Auckland to Sydney, Jan. 3rd, 2010 ???

LBR#48

I just booked this trip. It'll be our 3rd Silversea cruise. I was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary recently & would relate their insights and impressions. Also, we have not been on the Whisper. How's the current condition ? Anyone on here also scheduled to take this trip ?:cool:

I did the Jan 3 cruise this year. Even though it is Summer there, don't think you can wear shorts! Bring a pair just in case, and pack a bathing suit for the hot tub (only one was working the whole cruise), but nobody used the pool because of the cold.

If you stop in Burnie Tasmania, take the trip to Wings Wildlife Park. The drive there alone is worth the price!

I'm going to suggest you definitely do bring shorts for HOT weather. Sydney can get several days in a row over 38c (read 100F+) and during late January this year Melbourne sweltered. Weather in NZ is alays variable, summer 07 was in the high 80s for quite a few days in a row esp on the north island, ie Tauranga, Napier and Auckland.

yes it can be quite cool in Milford and Tasmaniaif there is a southerly change and thw iwnd blows from the Antarctic.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/index.shtml will give you access to some climate stats for Australia..

"....in Burnie Tasmania, take the trip to Wings Wildlife Park. The drive there alone is worth the price!"

I couldn't agree with you more! And, on way back, I recommend the small tea-room opposite the penguin in Penguin.

But, as for the Pool, on the first day of the voyage down from Sydney and on a warm day, they took on a Pool-full of water right out of the ocean which was salty, and brisk yet wonderful. It was much commented upon.

Pool-malfunction next day meant it didn't continue: there was no Pool until Dunedin.

But, from there on, for the next 5 days or so until Auckland, I swam every day in warm, bright and sunny conditions and perfect water surrounded by lots of people sunning and reading on the lounges.

Thanks for all the good responses. We are stopping at Burnie & we'll take the ground trip. We are somewhat new to international travel & want to see and do.....just everything! I'm glad to hear about the weather. My wife was afraid that it would be really hot, all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

LBR#48:

As I said earlier, last year, I did the trip the other way round: from Sydney to Auckland.

You seem particularly keen to get as much information as possible.

I have kept the Whisper's daily 4-page Chronicle for each city. I am happy to scan the two relevant pages of each which tell of the city and surrounds and the excursions and where the ship is tying up and the like (the other two pages are usually of what's happening on board) and send these to you, along with any out-of-the-way stuff I came across.

A lot of this is on the Silver Sea web-site, and some of it's not.

dm297609@gmail.com

• 5 months later...

In Tauranga we two hired a canoe, at a beach in sight of where the boat docks, and paddled over to Mount Maunganui (which fills the skyline) to swim off a scenic beach in lovely water. (We're in early 60's but fit; tho' the paddle back did seem a trifle longer, but you're always well in sight of the Whisper.) Afterwards, at about 4 pm, we took a much-to-be-recommended and far from expensive 10 minute helicopter ride over Tauranga. The company had a guy right outside where you come out of the wharf area. Very professional. Again, we seemed to be the only ones who did it; but I am really glad we did.

Burnie: the Mayor, in his robes, welcomes the Ship, along with the Mayoress. He's a beaut bloke. Burnie is a must for sharing a Taxi; the rate was very reasonable and the drivers are friendly, knowledgable locals, who all seem to be in their 50's and who you get from the local Tourism office. Our car was a very recent model Ford Falcon.

Oh, I remember the mayor in all his splendor! He seemed so happy to greet us.

In Napier, we wondered around the shops for awhile and then went to the very well-run visitors center where they got us a van with a driver/guide. She took us through some beautiful countryside, bought us ice cream and dropped us off back at the ship. It was well worth it and it made for a wonderful day.

We were on the Whisper in September (Athens to Venice) - absolutely fantastic! She was in beautiful condition and we didn't find fault with anything :D Everything was perfect!

I'm a Kiwi living in Australia so as far as your itinerary goes, you've chosen a couple of great countries to visit. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Archived