Bug Zoo, Victoria, worth a visit?

Newbie0210

I'm posting this in the Alaska thread since Victoria is a stop for some of the Alaska cruises. We'll be on the Pearl in late July, stopping in Victoria on a Saturday night from 6 pm to midnight. Does anybody know if the Bug Zoo is open that late and has anybody been there? Is it fun? There will be ten of us, six adults and 4 kids age 6, 8, 9 and 13. Their website shows current hours only till 5 pm, but I wonder if they are open later during cruise season. Thanks.

I was told the Inner Harbour stays open late when a cruise ship is in port, and...well I don't know what the locals say, but I would consider the bug zoo part of the Inner Harbour. I was there, and I think it would be a great kids' activity. Also check out the Crystal Gardens, if you have time. There are a number of other good kids' stuff in the Inner Harbour as well--actually, come to think of it, there's a lot. The Wax Museum, the Miniature Museum, the BC Museum, and some undersea thing (the Undersea Gardens?). We visited most of these, but then we were in Victoria for five days. My favorites (if I was a kid) were the Miniature Museum and certain sections of the Royal BC Museum. The Wax Museum was cool, but you can do that in Dallas.

Across the street from the Bug Museum is the Miniature Museum, it is actually part of the Empress Hotel. Lots of different miniature displays of fairy tales, WWII battles, etc. My son (and DH), loved it. AAA discount. The Bug Museum didn't seem to be open when we were there on a Saturday evening.

http://www.miniatureworld.com/

I would be very surprised if the Bug Zoo doesn't extend their hours for the summer and particularly on nights the ships are in town. If not, i am inclined to agree with the recommendation of Miniature World, I know that it would appeal to the children.

Archived