Victoria Pre-Cruise Question

We are trying to put together our cruise for next year. We have not booked anything yet....still trying to sort out the logistics. Does anyone see big problems with the following plan? We will probably cruise with Celebrity Cruises.

We plan to fly into Victoria, rent a car at the airport, stay two nights in Victoria, and then get the 9:00 a.m. ferry back to Vancouver the day the cruise departs. Expect to disembark the ferry around 10:35 a.m., drive into Vancouver, return the rental car, get taxi to the cruise terminal (either Canada Place or Ballantyne) and get on board the ship no later than 1:00 p.m. Does this sound at all feasible? I don't know what the traffic is like from the ferry into downtown Vancouver and whether this will take far longer than we hope. What kind of boarding times are people encountering? Can anyone offer any advice in this regard?

It sounds doable to me, one can't say what the traffic will be like on any given day but mid-morning won't be as bad as the early morning rush. I would definitely get a reservation on the 9:00 a.m. ferry so you are sure to be onboard that one. You can do that online with the link below; although it's probably too early to book for next year. Drive from ferry terminal (Tswassen) to downtown is about 45 minutes; so even with any delays, you should be onboard around 1:00 p.m.

http://www.bcferries.com/

Don't know about your budget, but taking your rental car into Vancouver just to drop it off can be a bit pricey. If you can arrange to drop your car in Downtown Victoria, then you can hop on the PCL bus which brings you all the way into Vancouver and it's a short taxi over to the cruise terminal. Way less hassle and a lot fewer $$$. If you don't know your way around Vancouver, letting someone else get you into the core is a real benefit. They, as well, are always on time!

Mike

Paul Gauguin 2004, 2007

Is there any particular reason why you're renting a car for your 2 days in Victoria? Were you planning on travelling on Vancouver Island? I'm only asking because, if you were mostly staying in the Victoria area I'd suggest not having a car at all.

Cost-wise, I'm thinking that the car for 3 days will probably be in the area of $150. Parking in Victoria will be around $20/day. The Ferry will set you back $50'ish for the car, $15'ish per adult. So, you're in the area of $300 for the 3 days. I haven't checked the float plane fares from Victoria Harbour to Vancouver Harbour but, from Nanaimo, it's $80 per adult/$40 per child. That's with Harbour Air.

So, unless you are really going to be using that car, I would think that taking a taxi into Victoria, then on cruise departure morning a float plane from Victoria to Vancouver Harbour (not Vancouver Airport) plus a very, very short taxi to the cruise pier - would all be much less cost and stress.

If you ARE going to be travelling a lot in those 2 days and need a car, though....well....that's a whole 'nother story. Over to others with Swartz Bay-Tswassessen (sp?) ferry experience. Mine's all Departure Bay/Duke Point to Horseshoe Bay/Tswassessen. I also have no experience with returning rental cars in Vancouver.

Thanks for your comments. You have given us something to think about. Reasoning for car rental: Flexibility in getting around...... Fly in, arrive around 11:15 a.m., get car and drive into Victoria. After checking into hotel we have time for afternoon sightseeing. The next day we plan to see Royal British Museum, Empress Hotel, waterfront, etc. and then drive up to Butchart Gardens in the afternoon and then drive back to hotel in early evening. Next morning we would get on ferry to Vancouver per original post. If we don't have a car we need to arrange transport from airport to hotel; arrange transport to Butchart, etc.

By the way, I will Google it, but what is the PCL bus?

If we can do all the things we want without renting a car, that would be great. It is just that we have a limited amount of time in Victoria and want to see as much as we can in the time we have.

I believe PCL is Pacific Coach Lines. They run bus service from Victoria to Vancouver. That should help you look things up.

I guess being someone who doesn't like driving anywhere too unfamiliar, I always try to find any way to get around besides driving. I know a lot of people are much more confident. Having your own transport sure does give you maximum flexibility.

Having said that, though, the only thing you're really going to use it for, it seems, is to get from the airport to town and then to Butchart Gardens. Taxis are plentiful at the Airport (no need to "arrange") and bus service (either a tour or city) is frequent to Butchart. Other than that, Victoria is truly a very walkable city, i.e. you won't be taking taxis or arranging transport there at all I would think, even if you had limited mobility. A car is pretty much a liability in town. Of course, depending on budget, you could always take a taxi to and from the Gardens. I think you'd still come out ahead cost-wise vs. hiring a car one-way Victoria/Vancouver.

There I go again, picturing myself in Seattle or another unfamiliar city, trying to find my rental car drop-off location......fretting about being late for my cruise......sorry my worry-wart side just won't quit. I totally agree with the poster who said you need to book your ferry in advance. If you do chose to do the rental car/ferry thing, make sure you reserve a spot. Otherwise you could very well face a one or two ferry wait and be waving good-bye to your cruise ship from the ferry dock at Swartz Bay!

Great choices of Victoria highlights, by the way. I love the Museum! I haven't been on a Victoria Whale Watch but, I hear they have a high-success rate when it comes to sightings. Last time I saw a whale it was at water level, in a kayak, up-Island at Telegraph Cove....now THAT's an experience worth getting out of Victoria for....:)

Doable for sure and I think the flexability on the Island with a rental is a good idea.

Dropping the car on the island and going PCL is also a good option. Bus is first on and first off the ferry and you don't have to make any reservations other than getting a bus ticket.

My suggestion, FWIW.

Option 1. Return the car in downtown Victoria, assuming you are renting from a major

with a downtown location. Most are near or will drop you at the bus terminal. Reserve

seats on the Cruise Ship bus for the ferry.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Schedule/Cruiseship

Cost is CAD48.00 each. This will get you to the cruise ship about 2:00PM.

If you are on Celebrity, this will likely be Ballantyne Pier, not the Cruise Ship Terminal.

(Compare cost with drop-off charge in Vancouver + ferry fare + taxi from drop-off to

Ballantyne Pier)

Option 2. Return car to Victoria Airport, then taxi to Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Drag bags

into terminal, tag for cruise ship bus, shoot them down the rollers, board the ferry, check

with the bus driver after departure for tickets. Cost about the same, depending on whether

you get charged for downtown rental car drop-off in Victoria.

The current fare for a car and 2 people on the ferry, one-way from Swartz Bay to

Tsawwassen is CAD72.00 and could be more in 2010.

You don't need a car in Victoria. You can get to everything you want (except Butchart's) by walking. There is lots of public transport options to get to Butchart's; or take a taxi. Catch the Pacific Coach Lines bus right downtown in Victoria and get off it in downtown Vancouver; cab it to the port. Alternatively I do believe you can catch the PCL bus from downtown to the port in Vancouver.

Archived