Getting to our Ship from Hotel?

We are first time cruisers and will be visiting Vancouver for two nights before our Inside Passage cruise on HAL this summer. We will not be using the HAL hotels (Fairmont & Pan Pacific) due to the prices so we are looking at the Metropolitan, St. Regis or Hampton Inn. We wondered how the transfer to the Canada Place port would work if we were not staying at a hotel that is through the cruise line? If we take a taxi, do they drop us off close to our ship or are we left at the curb and they have a long walk to the ship? (I assume these ports are huge and that the cruise line transfers take you to your ship?)

Also any opinions on these hotels or others would be greatly appreciated too! :)

Well first I wouldn't purchase the ships transfer from YVR to the hotel, you can get a cab to most downtown hotels for <$35.00. and your fare from the downtown hotels that you have listed will only be $10 except from the Hampton which offers a free shuttle to Canada Place.:)

As for the hotels you have listed, all are in good safe locations but in order of preference I would choose the Metropolitan, the Hampton and as a distant third the St Regis.

PD - just a remainder if they are going to be staying at the Metropolitan expect some construction noise from the large project next door - the redevelopment of the Hotel Georgia site and there is usually at least one and often two lanes of traffic closed on Howe as well as the sidewalk - so the Hampton might be a better bet. Don't know whether you have been downtown since you got back to Lotusland but it seems like just about every street has either road, sewer or rapid transit work causing traffic chaos + when the Canucks are playing what few roads are unimpeded are taken over by our large loyal legion of fans.

Canucks over Chicago in six.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - there are cement trucks their every day - I think you are thinking of the Ritz-Carleton project on Georgia at Bute - that one is dead for sure and they have removed the crane - i will be going by the Hotel Georgia project tomorrow - attending an Elections BC training session at the Park Place - and will check it out.

Cheers

Dennis

Good, I am happy that I have found this thread again....Ut is correct, there is heavy construction going on next door to the Metropolitan. :o I would scratch it off the list, a great hotel but you don't want to have to put up with the noise. Go to the Hamtpton, enjoy their complimentary breakfast and free shuttle to the pier.

Has free wifi in certain public areas. Has a coffee machine in room. Has an indoor pool. Beds are really comfortable. They have a speaker in the bathroom so you can hear the TV in there. (It was set low when we were there and at first I thought someone had come in the room until I figured it out. We stayed there and loved it. If you call the hotel directly sometimes you can get a better deal. There's also a drugstore across the street. And we just rolled our luggage down the hill to the terminal. If you don't have a lot of luggage you can take a bus downtown. But make sure you get money exchanged an have the exact amount for the fare. They do not make change. And the money exchange people will try to tell you differently. I believe the bus got us within two blocks. You will have to change buses at the Delta Vancouver Airport hotel transfer station.

Donna5, Ordinarly the Metropolitan would be top of list as a place to stay but currently there is a major addition being made to the Georgia Hotel and the construction is going on the on the south side of the Metropolitan....sooo right now it is pretty hard for Vancouverites to recommend to recommend the Metropolitan.:)

Archived