My feelings on the 04/27 Ecstasy cruise

Not that there hasn't been enough of these already, but here goes.

I completely agree with Carnival for making the decision they made not to port in Cozumel or Progreso. If someone had gotten sick, they would never heard the end of it. I understand they didn't have time to reroute us to a different destination. I read the contract before I signed it and fully understand they were within their right to do what they did.

Now that we have that straight, I do think there were some things Carnival could have done to show a little customer appreciation for what we were going through. Would it have hurt them to give free sodas? I am sure there was enough money generated by those who drink alcohol and gamble to have covered that expense.

How about a partial refund? The port fees that were my own money to begin with hardly counts. I'm not greedy enough to want all my money back. Heck I don't even want half. I did enjoy some delicious meals. I do believe a partial refund would have gone a long way with many people to ease hard feelings. I know there are those that wouldn't have been happy unless they got every cent back. I'm not one of those.

I've tried to call their customer service line. I asked for a supervisor 3 times and been disconnected all 3 times. I don't know if I will keep calling or not. It just seems like an exercise in frutility.

Again, I understand Carnival's rights. I read contracts for a living. I have to explain to people daily that they aren't "entitled" to certain things. But sometimes, there is more to customer service that the company spiel. Carnival didn't owe us anything, but they certainly could have offered us something. I think this is what has me feeling so disappointed. I would have thought a company the size of Carnival would be willing to go a little extra to appease their customers. I understand the cruise after us got extra days for free. Good for them. I mean that honestly, but it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Believe me, I know there are people that would have complained that free sodas weren't enough, that a partial refund wasn't enough. But not everyone feels that way. The fact is Carnival didn't even try.

Calling may not get you anywhere fast.

Perhaps a well written letter to the company will yield results.

Tell them the good and bad and what you expect.

Let us know how it turns out.

Email may only get you a canned reply. Try snail mail.

I do think there were some things Carnival could have done to show a little customer appreciation for what we were going through. Would it have hurt them to give free sodas?

How about a partial refund? ... I do believe a partial refund would have gone a long way with many people to ease hard feelings. ... Carnival didn't owe us anything, but they certainly could have offered us something. ... I think this is what has me feeling so disappointed.

I agree with your feelings. I, too, would have gone on the cruise and enjoyed what was available to enjoy, but I would have expected some kind of perk to compensate the losses. Especially when I found out the next cruise got more:

I understand the cruise after us got extra days for free. Good for them. I mean that honestly, but it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Even though it was the luck of the draw, it DOES seem grossly disparate when comparing your cruise to theirs. I would be mighty unhappy, too. :(

Like you said, they didn't have to offer anything, but these threads would be FULL of people bragging about Carnival's fabulous customer service, rather than full of some unhappy people, had they just extended some kind of perk.

Yes, it would have. They charge for them. :confused:

I think what the OP is saying though, is that Carnival could have absorbed the loss of revenue from sodas, as a measure of good will to their customers, since their customers are expected to absorb the loss of certain parts of the cruise they paid for. Especially, as the OP noted, the next cruise got 2 extra days free. Carnival also paid for the energy they used and the food they served on those two extra days for that cruise - which is a LOT more expenditure than what free sodas would have cost on the OP's cruise.

I think what the OP is saying though, is that Carnival could have absorbed the loss of revenue from sodas, as a measure of good will to their customers, since their customers are expected to absorb the loss of certain parts of the cruise they paid for. Especially, as the OP noted, the next cruise got 2 extra days free. Carnival also paid for the energy they used and the food they served on those two extra days for that cruise - which is a LOT more expenditure than what free sodas would have cost on the OP's cruise.

As a fellow Dentonite, I must concur! :) I do see the original poster's point also.

From past experiences I would not call them but mail them by form of US

Mail service.

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

I have had better luck with US Mail that email or phone.

Not that there hasn't been enough of these already, but here goes.

I completely agree with Carnival for making the decision they made not to port in Cozumel or Progreso. If someone had gotten sick, they would never heard the end of it. I understand they didn't have time to reroute us to a different destination. I read the contract before I signed it and fully understand they were within their right to do what they did.

Now that we have that straight, I do think there were some things Carnival could have done to show a little customer appreciation for what we were going through. Would it have hurt them to give free sodas? I am sure there was enough money generated by those who drink alcohol and gamble to have covered that expense.

How about a partial refund? The port fees that were my own money to begin with hardly counts. I'm not greedy enough to want all my money back. Heck I don't even want half. I did enjoy some delicious meals. I do believe a partial refund would have gone a long way with many people to ease hard feelings. I know there are those that wouldn't have been happy unless they got every cent back. I'm not one of those.

I've tried to call their customer service line. I asked for a supervisor 3 times and been disconnected all 3 times. I don't know if I will keep calling or not. It just seems like an exercise in frutility.

Again, I understand Carnival's rights. I read contracts for a living. I have to explain to people daily that they aren't "entitled" to certain things. But sometimes, there is more to customer service that the company spiel. Carnival didn't owe us anything, but they certainly could have offered us something. I think this is what has me feeling so disappointed. I would have thought a company the size of Carnival would be willing to go a little extra to appease their customers. I understand the cruise after us got extra days for free. Good for them. I mean that honestly, but it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Believe me, I know there are people that would have complained that free sodas weren't enough, that a partial refund wasn't enough. But not everyone feels that way. The fact is Carnival didn't even try.

One of their biggest money makers is off excursions but yes, they could have generated some good will for offering a perk or 2 to those unfortunates found on the ship. It would have proabably netted them some really good future business at a price probably cheaper than paid TV commercials.

One of their biggest money makers is off excursions but yes, they could have generated some good will for offering a perk or 2 to those unfortunates found on the ship. It would have proabably netted them some really good future business at a price probably cheaper than paid TV commercials.

Exactly! Excellent point!

Parrotthead,

The only thing we received was a refund of our $40 in port charges and of course any excursions we had booked. Sorry, but I don't consider a refund for port charges to a port I didn't visit a credit.

So far as Carnival saying here's a credit to make up for the inconvience, no that never happened.

Yeah, Port charges and excruisions you expect, I understand that.

I am really sursprised that you did not get some sort of OBC, I just figured they did that. Hmmm.

(I must compliment you on your attitude, there are so many posters fussing and your post is to the point with out the 'poor me' air to it)

:)

Yeah, Port charges and excruisions you expect, I understand that.

I am really sursprised that you did not get some sort of OBC, I just figured they did that. Hmmm.

(I must compliment you on your attitude, there are so many posters fussing and your post is to the point with out the 'poor me' air to it)

:)

Thanks. Believe me, it took me a few deep breaths to get to this point. I am sure I am just as disappointed as they are, but when you rant and rave using lots of caps and exclamation points your message gets lost.

I do understand their frustration though. To read about how the cruise

following us got 2 free days and we didn't even get a free soda or bottle of water is like salt on the wound.

If I am correct, there were some cruises cancelled in order to do the 7 day cruises. I hope those people at least have the option of a full refund rather than just credit on a future cruise. Since it's their money, it really should be their choice. Just my opinon of course.

You have a wonderful attitude.

I can't believe they left on 4/27. The Center for Diseease Control issued their travel warning on 4/27; No non-essential travel to Mexico.

If you work in customer service you know, it just doesn't matter, you take care of the customer. greater I try to make it a point to recognize good business practices and excellent customer service. It's not just your business they lose, but everyone you tell.

I don't think in this economy any business can stand to lost even one customer.

I can't believe they left on 4/27. The Center for Diseease Control issued their travel warning on 4/27; No non-essential travel to Mexico.

Yeah...Uh, Thats why they did not go to Mexico...:rolleyes:

I don't understand why anyone feels that they should have been given anything "extra" for a problem that was not Carnival's fault. Airlines did not give anything extra to their passengers who cancelled their fights nor did hotels give their guests anything extra for cancelled reservations. You still got what you paid for - a 5 day cruise. Did it suck that you didn't go to the ports that you originally planned on - sure. But your alternative was either 5 days at sea or taking a chance of catching the flying pig/SARS/black plague/yellow fever/anthrax/whatever the latest health crisis is ....

Had Carnival created this problem, I get the point entirely, but it didn't. Sounds more like folks are upset that subsequent cruises got a free 7 day for the 5 day price. Life isn't fair. Put your big girl panties/big boy underwear on and deal with it.

If you work in customer service you know, it just doesn't matter, you take care of the customer. greater I try to make it a point to recognize good business practices and excellent customer service. It's not just your business they lose, but everyone you tell.

I don't think in this economy any business can stand to lost even one customer.

I have to disagree about customer service. The customer is always right, to a point. When the customer demands things that are just plain unreasonable however, businesses can and do turn them down. I did it all day long, working in customer service. And of course businesses can stand to lose customers if what the customer is demanding will end up costing them more than keeping their business.

Please note I am not saying that the OP or anyone else in this thread is being unreasonable or not, I am making general statements in regard to a far too broad view of customer service, at least in my opinion.

I feel sad for all of the affected travelers (and non travelers). I agree that it is within reason to hope that Carnival would offer up some gesture of apology. I don't exactly understand the rationale that since it wasn't their fault, they shouldn't do anything. I think of my own business experiences (as a customer or an employee), and there are times where good business can happen when it doesn't have to, you know? When thinking about my own job, sure, I could go to work each day and do only what I had to do or what was legally required of me, but my preference is to go above and beyond-- especially in unfortunate situations. I don't know, that may be too apples and oranges for some people, but I know that I, too, would have hoped for a little something had I been in your shoes.

Not saying it would not have been nice or a good public relations move for Carnival to offer something extra for the inconvenience, but I do feel that no customer should expect something extra from a business for a situation the business had no control over. I don't expect an on-line retailer to offer me extra products or future discounts when UPS makes a mistake in delivery. Nor do I expect my doctor to provide a freebie when my usual pharmacy does not have the prescription he wrote for me and I have to go to another one further from home.

Flame away but I have to agree with the OP. I just got off the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise to San Francisco. I know what's in the contract. I know I'm not guaranteed anything. But we had 600 people who were rewarded for their whining at the expense of those who chose to stay on board. Our 8am San Francisco docking turned into 1:30. Yes, we had 2 free hours of cocktails but what if you don't drink? And many people did not even hear the CD's announcement.

Again, I never expected anything but I think a little something (and as a stockholder, I'm certainly not saying let's give away the farm ;)) could have gone a long way and would have been nice. I would be curious as to how many of the 600 who got off our boat were first timers. And being in customer service myself, people with a bad experience are going to tell a lot more people about that than those who had a positive one.

I don't understand why anyone feels that they should have been given anything "extra" for a problem that was not Carnival's fault. Airlines did not give anything extra to their passengers who cancelled their fights nor did hotels give their guests anything extra for cancelled reservations. You still got what you paid for - a 5 day cruise. Did it suck that you didn't go to the ports that you originally planned on - sure. But your alternative was either 5 days at sea or taking a chance of catching the flying pig/SARS/black plague/yellow fever/anthrax/whatever the latest health crisis is ....

Had Carnival created this problem, I get the point entirely, but it didn't. Sounds more like folks are upset that subsequent cruises got a free 7 day for the 5 day price. Life isn't fair. Put your big girl panties/big boy underwear on and deal with it.

If you will recall, I said Carnival doesn't owe us anything. I just said it would have been a nice gesture if they had offer a small perk.The difference between my cruise and the airlines/hotels is that those people get their money back. I didn't get that option.

So far as what I am upset about, you don't know me or have a clue about what upsets me. I'm happy that those people are getting a nice vacation out of the chaos, however, it doesn't do anything to make me feel any better what happened to mine. The two feelings are not joined at the hip.

Having lived 50 years, I fully understand life isn't fair. I find your comment about big girl panties rude and condescending, especially in light of that I tried to post without any ranting and raving or making threats or demands. I've been nothing but polite on this thread. Too bad you couldn't do the same. It tells much more about you than it does me.

Archived