Question about Butlers and Suite Access

horsesrus

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before, I did try to search on it and didn't find the actual answer to my question.

So... I read a lot about butlers just coming and going from your suite. My question is this; is there a lock inside the room that you can use where nobody (even with an access card) can get into your room just like at any hotel and pretty much in any stateroom I've been in on other lines?

I wonder about this every time I read about butlers just knocking and entering (or sometimes not knocking and entering). I will be in an NCL suite for the first time in a few weeks and in addition to not wanting the butler to walk in on anything that they don't want to see I would not be comfortable sleeping in a cabin knowing someone could just come in if they got their hands on one of those cards.

If there is a lock inside do the butlers ask you not to use it so they can come and go easier? Is this just a personal decision that you discuss with your butler from the beginning? I mean, I'm one of those people that any time I'm in my room I have the security lock engaged. I don't want to anger or inconvenience the butler and if we ask for something we'll be sure to disengage the lock if we know he's heading our way; but other then that, I'm not interested in him coming in as he pleases.

Anybody with experience with this that would like to share?

Thanks!

When we don't want to be disturbed we just put out the "do not disturb sign" and have never been bothered or interrupted. I guess I have never noticed an extra lock as the sign has always worked. Your going to love the "suite life".

If you would feel more comfortable speak with your Butler right away and let him know you will notify him if you have any needs and that he does not have to stop by unless you request it. Same with your concierge.

Have a great cruise!

There is another lock that you can turn to secure the door. We only used it at night. We would lock the door just as we do at home when we go to bed.

As far as the butler and concierge entering the suite. They always knocked before entering. If we were out of the suite they would just enter and leave our treats for the day. It was never an issue.

[so... I read a lot about butlers just coming and going from your suite. My question is this; is there a lock inside the room that you can use where nobody (even with an access card) can get into your room just like at any hotel and pretty much in any stateroom I've been in on other lines?

on PoA we never had any crew member, including the butler, walk in without knocking or knock and walk in right away. The butler did come in after the cabin steward to inspect the room and bring anything we requested.

As I recall there was a latch type lock on the inside of the door, but for safety reasons, at least some crew members need to be able to override that. For us it was very much like a hotel: we put out "do not disturb" or "please make up room" signs. The stewards would come when we were out, and no crew members were just strolling in and out.

When we don't want to be disturbed we just put out the "do not disturb sign" and have never been bothered or interrupted. I guess I have never noticed an extra lock as the sign has always worked. Your going to love the "suite life".

If you would feel more comfortable speak with your Butler right away and let him know you will notify him if you have any needs and that he does not have to stop by unless you request it. Same with your concierge.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, we'll just talk to him from the beginning (in a nice way of course). I would still love to know if there's a lock. I seriously won't sleep well if there isn't one, maybe I should bring one of those rubber door stop things to stick behind the door at night. :)

BTW - thanks again for the concierge email information. Carlos is on the Jewel and he has already made a wonderful impression. He arranged for our adult beverage that wasn't on the bar set up list and has been wonderfully responsive and proactive to make sure we are all set to go when we step on the ship. I've no doubt we'll have a wonderful cruise, 2 weeks can't come soon enough!

Thanks, we'll just talk to him from the beginning (in a nice way of course). I would still love to know if there's a lock. I seriously won't sleep well if there isn't one, maybe I should bring one of those rubber door stop things to stick behind the door at night. :)

BTW - thanks again for the concierge email information. Carlos is on the Jewel and he has already made a wonderful impression. He arranged for our adult beverage that wasn't on the bar set up list and has been wonderfully responsive and proactive to make sure we are all set to go when we step on the ship. I've no doubt we'll have a wonderful cruise, 2 weeks can't come soon enough!

You dont have to worry about bringing a doorstop, there is a swing latch

lock that you see in Hotels that ensures that nobody can enter your cabin...we used it at night but that was it......Enjoy your trip and your butler, they can really make you feel right at home..:)

You dont have to worry about bringing a doorstop, there is a swing latch

lock that you see in Hotels that ensures that nobody can enter your cabin...we used it at night but that was it......Enjoy your trip and your butler, they can really make you feel right at home..:)

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I really am just concerned at night or while getting showered and dressed; that could be frightening for all parties involved! I don't have a problem leaving it unlatched when awake and dressed; I'm sure it's more convenient especially if the butler is trying to enter with a tray of food or something.

Appreciate all the information everyone!

When we were in an AC on the Jade in Sept 2009 our butler would knock on the door and wouldn't open the door unless we did it for him (if I recall correctly) - we usually left the door wheel on Do Not Disturb if we were in the room - and if we called from the room for something but were out on the balcony, he would call the room from his phone if we didn't hear him knock. He often times had his arms full of stuff for us - we used him alot.

Only time that he may enter with you not being there - if you get them - the canapes at night - just leave the wheel thing on Welcome - you aren't there, so no big deal.

There is definitely a lock. The turn dial things on the wall just outside the door are read by the butler/room stewards - they won't enter if you have it on Do Not Disturb even if it is time for turn down or make up of the room.

We didn't have an issue. If you are concerned, just ask the butler to not enter the room without someone letting him in. Room stewards should follow the instruction wheel - or whatever it is called.

Hi Horses

Did you say carlos was the conceirge? Anka is gone?

Do you know who the butlers are by any chance?

TIA.

Hi Horses

Did you say carlos was the conceirge? Anka is gone?

Do you know who the butlers are by any chance?

TIA.

We emailed the generic concierge email addy for the Jewel and he responded and indicated he'd be our concierge for our sailing in May. Maybe he's filling in for Anka, I'm not sure. Though he indicated he's done the Baltics a number of times, maybe he's on the Jewel when in Europe?? I've read where others have had him on a different ship so sounds like they switch around some maybe.

Don't know who the butlers are at this time, I'll be posting a review when we return so if you are sailing after me I'll be sure to include the name of the one we have for our suite.

We emailed the generic concierge email addy for the Jewel and he responded and indicated he'd be our concierge for our sailing in May. Maybe he's filling in for Anka, I'm not sure. Though he indicated he's done the Baltics a number of times, maybe he's on the Jewel when in Europe?? I've read where others have had him on a different ship so sounds like they switch around some maybe.

Don't know who the butlers are at this time, I'll be posting a review when we return so if you are sailing after me I'll be sure to include the name of the one we have for our suite.

Thanks for the reply. We sail right before you, lol, maybe we can let you know who the butlers are, lol!.

We had Anka before and she was very good. I'm sure Carlos will be fine.

Cheers!

Carlos is a joy... please tell him Greg and Didi from the TA said hello.

Which suite are you in? We were in #9672 and our butler's name was Nelson and the cabin steward was Leslie... both were exceptional!

The doors all have dead-bolt locks that you can engage while in the room. As noted above, use the room occupancy indicator wheel next to the cabin door, you won't have any issues.

Thanks for the reply. We sail right before you, lol, maybe we can let you know who the butlers are, lol!.

We had Anka before and she was very good. I'm sure Carlos will be fine.

Cheers!

Lucky you, have a great time! Too bad we won't get to see your review before we head out. I'm sure what-ever butler we have they will be wonderful, we don't expect anything otherwise. :) I have no doubt we will all enjoy Carlos, he's been wonderful so far just via email and we look foward to sailing with him!

Carlos is a joy... please tell him Greg and Didi from the TA said hello.

Which suite are you in? We were in #9672 and our butler's name was Nelson and the cabin steward was Leslie... both were exceptional!

The doors all have dead-bolt locks that you can engage while in the room. As noted above, use the room occupancy indicator wheel next to the cabin door, you won't have any issues.

Will do, we've read only good things about Carlos. We're on deck 14, not sure the number right off but it's a Courtyard Villa -- sadly not the Garden Villa, we can only dream!

We too are in the courtyard villas for the May 22 sailing -would you please provide the email address for Carlos

Thanks

Darn, I was wanting to keep him all to myself! ;) Good to know you are in the Courtyard too, there are still 6 open A3's and both Garden Villa's open on our sailing. Unless they start upselling or upgrading we're going to have a pretty quiet courtyard I think!

Email me at mtskar at yahoo dot com and I'll send you the email address.

Archived