Hiking in Skagway -- how safe? (bears in May?)

teege

I'm definitely concerned about bears. I'll be going in late May (I think we're there ~29th) with my fiance. I guess if we went on these trails it would be the two of us at least for the most part.

Do we have anything to worry about? Mostly I'm wondering about bears? In all seriousness, how many people are killed by bears in the area? And if we're smart about the hike (ie, follow basically what you're supposed to do if you see a bear). We're not the most outdoorsy people but think we would enjoy it.

There are bears in Skagway, mostly black bears however. Encountering them is rare from my experience and near impossible if you are on the local established trails such as lower lake etc. I have never heard of anyone being bitten or killed in Skagway by bears (or any other animal). If you have bear bells on, take bear spray and are not packing food I can't imagine how small the chance is of having a problem. If you want, stop in the National Park Service office where a ranger can talk to you about recent bear sightings etc.

On an average day, you'll be in the company of many hikers on the local trails.

There are bears in Skagway, mostly black bears however. Encountering them is rare from my experience and near impossible if you are on the local established trails such as lower lake etc. I have never heard of anyone being bitten or killed in Skagway by bears (or any other animal). If you have bear bells on, take bear spray and are not packing food I can't imagine how small the chance is of having a problem. If you want, stop in the National Park Service office where a ranger can talk to you about recent bear sightings etc.

On an average day, you'll be in the company of many hikers on the local trails.

Just a quick follow up:

1) Yes, I'm referring to a trail like lower lake + sturgills landing.

2) Would most people have bear bells? Is this something a NPS ranger can give me?

3) When you say we'll be in the company of others hiking, are you assuming this is some sort of organized tour? Or are they just generally somewhat crowded/commonly traveled?

Just a quick follow up:

1) Yes, I'm referring to a trail like lower lake + sturgills landing.

2) Would most people have bear bells? Is this something a NPS ranger can give me?

3) When you say we'll be in the company of others hiking, are you assuming this is some sort of organized tour? Or are they just generally somewhat crowded/commonly traveled?

We had considered using the train as a trailhead stop and hiking independently to Laughton glacier, but heard snowshoes would probably be reqd late May (we're also traveling week of 5/23). I did hear of someone from these boards having a stand-off with an adult moose while doing some independent hiking, forget which trail she said, it was a funny story though she said she'd hiked too far to back down, but the moose didn't want to get off the trail either ... finally, after a long stand off, the moose moved on.

I know their are guided tours that use Laughton trail too, not sure how early in the season, but you may run into guided tours. Also parks dept offers free guided tours at many areas.

Archived