Anyone been to Stingray City Lately?

IslandToIsland

We went in February and loved it. We went with RCCL and they offered different times. We took the 830 tour and there was maybe 25 of us out there for the whole time. As we were leaving the place was getting packed. If you go get the earliest time you can.

We will be sailing here in October and my boyfriend and I want to do Stingray City. Does anyone know if we can book with a company off the ship? Do you think this is worth it? Could you make any recommendations to us?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

they are no longer enclosed, but there is still a swim line like at the hotels. I like the changes being made there. Seems like fewer crew but more professional service too. The guy who started it is back managing it i think which is better.

We were at Stingray City last week. Didn't do it as a specific excursion - rather, it was a stop on the excursion we did (Eli's Xtreme Circumnav).

It was a cool experience. Guides were helpful and educational. Explained what to do and not do. Then you get in shallow water (3-4ft). The stingrays are everywhere. It's a little freaky at first when all of a sudden one comes swimming right up behind you, but you get used to it. You do the obligatory picture holding one...then can snorkel around (the water gets a little deeper in some areas.

I enjoyed it. I wouldn't have wanted to do this as my only excursion - it's a beautiful island and there is a lot to see.

Here is one picture from there

372839-R1-19-18A.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Stingray City June 12th, 2009. We booked it through our ship. It was the only excursion we booked through the ship, since the only outside excursion that I could find visiting Stingray City was Eli's Circumnav Tour. I'm sure Eli's tour would've been a lot of fun...it was just a little outside our budget.

We did the 10:15 am tour which wasn't crowded, but remember June is their low season. It took us about 20-25 minutes to get to Stingray City from the pier. The guys at Stingray City were super friendly and very informative. They gave a talk on stingray anatomy and explained how to feed them and how to do the 'stingray shuffle,' to avoid stepping on a ray. From the landing, it's about a 10-minute boat ride out to the stingray area. Our group of about 25 were the only ones there. It was awesome right from the start! We weren't spooked by them, at all. They were a little like puppy dogs, gently brushing up against us to be fed. BTW, this only happens if you choose to feed them squid. It was quite a unique experience! We loved it...my kids said it was their favorite excursion of the whole trip! That's saying something because we did several great excursions.

Here are some of our underwater shots from Stingray City:

<210.jpg>

My daughter holding a ray

<179.jpg>

Gentle and graceful animals

<145.jpg>

Like my new skirt?!!

Don't pass up a chance to swim with the stingrays. It's pretty amazing! :)

Debbie

Archived