Dolphin Encounter/Stingray City and/or Turtle Farm

My husband and I are going to Grand Cayman in June - we have been there once before and did the Turtle Farm - it was pretty neat if I say so myself!!!!

I finally talked my husband into doing the Dolphin Encounter - he thinks its stupid but I really wanted to do it so he agreed -

Has anyone does this tour combination of dolphins and stingrays? It is worth it????

Dolphin Encounters are actually cruel to dolphins and you can do them in lots of different places! Stingray City is something that is unique to Grand Cayman and the rays come and go as they please and are a native species. Stingray City is fabulous trip and something that mesmerizes thousands of people. I would go with it firstly because it is not harmful in to the animals, secondly, is an outstanding experience and lastly because you cannot do it anywhere else in the world. P.S. I agree with your husband!

Dolphin Encounters are actually cruel to dolphins and you can do them in lots of different places! Stingray City is something that is unique to Grand Cayman and the rays come and go as they please and are a native species. Stingray City is fabulous trip and something that mesmerizes thousands of people. I would go with it firstly because it is not harmful in to the animals, secondly, is an outstanding experience and lastly because you cannot do it anywhere else in the world. P.S. I agree with your husband!

Why is it cruel to the dolphins? They get love, affection, and treats!!! I don't see how it's cruel to them

DH and I haven't done the Dolphin Encounter, but have gone to stingray city/snorkeling twice and loved it both times. I would highly recommend Stingray City. DH and I are going back to GC for the third time in September and are doing an island tour this time as we have been in the water for a majority of our port time during the last two visits. I've noticed that the Dolphin Encounters seem to be offered at many ports. I would not miss out on the stingrays and maybe try and fit in the dolphins at another port. Whatever you choose, have a great time!

DH and I haven't done the Dolphin Encounter, but have gone to stingray city/snorkeling twice and loved it both times. I would highly recommend Stingray City. DH and I are going back to GC for the third time in September and are doing an island tour this time as we have been in the water for a majority of our port time during the last two visits. I've noticed that the Dolphin Encounters seem to be offered at many ports. I would not miss out on the stingrays and maybe try and fit in the dolphins at another port. Whatever you choose, have a great time!

That's the thing - they offer a tour of the Dolphin Encounter and the Stingray City - all in the same tour!!!!!!

My wife is wanting me to squeeze in both the Royal Dolphin Swim and Stingray City as well. CCL extented our port window to 7:30am - 6:00pm. It looks like enough time, but like statements above, I don't want to get stressed. Do you think I can keep the little lady happy?

I have gone to Stingray City before and it was really cool. In fact, I have agreed to go again on our upcoming cruise. I have also done a dolphin encounter before (not in Cayman) and it was amazing! One of the coolest things I've done. I think going on a combined tour would be awesome. Have fun!!!

• 7 years later...
Why is it cruel to the dolphins? They get love, affection, and treats!!! I don't see how it's cruel to them

I'm not judging anyone for wanting to swim with dolphins, as I did it myself. But I will caution you to do an investigation into how the facility you choose to go to is run...there are differences! I'm certain nobody wants to support animal cruelty unknowingly! But here's an article (and there are many others if you choose to look further) on what happens behind the scenes at many of these dolphin encounters:

https://www.thedodo.com/swim-dolphins-caribbean-1094674999.html

Hope this helps explain!