Bike Trails in Skagway

charuti

Does anyone know any good trails where we can bike? We are thinking of renting bikes at Sourdough Vehicle & Bicycle Rental after our tour with dyea dave. I'm not a big fan of riding bikes on the road with cars. Is there a easy to get from the rental place to one of the trails?

Ride to the Gold Rush Cemetery, about 2 level miles each way. Lock your bikes and hike 1/2 mile to Reid Falls.

Head back towards downtown and get on the Yukon Hwy headed up White Pass. In a mile or two take the turnoff to the left to Dyea (well marked, major junction). Pedal up the long (!) grade. At the top is a view park with a deck that overlooks the city. From there you can continue on the road to Dyea...we didn't do that, I think it's about 12 miles each way and mostly level since it follows the shoreline. IIRC they have shuttle bike trips to Dyea.

Just after the previously mentioned viewing deck, there's a very fun road on the downhill side of the road with a sign saying "Grizzly Ass Trail". It's just before the pavement ends on the Dyea Rd. It's a quick downhill shortcut back into town.

Have fun!

Wow. The ride to Dyea sounds like fun. Is this a pack gravel road? Is the only hard part the uphill climb from Skagway to the Scenic viewpoint? Once in Dyea is there bike trails around there. I think I saw one of the cruise line has a "rainforest bike trail" around Dyea. Do you know where it is.

So how long would it take to bike from Skageway to Dyea one way? Also if this road cyleable even in the rain?

I'm hoping to rent a bike at Sockeye cycle for the day. They advertise they can't make day reservation. hopfully I'll be the first one there when they open.

Thanks

Sorry, as mentioned in my post we didn't ride out to Dyea, just the first 1-2 miles of the paved road as far as the overlook and shortcut back to town. Since the cycle tours have people of all abilities and I saw independent riders on trail bikes, I assume the unpaved road isn't bad. The grade is moderate but long. It was kinda fun leaving my teenage son far behind and also passing 20-ish riders! :) As long as your cycling fitness is 2-3 out of 5 you will be fine.

Someone else can answer the other questions.

• 5 years later...