So what's "not so good" to eat on Carnival?

I'm trying to think of something I didn't like, which is kind of hard... I think I had the stuffed mushrooms and they weren't the best. Also, the escargot I think was generally agreed amongst our that it wasn't all that (or at least we weren't big fans of). Also, I remember trying some goat cheese salsa that I can't say I'm a fan of (I think it was just more my taste than it not being good).

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

I did not care for it, either, for the same reasons you disliked it. However, one of my travel mates loved it so much, he ordered two, three different nights! He did say it was better when he mixed it all together.

I also did not care for the pumpkin soup, but then I only tried it because I had read here that it was soooo good. It might be good for all I know, and it just happens that I wouldn't like it anywhere else, either.

The only disappointing experience (and it was VERY disappointing) I had in the dining room was the one morning we had breakfast there. I ordered Belgian waffles, and I got two VERY small triangles of waffles - like two bites worth. They were hard, and the syrup tasted funny to me. I could barely finish one triangle and I ended up going to the buffet to eat a second breakfast.

The only other time we experienced something bad was our tea the first night in the dining room - it was truly HORRIBLE. My cousins and I took one sip and couldn't stomach any more. We aren't complainers, so we didn't say anything, and just ordered other things to drink. I ordered a glass of wine for every meal after that - until the last night, and I wasn't in the mood for wine, so I tried the tea again. It was great that night! Don't know what the heck was wrong with it the first night!

Other than these VERY minor complaints, the rest of the food was AWESOME!

Potatoes Pave' sound more exciting than they really are

Belgian Waffle - really is just A waffle - about four by four inches - do yourself a favor and order more than one or as a side with some eggs (DBF said it was pretty good though)

I love chocolate and was surprised to not like the CMC the first time I tried it - gave it a second chance and put the ice cream right on top in the dish - it was delish!

Pizza - crust reminded me of cardboard

Still better than cooking myself...........:)

Off the top of my head the things I didnt' like:

Chocolate melting cake, Huge let down, I was looking forward to it for months. Could have heated a bottle of hershey syrup and chugged it for the same taste.

Baked alaska

Pizza

From my cruise on the Carnival Spirit 4/5-4/12:

As someone said, the duck was not good. Overcooked and dry.

Rack of lamb was also overcooked and dry. One piece was almost impossible to cut, even with steak knife.

In general, I found the meat dishes to be overcooked and unappealing. The seafood dishes were better.

I had one fruit soup and yes, it was like a thin smoothie-- mine was like a liquid Creamsicle-- but I liked it at the time.

I didn't mind the coffee too much, but I'm not a super coffee gourmet. BTW one can order cappuccino or espresso in DR for no extra charge.

I thought the pizza was good, especially as it was available 24/7. I liked the deli sandwiches a lot, especially the Reuben.

Overall, the food was good but not great. But that's about what I expect from a mass market cruise ship line. It's still better than RCCL food IMHO, and about equal to HAL food. I wish they wouldn't try so hard to be gourmet, just give us simpler dishes that are well cooked and tasty. I'd rather have a well cooked Coco's meal than a just-okay attempt at a 5-star meal. Too many cruise ship meals are like the latter.

Supper club food was very good. Not outstanding as some say, but very good. But I'm a tough customer, just spent a week in New Orleans. Now THAT is OUTSTANDING food!!!

The coffee was the worse I ever tasted. I dont understand, if they can sell great coffee, why cant they give away great coffee. Dont like the melting chocolate cake. I like chocolate, but thats just too much.The thing that I really loved that I just cant stop thinking about is this wonderful strawberry shortcake that they had during a latin festival that they had on the lido deck one night. Was the first time I've seen or tasted this cake out of all ten of my cruises. Hope to see it again.Dont know if anyone has ever tasted a real homemade dominican cake but this tasted just so and it was to die for.

OK...here goes...

I did not like:

The calzone

the scrambled eggs (weird texture)

pb&j

zucchini and eggplant parmagiana (too much cheese, yes, too much)

the plain chicken breast on the dining room menu

some other baked chicken

the burgers at the lido grille

I think that's it.

so whats up with the coffee? is it too weak? or too strong?

I've had it both ways on cruise ships actually but neither was the problem. It's just downright awful coffee. Very bitter and tastes like mud to me (not that I make a habit of eating mud)

I remember that Baked Alaska was a huge disappointment for the very reasons the OP said.

Baked Alaska has not been good for years. Since they stopped pouring booze over it and flaming it until it was caramelized. Safety regs made them go to the little flame cup in the middle. But the flaming of the REAL icing WAS an essential part of making good BA

yes the scrambled eggs, i think they are powdered eggs! and i don't like the iced tea at all except in the pay restaurant where it is wonderful. i love most of the soups but not the fruit ones.

if i don't like the menu i always order pasta with tomato sauce. they'll always fix that for you at night but it's not on the menu. i think it's really good too.

mostly i like everything else...

smiles, bee

RE COFFEE: I think it was the from the engine sumps.

LMAO! Funny comment!

My hubby is Ex- Navy and he says Navy coffee is so horrid & strong you can eat it with a fork.

Archived