Carnival Magic

Galveston. well Texas, is a huge market for Carnival. The ships always sail full and command good prices.

John indicated that there's a strong chance that we'll see a third ship here.

Makes perfect sense to me. Put the ship where there's little competition and you can make a good buck on each and every cabin...

:)

Yes, I understand Texas is a large market for Carnival, but Florida is much larger. Another poster referenced driving distance...fair point, but what about people that have to fly? Getting to Galveston from either Houston airport is a PITA, and the reason I have not cruised out of Galveston. Do I think Galveston can accomodate a third ship? Yes, but it should be an existing ship, not the newest build. By putting the Dream in Pt Canaveral and the Magic in Galveston, they would make it a hassle for people that have to fly to their cruises. .

Yes, I understand Texas is a large market for Carnival, but Florida is much larger. Another poster referenced driving distance...fair point, but what about people that have to fly? Getting to Galveston from either Houston airport is a PITA, and the reason I have not cruised out of Galveston. Do I think Galveston can accomodate a third ship? Yes, but it should be an existing ship, not the newest build. By putting the Dream in Pt Canaveral and the Magic in Galveston, they would make it a hassle for people that have to fly to their cruises. .

It's really not that difficult to get to Galveston from either airport in Houston, Bush or Hobby...

Hobby, serviced by SouthWest, is 30 minutes away. IAH is about an hour away. Not bad, certainly not as convenient as FLL is to Port Everglades but still pretty easy.

Carnival will send the ship where they feel they can make the most money. Galveston has that track record and can easily support the third ship...

Carnival will send the ship where they feel they can make the most money. Galveston has that track record and can easily support the third ship...

that's an important consideration there - in researching itineraries, i've been somewhat taken aback by the fact that one could sail on dream for about the same or even LESS than conquest :eek: - pretty regularly... that says a lot about supply & demand...

If Galveston gets the Magic, can New Orleans have the Conquest back?..........

They said they are thinking about puting a 3rd ship in Galveston, so the Conquest would probably stay. Also New Orleans is getting the Triumph.

that's an important consideration there - in researching itineraries, i've been somewhat taken aback by the fact that one could sail on dream for about the same or even LESS than conquest :eek: - pretty regularly... that says a lot about supply & demand...

Exactly... The Conquest will probably command at least $150 more /pp than the Dream is for our group cruise...

When economics are a consideration (and when aren't they...) the sailings from Galveston are winners...

I'm biased on this because of where I live but if it was Galveston, how about some 8 or 14-day itineraries to the eastern/southern caribbean. Please, not more western, there's enough options there already. And if it goes to Nassau I'll be very disappointed.

If the Magic is homeported in Galveston, then they will have to come up with some new iteneraries. It would be stupid if they put the newest and largest Carnival ship in Galveston doing Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay.

If the Magic is homeported in Galveston, then they will have to come up with some new iteneraries. It would be stupid if they put the newest and largest Carnival ship in Galveston doing Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay.

Absolutely agree. And the "eastern" route that they have the Conquest doing doesn't cut it.

Exactly... The Conquest will probably command at least $150 more /pp than the Dream is for our group cruise...

When economics are a consideration (and when aren't they...) the sailings from Galveston are winners...

Valid points. However, with a third ship and therefore more supply, the premium to sail out of Galveston will likely go down.

We did chat a bit about eight and nine day sailings from Galveston...

Valid points. However, with a third ship and therefore more supply, the premium to sail out of Galveston will likely go down.

definitely possible, but i think that remains to be seen. if they can maintain a proportional level of demand (think of it as people who want to cruise vs. available accomodations), matched to the greater supply, then the premium seen in prices could remain unabetted.

there will be a lot of demand just to sail the new ship at first, so it would in essence have its own market niche initially...

don't get me wrong, i'd definitely be pleased if the premium goes down - regardless, it's a good port for carnival if they can manage just to sail above standard double occupancy, as has been proven with galveston sailings... increasing supply to be better matched to demand, and in turn lowering price premiums as you propose would be good for passengers, and in the end also for carnival. seems kinda like a win-win however you look at it.

I doubt it. New ships generally command a premium on their own but with different itineraries AND a new ship I believe that they'll do great!!!

Not sure why Galveston? Houston has a perfectly acceptable, empty terminal.

I don't remember what John said, but I think he said that they arn't going to be sailing from Houston becuase they are already established in Galveston.

Archived