We were wanting to do the Torguero Canal Excursion, but we would

like to use a private tour operator instead of the ships. We were

wondering which one is best and is the safest. We dont want to be

on a boat on the canal that is not safe and secure. I dont think I

want too much of a close-up with the crocs. So which is the best

way to go? We have 12 hrs in Costa Rica and feel a private tour

may be alright but do they have the safe boats? :rolleyes:

We booked a private tour through Oscarbrowntours.com

We had an excellent tour with Lorenzo through Oscar Brown Tours.

They have many tours to choose from that will fit your needs.

We highly recommend them. And, yes, the boats that they use on the canal are very safe!:)

• 1 month later...

It is not like the canal is full of crocs. We saw 1 maybe 2 in an hour +. It is a very nice tour but do not get your hopes up about seeing tons of wild life. You will see a few iguanas and birds, some monkeys and sloths. The boats are safe while some may seem small, they are all motorized and equipped with safety jackets. I'd suggest going to the canal early in the day to see more wild life and do the remaining things like beach, high point, banana plantation etc. later.

• 4 months later...
It is not like the canal is full of crocs. We saw 1 maybe 2 in an hour +. It is a very nice tour but do not get your hopes up about seeing tons of wild life. You will see a few iguanas and birds, some monkeys and sloths. The boats are safe while some may seem small, they are all motorized and equipped with safety jackets. I'd suggest going to the canal early in the day to see more wild life and do the remaining things like beach, high point, banana plantation etc. later.

How long is the boat ride?

I'm also looking for info as Odyssey tours never responded to my inquiry and doesn't post costs.

We will be in Costa Rica from 7 to 3, so I don't want too long a tour.

I booked with Charlie Soto of Okey Dokey tours. He responded promptly. The cost for this tour was $59 pp. We also will be in Costa Rica from 7-3 and Charlie assured me that we would be back to the dock by 2:00 in plenty of time to get on board.

I booked with Charlie Soto of Okey Dokey tours. He responded promptly. The cost for this tour was $59 pp. We also will be in Costa Rica from 7-3 and Charlie assured me that we would be back to the dock by 2:00 in plenty of time to get on board.

HAL charges $69-worth the extra $10 not to worry for me.

How long was the boat ride?

What we've seen on ship excursions vs. private ones that the tours can be adjusted to the group. On the ship excursion last year in Panama, there were three bus loads of us that got on the train. It was fine, but if we wanted to stop, no way.

When we booked with an independent tour guide, they actually asked what we wanted to do. As our group of 8, we just met at the dock, lived near beaches, we didn't have a desire to spend as much time on the beach, so we stopped and looked at it, took a few pics and then had more time for other sites.

It really is an individual choice. There are some ports I'd never go off alone or even with an independent guide unless I'd done my research, but in the longer established ports with time for independents to get a godd rep, I say consider the benefits of smaller groups.

Just got back. Let me clarify that all of the independents are taking you there and then you get a boat that they have arranged. Our guide from okee dokey did not go but separte canal driver. They are all about the same one hr. We had just the two of us in the canal boat and they are all safe. THe crocs are furthur up near the lodges so dont worry probably none to see, From the pier they were getting 40pp to take you their and the canal trip. I was surprised all of the independent tours right off the ship,

Archived