Oslo Hotels

Embracedbylife

Anyone ever stay in Oslo? We are disembarking early on our Baltic cruise and I'm trying to find a place close to the train station (want to just get up and walk there the morning of our flight to catch the fast train to the airport). I've been reading about Thon Opera hotel, seems nice, but expensive. Most people on other websites say a lot of the hotels are near bars which is discouraging to me so i'm looking at the Opera hotel. Any other suggestions?

We stayed in Oslo ( July) for 3 nights in a downtown hotel, in '06 It rained for the 3 days, sometimes heavy and sometimes light, but when we there in July '08, the weather was beautiful. All the hotels in Scandanavia are small, (sometimes tiny) and expensive but if you book a hotel that is in the centre of the city, you can walk everywhere or get the tram. All the sights are easily navigable by public transport. The people are always friendly, to make up for the small rooms, so just explore lots - you are only in the room to sleep - enjoy :)

• 8 months later...

since your cruise has passed, please let me know which hotel you chose and how you got from the pier to the hotel and then the hotel to the train station to catch the airport express? we are on the vision of the seas docking on june 5, 2010 and will only be spending 1 night. any other suggestions would be appreciated

We stayed at a Best Western in Oslo that was on a major bus route. The room was a little strange in that it had a hall behind the entrance door and the large bathroom probably was a seperate room at some time. Lots of good restaurants etc within walking distance.

The Norwegians were so friendly and they all spoke English and would volunteer information that you needed. We took the streetcar up to the restaurant at the bottom of the ski jump (boy those things are high -- I would never be able to go flying off them :eek::eek: NEVER)that had great food and wonderful view out over the city. The museums on the museum island were fascinating. Loved Oslo but VERY expensive. Worth it.

Go over to Trip Advisor and take a look at the hotels. Always good site to see what is available. When in Europe especially make sure that you are not prepaying your room -- last few years my rooms have gone down multiple times and I would cancel and rebook.

Archived