Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Carnival is always docked at the Gruz harbor. Please do keep in mind that we go off DST on 28 October, sunset will begin at 1641 on your arrival date. Cabrio should still be running,weather depending. It has been a very hot summer, still high 80's now but when the rain will begin again is a total unknown. Please do plan on a backup plan, just in case.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Would you recommend pre-booking tickets for the cable car? I was about to do a booking and then I thought it may not be a good idea if the weather is rainy on the day we arrive (22 Sept).

Do you know if the queues are very long for cable car tickets? What would you do: pre-book or not?

TIA!

Thank you for your help with jewellery stores, I will do a search for the 'real' jewellers online! I just realized that our Dubrovnik port day is Oct 21; a Sunday- will a lot of shops be

closed? :confused:

Some will be closed, a few open during morning hours only. Our winter hibernation will begin on 01 November. Of course weather may also dictate if an owner will come into town. Lots of information online about the jewelry stores.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Would you recommend pre-booking tickets for the cable car? I was about to do a booking and then I thought it may not be a good idea if the weather is rainy on the day we arrive (22 Sept).

Do you know if the queues are very long for cable car tickets? What would you do: pre-book or not?

TIA!

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

TIA!

My bus passes the cable car station, often there is a queue. I have not seen hoards of people,but who knows on you arrival date. September is not especially wet, but this has been a very strange summer. We are now still very warm and not much rain in our forecast. Do keep in mind the trip up is only 4 minutes, the car holds approximately 30 people and the queue does move quickly. I often do not pre-book, would rather take my chances. I find it interesting to strict up conversations with those around me to take my thoughts off waiting. One can meet some rather interesting characters!

• 2 weeks later...
My bus passes the cable car station, often there is a queue. I have not seen hoards of people,but who knows on you arrival date. September is not especially wet, but this has been a very strange summer. We are now still very warm and not much rain in our forecast. Do keep in mind the trip up is only 4 minutes, the car holds approximately 30 people and the queue does move quickly. I often do not pre-book, would rather take my chances. I find it interesting to strict up conversations with those around me to take my thoughts off waiting. One can meet some rather interesting characters!

Just wanted to let you know that sadly we missed Dubrovnik due to the weather conditions. Dubrovnik had been scheduled as a port that we would dock at, when we embarked the ship we were advised that it had become a tender port. Our captain attended our M&G and when asked about it he said it was something that had just been thrown at them by the port authorities days before. Later the plans were changed again and we were to dock in the morning then the Grand Princess would go out at anchor for several hours then return to the dock latter in the afternoon. At 7 am on our Dubrovnik morning the captain advised us that due to the weather and particularly the winds he was not prepared to risk the ship by going out to anchor in the small port area and was canceling the port entirely. Needless to say the whole matter has left a bad taste in our mouths as Dubrovnik was to be one of the highlights of our cruise.

The good news is that we are already planning on coming back next year.:)

As a personal note I want to thank you for all your wonderful help. While others post with their experiences, there is nothing like getting first hand information from a local like yourself who sees the community on a daily basis.

Dubrovniktravelady...Thank you for all your helpful comments. Please excuse me if I repeat some questions--I haven't had a chance to read all of your postings. We will be visiting Dubrovnik on Wednesday, Oct 24th. We will be on the Wind Surf. Do you know where it will dock? maybe Old Town port? How far is that from the entrance to the walled city?

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Dubrovniktravelady...Thank you for all your helpful comments. Please excuse me if I repeat some questions--I haven't had a chance to read all of your postings. We will be visiting Dubrovnik on Wednesday, Oct 24th. We will be on the Wind Surf. Do you know where it will dock? maybe Old Town port? How far is that from the entrance to the walled city?

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Windsurf normally is at anchor next to the old port which we call Porporela. This will mean you will tender in and be a few steps from the inner part of the city wall. That being said, this could change if our high winds are blowing and the ship is moved to the Gruz harbor. Your arrival is late October, weather that day will be the deciding factor.

We arrive in Dubrovnik on November 30 this year. What will be open and available to visit? The weather will most likely be ??????? Thanks for any suggestions to enhance our visit.

End of November our weather is normally cold and sunset will occur about 4:00pm. There is the possibility of rain and high winds, do bring winter clothing. Hours for our historical and cultural sites are limited, most are open from 9am until 3pm, daily.

End of November our weather is normally cold and sunset will occur about 4:00pm. There is the possibility of rain and high winds, do bring winter clothing. Hours for our historical and cultural sites are limited, most are open from 9am until 3pm, daily.

Thanks so much for the response. Will stores all be open for shopping? Restaurants?

Many shops and most of the restaurants with outdoor seating close down on 01 November for the winter hibernation. You will find a some shops and a few restaurants open, but not a great many choices.

This is so disappointing as we will be in Dubrovnik on November 2nd next year!!

I'm sure we will have a nice time anyway ~ the pictures look beautiful and my husband is excited to see where some of the King's Landing was filmed!

This is so disappointing as we will be in Dubrovnik on November 2nd next year!!

I'm sure we will have a nice time anyway ~ the pictures look beautiful and my husband is excited to see where some of the King's Landing was filmed!

Perhaps by next year the season may be extended, much is decided by our weather.

The town is still crowded with land guests, many more bus tourists still arriving.

We will be arriving in 1 week! Oct. 1 is a Sunday and there will be 10,000 tourists that day. I would love to visit the Franciscan monastery pharmacy. Will it be open on Sunday and where is it located? Thank you so much for your info.

We will be arriving in 1 week! Oct. 1 is a Sunday and there will be 10,000 tourists that day. I would love to visit the Franciscan monastery pharmacy. Will it be open on Sunday and where is it located? Thank you so much for your info.

Everything is open on Sunday, with the exceptions of a few privately owned shops. Below is the tourist bureau website for the town of Dubrovnik. This will help you get a feel for the area. It is 2 pages with a large view of the old town with all of the historical sites shown. Enjoy your day here.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf