Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

The website posted with the great information and pictures said that in November most of the shops and restaurants will be closed. We will be there early in November with the Pacific Princess can anyone tell me what we can expect to find open please?

Thank you

The entire town does not close down during November, but many outdoor restaurants and some shops will begin close their doors. Our historical sites will begin limited hours, most being from 10am until 3 or 4pm. You may want to decide if you will walk the wall, perhaps only half which takes about 1 hour. There are still many sites left, such as the Rectors Palace, Rupe Museum, Franciscan Monastery, Dominican Monastery and of course the cable car ride to the top of the mountain (weather depending).

As I mentioned prior, the website is good but not totally accurate. You should do your own research by visiting the Dubrovnik Tourist bureau website.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

Hi, we are planning on taking a "little" excursion in Dubrovnik and were looking at the "walking tour and cable car" at $59.

Any views on whether this is worth it or is out time better spent elsewhere?

Thanks!

Description: $59 per person: Depart the Port of Dubrovnik on foot to the newly opened cable car station situated in the vicinity of the Old Town. Arriving at the station, proceed by cable car to Srd Hill. From here you'll enjoy a bird's eye view of the greatness of the city and surroundings. You'll never forget the centuries-old Dubrovnik rooftops. After returning by cable car to the main station, your guide will lead you on a walking tour of the Old Town. At the end of the walking tour, you'll have free time to enjoy the Old Town on your own and return to your ship at leisure."

Hi, we are planning on taking a "little" excursion in Dubrovnik and were looking at the "walking tour and cable car" at $59.

Thanks!

Description: $59 per person: Depart the Port of Dubrovnik on foot to the newly opened cable car station situated in the vicinity of the Old Town. Arriving at the station, proceed by cable car to Srd Hill. From here you'll enjoy a bird's eye view of the greatness of the city and surroundings. You'll never forget the centuries-old Dubrovnik rooftops. After returning by cable car to the main station, your guide will lead you on a walking tour of the Old Town. At the end of the walking tour, you'll have free time to enjoy the Old Town on your own and return to your ship at leisure."

Viewing Dubrovnik from the top of Mt. Srd is breathtaking and locating the entrance on your own is no simple task. By using a guide you will have an orientation of the old town and can decide which historical site you might wish to visit. I personally know Dubrovnik cannot be experienced on your own, so by all means use a guide. Please walk the side streets, that is where you will find some lovely shops and great small konabas for lunch. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you very much for the information. I can not believe how beautiful your city is. I am praying for a beautiful sunny day when we visit in November!

We are now begging for a day of rain just to break the high temperatures of these past couple of weeks. I hope we get the rain now rather than November also. Do dress in layers, it could also be cold or windy. Pack some type of rain gear, something to throw over your clothing just in case.

Viewing Dubrovnik from the top of Mt. Srd is breathtaking and locating the entrance on your own is no simple task. By using a guide you will have an orientation of the old town and can decide which historical site you might wish to visit. I personally know Dubrovnik cannot be experienced on your own, so by all means use a guide. Please walk the side streets, that is where you will find some lovely shops and great small konabas for lunch. Enjoy your time here.

thanks Dubrovniktravelady :)

Thanks!

Can you give me info on the tour you are referring to and how to get in touch with them? Thanks.

We are now begging for a day of rain just to break the high temperatures of these past couple of weeks. I hope we get the rain now rather than November also. Do dress in layers, it could also be cold or windy. Pack some type of rain gear, something to throw over your clothing just in case.

We will be in Dubrovnik on a cruise on Nov. 10, 2011. Is that early enough in the month for most things to still be open? Should we expect cold, windy and rainy that early in the month? Hopefully it will be nice. We are on the Oceania Insignia - do you know where it will dock? I know we will have to tender in but am hoping it will be the port closest to the Old Town. Thanks for your help.

We will be in Dubrovnik on a cruise on Nov. 10, 2011. Is that early enough in the month for most things to still be open? Should we expect cold, windy and rainy that early in the month? Hopefully it will be nice. We are on the Oceania Insignia - do you know where it will dock? I know we will have to tender in but am hoping it will be the port closest to the Old Town. Thanks for your help.

Your ship arrives at 0800 and departs at 1500, should be enough time to visit our historical sites which are open from 0900 - 1400.

It's November, could be sunny and warm or wet and cold, who knows these days. I do suggest you dress in layers and bring rain gear, just in case.

Your ship will be docked at the Gruz harbor, furthest from the old town. Check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle service into town, most do.

Hi Dubrovniklady, thank you so much for the wonderful advice you have provided on this forum , it has proved invaluable for our forthcoming trip. We will be arriving on Voyager of the Seas on the 12th October, any idea how many other ships will be in port on that day? We are planning to take a taxi from the port to the Cable Car (12 euros?), travel on the cable car and enjoy the view, then walk the walls from the Polce Gate entrance which I understand is not too far from the cable car. Once we have walked the walls, I assume we will get off where we started at Polce Gate, but will it be easy to walk into the town and pick up a taxi from there. I understand also that we will definitely need Kuna for the walls and the cable car which we hope to get from home before our departure. Do you think we are realistic in our plans for the day or should be miss the cable car, although the views look spectacular! Thanks once again for all your advice.

Kittycat

Hi Dubrovniklady, thank you so much for the wonderful advice you have provided on this forum , it has proved invaluable for our forthcoming trip. We will be arriving on Voyager of the Seas on the 12th October, any idea how many other ships will be in port on that day? We are planning to take a taxi from the port to the Cable Car (12 euros?), travel on the cable car and enjoy the view, then walk the walls from the Polce Gate entrance which I understand is not too far from the cable car. Once we have walked the walls, I assume we will get off where we started at Polce Gate, but will it be easy to walk into the town and pick up a taxi from there. I understand also that we will definitely need Kuna for the walls and the cable car which we hope to get from home before our departure. Do you think we are realistic in our plans for the day or should be miss the cable car, although the views look spectacular! Thanks once again for all your advice.

Kittycat

There are 4 other ships in port on your arrival date, however nothing as large as Voyager, total passenger count of only 6,000. Depending on the weather, you have more than enough time to enjoy the view from Mt Srd, walk the wall and visit some of our cultural sites. There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just the wall - Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace, Dominican Monastery and their museum. Lunch at one of our lovely outdoor cafes and do not miss the opportunity to sample some of our local Dalmatian wine. The very best gelato is off the main drag, use the side streets for more interesting shops and restaurants.

No matter how many cruisers claim Dubrovnik is easily done on your own, I know the hidden gems and the cultural sites will not be seen by those who do not invest in a private guide.

Enjoy your time here.

Hello Dubrovniklady, thank you for all the valuable information on this board. We arrive Sept. 27th on Ruby Princess. Since our itinerary states Dubrovnik is a tender port could you tell me if we will be tendered to Gruz harbor or is there someplace nearer the pile gate to tender?

Hello Dubrovniklady, thank you for all the valuable information on this board. We arrive Sept. 27th on Ruby Princess. Since our itinerary states Dubrovnik is a tender port could you tell me if we will be tendered to Gruz harbor or is there someplace nearer the pile gate to tender?

According to our Dubrovnik port authority, Ruby Princess will be docked at berth 11 in our Gruz harbor. This location is the port which is the furthest from the old town. You should contact your cruise line regarding their shuttle services into the old town which will drop you near the Pile gate entrance.

Here is a website for the best tourist map of town, it has a blow up of the old town on the second page. Download it, this will help you get your bearings.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Can anyone recommend a private guide - we will be passengers on Voyager of the Seas in October - prefer not to do ship tours.

Also is it easy enough to obtain local currency via ATM etc.

thanks

You will find many ATM machines all over the town, best to use the ship shuttle bus to the Pile Braslje (square) and locate one inside of the old town. It is the easiest way to get to the historical part of Dubrovnik.

Sorry I cannot recommend any guides for Dubrovnik, the rules of cruise critic are specific in what a local resident can post.

There are 4 other ships in port on your arrival date, however nothing as large as Voyager, total passenger count of only 6,000. Depending on the weather, you have more than enough time to enjoy the view from Mt Srd, walk the wall and visit some of our cultural sites. There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just the wall - Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace, Dominican Monastery and their museum. Lunch at one of our lovely outdoor cafes and do not miss the opportunity to sample some of our local Dalmatian wine. The very best gelato is off the main drag, use the side streets for more interesting shops and restaurants.

No matter how many cruisers claim Dubrovnik is easily done on your own, I know the hidden gems and the cultural sites will not be seen by those who do not invest in a private guide.

Enjoy your time here.

How do you look at how many ships will be in port on your day of arrival? Thank you!

How do you look at how many ships will be in port on your day of arrival? Thank you!

Here is a link to the Port of Dubrovnik. Click on "Cruising" on the left side and then click on arrival/departures. You will get a pop up window. You check the month you are interested in and then click on the bottom button. You will get a schedule that shows which ships will be in port for each day of that month.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Here is a link to the Port of Dubrovnik. Click on "Cruising" on the left side and then click on arrival/departures. You will get a pop up window. You check the month you are interested in and then click on the bottom button. You will get a schedule that shows which ships will be in port for each day of that month.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Great site! Thank you very much.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Checking the port site you gave,it says on Oct 11 the NCL jade is at old town,what does that mean?

Thank You

maremike

It willl be anchored near the old town harbor and we will have to tender off the ship.

Here is a link to the Dubrovnik Cable Car website. There you will see a great picture of the old town section and if you move the picture to the left you can see 3 cruise ships anchored near the island of Lokrum.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Edited by CTCruisers

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Checking the port site you gave,it says on Oct 11 the NCL jade is at old town,what does that mean?

Thank You

maremike

Your ship will be at anchor in our old port, just next to the island of Lokrum which means you will tender into the old town. The old port is just steps away from the old town which is where our historical and cultural sites are located. That being said, if we are experiencing strong winds, your ship could be moved to the Gruz harbor on the other side of the entire town.

My photo below is of the old town with a small view of Lokrum.

Your ship will be at anchor in our old port, just next to the island of Lokrum which means you will tender into the old town. The old port is just steps away from the old town which is where our historical and cultural sites are located. That being said, if we are experiencing strong winds, your ship could be moved to the Gruz harbor on the other side of the entire town.

My photo below is of the old town with a small view of Lokrum.

We arrive in Dubrovnik via tender on Nov. 10, 2011 at Gruz Harbor. since this is the furthest away from the town, will there be taxis or cabs waiting at the dock to take us into town or should we reserve ahead of time? Don't know if any other ships will be there that day so don't know how many people will be needing a taxi. From what I have heard, Oceania is not running a shuttle. Thanks in advance for your help.

Enjoy your time here.

Hi dubrovnik lady, thanks for the very useful information. We are planning to look at some of the cultural sites once we have walked the walls, but how easy will it be for us to find a taxi in the old town and is there a fixed rate or do we need to negotiate. I think you have suggested that it would be too far to walk back to the ship, is that right?

thank you.