New case of swine flu in Ak Waters

cmamd

Just received email from Adn that first case of swine flu in Alaska water on cruise ship SOS. One case which has been isolated to the ship, all appears to be going well for the ill person who is crew member.

Just received email from Adn that first case of swine flu in Alaska water on cruise ship SOS. One case which has been isolated to the ship, all appears to be going well for the ill person who is crew member.

She's not likely to be the only one, depending on how quickly they caught it, but she had to have breathed near people, be it coworkers and/or pax (depending on her job classification). Most of our patients who have had it have done fine on antivirals (they felt like "death warmed over" for a while, but are recovering nicely).

Those who came into contact with her should notify their health care providers immediately if they come down with flu like symptoms, because the Tamiflu and Relenza only work if given in the first 48 hours of the symptoms.

the person TESTED NEGATIVE for Swine flu....Whether that was because she did not have it...or because of 3 days of Tamiflu....no one will know but all the state labs tests were negative...Typical of the ADN writing about suppositions...

So I'm guessing my ship will be really clean by the time I sail her!

I thought the same thing, once something has happened, extra precautions are taken right after :)

Archived