balcony vs ov

audraz2

Ok now I have seen post for people asking if it is worth is to upgrade to a balcony... But my question is is there much difference in the balcony and the OV. Here is my situation. DH and I have always had a balcony starting with our honeymoon. We are set to sail on the Destiny on 5/18 with our 2 kids and MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their DD. My SIL is pregnant and her wonderful :mad: doctor will not sign the required form. So my MIL wants to cancel for MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their DD. But let us go (She paid for all). The issue is my son (o keep us all together) was placed in MIL's room so if the doctor sticks to his guns, we will have to move to an OV that holds 4 rather than the Balcony that holds 3. I know the size will be the same but how about the lack of balcony will we miss it?:(

Sure you'll miss it... I had my FIRST OV on the Fantasy in February and I missed the balcony but it didn't effect my cruise!

I would have loved to stand on the balcony in the night and drink in the beauty of the sea but I couldn't... It was still a brilliant cruise, though!!!

:)

Thanks! We are so excited this will be my DS first cruise. He is 2 and we all have had a bad 2 years. So when this happened I was so upset and angry. I know we will have a great time just a little disappointed

Your getting a free cruise so I wouldn't worry about what room I was in. Go and have a great time with your family. I'm sure if SILs Dr. won't sign the paper he has his reasons. Better to "ruin" your cruise then risk an unborn baby and it's Mothers health.

Your getting a free cruise so I wouldn't worry about what room I was in. Go and have a great time with your family. I'm sure if SILs Dr. won't sign the paper he has his reasons. Better to "ruin" your cruise then risk an unborn baby and it's Mothers health.

I agree. A free cruise is a gift in itself. You will enjoy it no matter what.

I would be happier with the OV if I was you:) We're sailing on Freedom (tomorrow!) and booked the OV because we feel safer with a 5 year old not having a balcony. Not that anything would happen, but I'd be worried about her wanting to go see Ariel or something. She wants to be a mermaid when she grows up....so no balcony for us! Silly yes...but the peace of mind is worth it. PLUS the room is a little bigger without the balcony, so BONUS!

I am a little confused about the room situation, but would it possible fror you to pay the differnce to get the balcony?

I am assuming OP's parents pay for an OV and they call and pay the difference to upgrade to Balc.

Edited: Or maybe I am confused....lol. I reread post and now I don't know.....

Ok now I have seen post for people asking if it is worth is to upgrade to a balcony... But my question is is there much difference in the balcony and the OV. Here is my situation. DH and I have always had a balcony starting with our honeymoon. We are set to sail on the Destiny on 5/18 with our 2 kids and MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their DD. My SIL is pregnant and her wonderful :mad: doctor will not sign the required form. So my MIL wants to cancel for MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their DD. But let us go (She paid for all). The issue is my son (o keep us all together) was placed in MIL's room so if the doctor sticks to his guns, we will have to move to an OV that holds 4 rather than the Balcony that holds 3. I know the size will be the same but how about the lack of balcony will we miss it?:(

Hope this all works out for you! While I personally prefer a balcony - I would do the oceanview if needed. You're still on a cruise!

Could there be a reason the Dr. won't sign the form - possible complications? Also - you probably already know this but there have been some angry posters here that didn't - if SIL is over 24 weeks at the time of sailing Carnival won't allow her onboard.

We have been in balcony cabins for every cruise we been on. The first was our honeymoon and we thought that we would do the balcony for that cruise and then do window on cruises in the future. But, we thought how beautiful and how much we truly enjoyed the balcony cabin the first time. Since the first and from now on we couldn't imagine not having the balcony cabin.

I think it depends on the person, we were in an OV on our last cruise and I really missed the balcony. For me the balcony is like an extra room, I wake up really early so I go out on the balcony while my husband an son are still sleeping....love the balcony..:rolleyes:

we have flopped back and forth between anything from Inside to Mini suite. The accomodations just arent as big of a deal for us...if you are going to use the balcony a lot and it would take away from your vacation to not have it then in may be worth while to stay in that category...all comes down to personal preference

I found I used my extended balcony much much more than a regular balcony. I could get sun out there and it was so much more roomy than a regular balcony which sometimes I found just too small to hang out. So, after the last cruise I decided I am either going to do extended balconies or insides. I am an all or nothing kind of gal. :D

I didn't love the OV, it seemed the windows were always cloudy and the way my friend and I set up the beds we had to kneel on our beds to look out the window and it wasn't very relaxing.

I have always had a balcony when cruising, but we booked an ocean view for July on the Glory. The balcony is nice, but I never used it for more than a few minutes. I am not sure if I will miss it or not, but to me the ship is one giant balcony, so I expect to be fine.

Well that stinks! I personally do not care one bit about the balcony. My husband loves it though. We've done it both ways and even he's been ok without it.

First of all, sorry to hear about your SIL's situation. I sure hope the doctor knows best. If everything is normal with the pregnancy and she is less than 6 months due, it might be worth gently suggesting a second opinion :)

Second, if MIL is paying and says you should go, then you should go before she changers her mind!

Third, yes, you will miss balcony but I'd suggest you stay in OV where it will better with a 2 year old. We went with our 2 year old recently in balcony and did not feel safe even for a minute especially because he has a new found love for water. However, if your 2 year is not as much of an explorer (yet), then ask the cruise line if they have another balcony room which holds 4 and if they do, the upgrade fee from a balcony with 3 pax + 4th pax in another room to a balcony with 4 pax should be minimal. If the difference is too much, stay with OV. Consider this: you can always go up to balcony in a future cruise but it will be harder to go from balcony to OV later.

Hope this helps.

Hope this all works out for you! While I personally prefer a balcony - I would do the oceanview if needed. You're still on a cruise!

Could there be a reason the Dr. won't sign the form - possible complications? Also - you probably already know this but there have been some angry posters here that didn't - if SIL is over 24 weeks at the time of sailing Carnival won't allow her onboard.

The doctor doesnt want to sign to say there will never be a problem. Something ify with Carnival's wording. Nothing wrong with pregnancy. She will be 20 wks day of embarkation. The doctor is just being a jerk. He doesnt even want to put due date.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think we solved the problem. IF her doctor will not sign she will get a 2nd opinion. (We live in sue happy Florida) IF she cannot go my husband's friend (Which is going) will switch cabins (his is a 2 person cabin balcony) and my son will be registered to his cabin! My DD loves balconys and I am sure so will my son. Both are explorers but have enough fear to keep them remotely safe + me or DH out there also. But I was wondering about room because we do use the balcony as stroller or beach toy storage.

Archived