offer of 50% refund and 50% future cruise credit was misinformation and it is in fact just a $75 onboard credit. Quite a difference! I realize that this is not Carnival's fault that there is this travel advisory, but to have got our hopes up with such a great offer and then to have it rescinded is really disappointing. I don't know why they are not at least supplementing that with a partial future cruise credit - a lot of people might not even end up being able to use before it expired and those that did would no doubt have to add a chunk of money on to make a new booking and would then be taking another cruise in the future and spending money on board, etc.

Has anyone here actually got the 50% refund? I would love to know if anyone actually gets it - when I was told about it yesterday, I was told the refund would come after you sailed. As of today, there is definitely no talk of a refund.

RCCL is offering much more (I have heard both $350 and $450 onboard credit plus $350 future cruise credit) These are actual offers people have received via their travel agent.

It is too bad that due to the Passenger Services Act, all ships from a US port must go to a non-US port if they are going to stop at any other US port. This is why they must go to Victoria - it would be the closest non-Mexican, non-US port. It is a beautiful city, but we live in Vancouver and go to Victoria - and Seattle - all the time so really did not want to fly to LA to cruise back up here! We have had pretty cool temperatures lately, and next week is supposed to be cool and rainy - not the nice warm weather we were hoping for!

I think more people are going to die from increased poverty, via the economic fallout that this hysteria is creating, than the actual virus itself.

I know! I feel so sorry for the Mexican people. They depend so much on cruises and travel to resorts. They not only are missing that, they have closed all the businesses. We are leaving for the 3 day on Elation thurs May 7th. Of course, we don't know whats going to happen for our itinerary (guessing Catalina) but the bigger picture is the sickness. My hopes are with all of you that have bigger plans, longer cruises and flights. Good luck with everything!!

I gave up last night after 2 hours on hold with Carnival. Got through after 40 minutes today to be told that the offer of 50% refund and 50% future cruise credit was misinformation and it is in fact just a $75 onboard credit. Quite a difference! I realize that this is not Carnival's fault that there is this travel advisory, but to have got our hopes up with such a great offer and then to have it rescinded is really disappointing. I don't know why they are not at least supplementing that with a partial future cruise credit - a lot of people might not even end up being able to use before it expired and those that did would no doubt have to add a chunk of money on to make a new booking and would then be taking another cruise in the future and spending money on board, etc.

Has anyone here actually got the 50% refund? I would love to know if anyone actually gets it - when I was told about it yesterday, I was told the refund would come after you sailed. As of today, there is definitely no talk of a refund.

RCCL is offering much more (I have heard both $350 and $450 onboard credit plus $350 future cruise credit) These are actual offers people have received via their travel agent.

It is too bad that due to the Passenger Services Act, all ships from a US port must go to a non-US port if they are going to stop at any other US port. This is why they must go to Victoria - it would be the closest non-Mexican, non-US port. It is a beautiful city, but we live in Vancouver and go to Victoria - and Seattle - all the time so really did not want to fly to LA to cruise back up here! We have had pretty cool temperatures lately, and next week is supposed to be cool and rainy - not the nice warm weather we were hoping for!

In regards to the Passenger Services Act, I noticed that the Paradise 3 day is going to Catalina instead of Ensenada. Isnt this infringement on this Act? Just food for thought!!

In regards to the Passenger Services Act, I noticed that the Paradise 3 day is going to Catalina instead of Ensenada. Isnt this infringement on this Act? Just food for thought!!

Oh never mind.....I just looked on the Itinerary and noticed that the Elation that went out today is re-routing to Catalina, I guess mine will do the same next Thursday! That is fine with me;)

Oh never mind.....I just looked on the Itinerary and noticed that the Elation that went out today is re-routing to Catalina, I guess mine will do the same next Thursday! That is fine with me;)

Well, I am curious too. I thought with that act you had to go to a non-US port so can they do that?

Be prepared to be re-routed to San Francisco.

Just watched a news clip on a lot of irate passengers disembarking in Long Beach rather than sailing north th S.F.

They were supposed to be going on the Mexican Rivera cruise as well.

Oh. Well if they are really overlooking it for this "crisis" then why go to Canada?

You have a better explanation? Otherwise Carnival is going to rack up some serious fines because they are out and out ignoring it...

Hi sbinbc--I spent another 30 minutes waiting on hold this morning and finally got my situation worked out. Since I did not like the alternative ports for the May 3 Splendor sailing, I will receive a full credit to be used for a future cruise. The credit must be used by 12/31/10. The agent told me I could only get a 50% credit toward a future cruise only if I went on the Splendor. No one was getting a 50% refund on that cruise. I canceled because in my opinion the new itinerary was not a fair exchange for the amount I paid for the Mexican Riviera. Secondly, I am an AZ resident that lives here because of the heat <G> and would not enjoy the colder weather that is expected next week in Seattle, SFO and Victoria. Brrr! We Arizonans are nuts for the heat!

The agent did say there are a lot of new itineraries that will be coming out in the fall and I am optimistic that once my husband comes back from overseas we'll be able to go on our long awaited cruise.

I am sailing on the Holiday on May 9th, originally to Progreso and Cozumel. Since Carnival hasn't come out with anything yet on cruises after the 4th, I am anxiously awaiting information on our new itinerary! I see that on the Holiday cruises they have already re-routed, Cozumel was changed to Key West and Calica was changed to Freeport. However, is there any way to know what they might do with Progreso? Is it likely that the we would also go to Freeport, or is there some other port that's also a likely option? (I don't know how these decisions are made!) Does anyone know what we might expect?

You have a better explanation? Otherwise Carnival is going to rack up some serious fines because they are out and out ignoring it...

Well, I understand that and that is why they are going to Canada only because they have to. My question is how do they get away with only going to Catalina?

Someone else said they are overlooking that act during this "crisis." So basically how come they can't overlook it for the Splendor?

This bears repeating. My local news is way out of line, saying over 100 deaths in Mexico?! W.H.O. reports only 7 confirmed deaths in Mexico. Here is the latest official World health Organization update for today.

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 6

30 April 2009 -- </SPAN>The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 17:00 GMT, 30 April 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 257 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 97 confirmed human cases of infection, including seven deaths.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

Hi sbinbc--I spent another 30 minutes waiting on hold this morning and finally got my situation worked out. Since I did not like the alternative ports for the May 3 Splendor sailing, I will receive a full credit to be used for a future cruise. The credit must be used by 12/31/10. The agent told me I could only get a 50% credit toward a future cruise only if I went on the Splendor. No one was getting a 50% refund on that cruise. I canceled because in my opinion the new itinerary was not a fair exchange for the amount I paid for the Mexican Riviera. Secondly, I am an AZ resident that lives here because of the heat <G> and would not enjoy the colder weather that is expected next week in Seattle, SFO and Victoria. Brrr! We Arizonans are nuts for the heat!

The agent did say there are a lot of new itineraries that will be coming out in the fall and I am optimistic that once my husband comes back from overseas we'll be able to go on our long awaited cruise.

So, if you accept the new itinerary for the May 3rd cruise, you get the $75 OBC and 50% off a future cruise? Is this something you have to call about? It's not mentioned in the letter people are posting. I would love more details.

Archived