Cave Tubing - Shoe Question???

lorilou

We're all set with Wet & Wild for Cave Tubing next month. But we do have some questions regarding what shoes are best to wear. I've heard old tennis shoes, "teva" type sandals and water shoes. Which is best for the hike???

Lori

Just got back from the NCL Sun and went cave tubing with X-Stream last week. The hike is not very strenuous. I wore strap on sandals while my wife wore a heel less slip on shoe. I would be more concerned about shoes that will stay on your feet while tubing as opposed to the hike.

The caves are pretty cool. Especially if your group has enough separation from other groups and your guide gets your entire group to turn off your lights. You can't even see your thoughts it's so dark in there. Very cool.

The BBQ chicken meal afterwards is good too. For $5.00 you guy the chicken (nice sauce) garlic bread, 3 bean salad, green salad, fried plantain, a double chocolate muffin and a glass of fruit/guava juice. Very tasty.

I would wear something that is comfortable, but that isn't too loose that you would worry about losing them in the river. I wore water shoes and they were great. The hike isn't a big deal, but make sure that you are comfortable wearing whatever you choose for an extended amount of time. I know another person posted about the lunch, but if you are using Wet n Wild (that's who we used), your lunch is included and delicious! ENJOY!!!

We are going with X-stream in March. At Wal-mart I got some tennis shoe type shoes that are mesh. They will be good for walking and the water should go thru them so they are not soaked. Should dry fairly quick too. I plan on wearing them to the beaches too.

Or like someone else mentioned... you could get some of those cheap canvas tennis shoes and then just toss them out afterwards. I think you can find them for about $5 at Wal-mart too!

noedig,

I just posted a note to you on the Roatan board about the canopy tour/beach party, and now I see you took the same excursion in Belize that we will be taking.

We are booked with X-Stream as well. Did you have any problems making it back to the dock on time? Did you feel at all rushed or stressed about getting back in time? Did you have to wait for other passengers before your tour left? Did you have a long wait getting off the Sun to tender?

WDWfan13

check out the topic "Cave Tubing in Belize". I gave more details about our cave-tubing there. Although I don't know if I mentioned this detail regarding the Sun: Since it is a tendering port, and I had a private tour booked, you needed to meet at the Champagne bar at 8:00am to get tender tickets. We had to do this twice on the cruise and both times there were about 50 people waiting. For this particular tender, the staff member actually started to hand out tickets at 7:45. Just sit yourself down on one of the stools at the bar, because that is where they handed them out. Also be aware when waiting to hear your tender number being called. They told us in Grand Cayman that you can wait in the public areas and then report to deck 3 when you hear your number range being called. My wife and I discovered 3 public area's where you could not hear the announcements, and we ended up missing the first tender boat and getting the second. So we waited in the line of people at the disembarkation area (which they tell you not to do - I had one Staff member tell us that we could just wait in a public area, and when I told him what happened in Grand Cayman he agreed with my waiting there and wrote a note down to mention this to the powers that be) until they cleared customs and started to tender.

Hope that helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about the shoes. They rent river shoes right there for $5.00. It beats buying a pair of tennis shoes to throw away. I put on a pair of tennis shoes I found there and they rubbed against the back of my feet so much I took them off and walked barefoot! The walk is easy and most of it is on very compacted wet dirt so it is pretty soft. There are some parts that have rocks but it is more like large gravel. The rocks were not sharp, but round.

This was so much fun! The shack where the sell food is a great place! the meal was only $5.00 and was some of the best barbequed chicken I have ever had. It came with a ton of food! If you have time I highly recommend it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of New Balance water shoes that I found on an internet site called zappos

I don't know if they still sell them as I bought them over a year ago but they are very sturdy and very comfortable and great for water-walking activites like the caves or waterfall climbing.

Archived