Newbie to RCI !!

Hi all.

My DH and I are going to hopefully be sailing on our first RCI. We are interested in the Navigator of the Seas 12 nights out of Rome (Civitavecchia). Sailing Spring 2010.

I never realized how many different types of cabins they have. Now I have to narrow that down. LOL

Anyway, was wondering about pricing. I have checked so many places and they are pricing at the same amount. I am wondering if I book now and the price drops, will RCI offer you a refund each time it drops? Usually, with other lines it is up until the final payment is due. If they do, I should go ahead and book now and have a good pick of the cabins. If not, then do you think I should keep checking the price and see if it drops? Do RCI prices change much?

Any other helpful RCI tips, suggestions?

Thanks for the help!!

Hi all.

My DH and I are going to hopefully be sailing on our first RCI. We are interested in the Navigator of the Seas 12 nights out of Rome (Civitavecchia). Sailing Spring 2010.

I never realized how many different types of cabins they have. Now I have to narrow that down. LOL

Anyway, was wondering about pricing. I have checked so many places and they are pricing at the same amount. I am wondering if I book now and the price drops, will RCI offer you a refund each time it drops? Usually, with other lines it is up until the final payment is due. If they do, I should go ahead and book now and have a good pick of the cabins. If not, then do you think I should keep checking the price and see if it drops? Do RCI prices change much?

Thanks for the help!!

RCI will lower the price when the prices drop but they don't do it automatically, so you have to watch and call them, or your travel agent if you're using one. If you are booked with a TA you can't get the price drop directly from RCI. I've had them refund $$ for a price drop after final payment but I don't think they guarantee that. Definitely book now, then just watch for price drops.

RCI will lower the price when the prices drop but they don't do it automatically, so you have to watch and call them, or your travel agent if you're using one. If you are booked with a TA you can't get the price drop directly from RCI. I've had them refund $$ for a price drop after final payment but I don't think they guarantee that. Definitely book now, then just watch for price drops.

As long as it is not a promotion for new bookings only RCCL will lower your price right up to sailing (most other lines do not after final, but RCCL DOES) Book now as keep an eye on it by doing a pretend booking for your category. If you see anything (not tuesday Sales events) call and get it reduced.

As long as it is not a promotion for new bookings only RCCL will lower your price right up to sailing (most other lines do not after final, but RCCL DOES) Book now as keep an eye on it by doing a pretend booking for your category. If you see anything (not tuesday Sales events) call and get it reduced.

Good point. I forgot about the Tuesday Sales events.

One thing to note when you go to do a pretend booking - be sure you aren't signed in at the time. I once accidentally changed my booking to a higher fare doing that. Fortunately I caught it and called right away and they restored my old cabin and price!

Navigator is a great ship! Yes do book now and watch for price drops daily or weekly. You will even see them go up from what you booked. You will have the best cabin selections booking now. Around 6 months from sailing I check prices at least 3 times a day. I book mark the cruise for easy checking. RCCL will honor price drops as the other folks have said. Usually the Tuesday Sales events (which do not qualify for you in a price drop) does not happen until very close to sailing.

Thanks everyone. Glad to know they will refund the amount if it drops.

That is what I had to do this time when I kept checking prices. I got the TA to adjust the price. Of course, like you said, I had to do the checking. LOL

Hi all.

Thanks for the help!!

The Navigator is a nice 'big' ship. RCCL has a good, relatively consistent product, and has beautiful ships. But don't base your cruise choices on the C&A "loyalty" program ... it is a 'bait and switch' operation.:rolleyes: Shop your cruises based on service, price, and itinerary. That being said, we have cruised on Navigator, and we had a great cruise.:)

The Navigator is a nice 'big' ship. RCCL has a good, relatively consistent product, and has beautiful ships. But don't base your cruise choices on the C&A "loyalty" program ... it is a 'bait and switch' operation.:rolleyes: Shop your cruises based on service, price, and itinerary. That being said, we have cruised on Navigator, and we had a great cruise.:)

Just to say IT IS NOT A BAIT AND SWITCH SYSTEM!! That is an unfair statement on his part.

It is a programme which can change at any time - says so in the Contract - just as all 'Loyalty' programmes can do!! IMHO, it is still the BEST loyalty programme on the high seas!! Sealord just can't get it into his noddle that nothing is forever!!

RCCL is a great line and Navigator is a beautiful ship with a great crew. I have no doubt that you will truly enjoy your cruise vacation. Everyone else answered your questions about price drop so I will not be redundant. Happy sailing!!:)

Just to say IT IS NOT A BAIT AND SWITCH SYSTEM!! That is an unfair statement on his part.

Now we are 'shouting' are we? Well, I am not. Let me explain what 'bait and switch' is, for those who do not know. A company advertises a product for say $30,000 dollars, you go to the store to buy it and discover that they say they no longer have that product, but they have an identical product ... and the price is now $72,000 dollars. That is 'bait and switch'. But, there is one more 'zinger' to this one. Those customers who bought the product for $30,000 before they 'ran out', must return it to the dealer until they pay another $42,000 dollars.

Those who were not affected by this 'things change' situation seem to see no problem with it. The responder to my post is one of 'those' not affected.

Now we are 'shouting' are we? Well, I am not. Let me explain what 'bait and switch' is, for those who do not know. A company advertises a product for say $30,000 dollars, you go to the store to buy it and discover that they say they no longer have that product, but they have an identical product ... and the price is now $72,000 dollars. That is 'bait and switch'. But, there is one more 'zinger' to this one. Those customers who bought the product for $30,000 before they 'ran out', must return it to the dealer until they pay another $42,000 dollars.

Those who were not affected by this 'things change' situation seem to see no problem with it. The responder to my post is one of 'those' not affected.

Honestly Sealord - I just don't know how you can bother to go on and on with these absurd comparisons.

You were getting free drinks - now its just drinks at a discount. You were getting a special Concierge Lounge, now its just a special Lounge each evening!! A new breakfast venue and still have the use of a Concierge!! It was great while it lasted - that's it!!

RCCL never promised free drinks etc. forever!! We know you are frustrated, irritated and disappointed - but before it happened it was discussed on here - thousands of Diamonds - complaints about overcrowding - we all knew change was acoming. C H A N G E!!! Nothing is forever. RCCL compromised - but even though it is still the best programme on the high seas, it doesn't satisfy you.

Get over it - I had a huge run-in with RCCL - but I finished it, got over it and am happy again. I haven't forgotten about it - stiffing excellent customers for $200!! Idiots!! But I am over it!!

You are a nice guy - have done great things in your life - why are you so stuck on all this?

Love to doggie

Honestly Sealord - I just don't know how you can bother to go on and on with these absurd comparisons.

You were getting free drinks - now its just drinks at a discount. You were getting a special Concierge Lounge, now its just a special Lounge each evening!! A new breakfast venue and still have the use of a Concierge!! It was great while it lasted - that's it!!

RCCL never promised free drinks etc. forever!! We know you are frustrated, irritated and disappointed - but before it happened it was discussed on here - thousands of Diamonds - complaints about overcrowding - we all knew change was acoming. C H A N G E!!! Nothing is forever. RCCL compromised - but even though it is still the best programme on the high seas, it doesn't satisfy you.

Get over it - I had a huge run-in with RCCL - but I finished it, got over it and am happy again. I haven't forgotten about it - stiffing excellent customers for $200!! Idiots!! But I am over it!!

You are a nice guy - have done great things in your life - why are you so stuck on all this?

Love to doggie

You had the Diamond benefits, when they were Diamond, and you now have

the Diamond Plus benefits that used to be Diamond benefits. What is

there for 'you' to "get over"? The benefits that we 'earned' as

Diamond members were taken away and now given only to (C&A) Diamond

Plus and suite pax. The 'benefit' did not go away, it was simply taken

away from thousands of people who had earned it, and 'assigned'

elsewhere. This was the 'expedient' way of dealing with too many

'loyal' C&A Diamonds, rather than the 'ethical' option of increasing

the facilities in whatever manner necessary to accomodate the 'fruits'

of your (overly) successful marketing program.

Things change: Examples: The city installs parking meters in front of

your grocery store. The toll on the Golden Gate Bridge rises to five

dollars. It becomes illegal to use your hand held cell phone while

driving.

Something else: Example: The benefits you spent ten years, and ten

cruises to acquire are now taken away, and you are told you will need

two and a half times that many cruises to get those benefits back.

The 'conditions' say it is "legal" for them to do this, but it is not

e-t-h-i-c-a-l. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that many

business schools no longer teach 'business ethics' in their MBA

programs. What a surprise!

I will get over "being stuck" on this. It took two days to receive my Pricess Cruises 'Escapes' package. They sent it via UPS. Do you think they want my business?

Hi all.

Thanks for the help!!

Make sure to get a full list of available cabins in the category or area you want..not all are listed on the website.

You may want to reconsider RCI. I've sailed with them exactly 16 times and don't see myself with them again after the last time. Every single time we sailed, it was less and less included, more and more to pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

Love to doggie

Interesting contrast just popped up. These 'debates' have at times been compared to the airline's frequent flier programs, and their disclaimers that say they can 'change' the program anytime they want to. One major American airline just changed theirs ... for the better. They now have one way tickets, first one way and coach the other, flex one way and anytime the other. Go figure. Someone out there realizes they have to do something 'good' for their 'loyal' customers ... what a concept. RCI would do well to hire that 'marketing' person away from that 'major' airline.;)

Archived