Mexico Port Tax return Radiance May 6, 8 & 9

On the April 26 - May11 Radiance Valparaiso to San Diego cruise, three ports in Mexico were canceled due to the swine flu and passengers were told the port taxes would be returned. Friends of ours were credited $40 p/p on their shipboard account but we were not. The on board Customer services desk told us to call the RCI Corporate office upon returning home, which we did. They told us no such return would be made. Have any of you Cruise Critic board readers experienced refund or no refund for these missed ports?

On the April 26 - May11 Radiance Valparaiso to San Diego cruise, three ports in Mexico were canceled due to the swine flu and passengers were told the port taxes would be returned. Friends of ours were credited $40 p/p on their shipboard account but we were not. The on board Customer services desk told us to call the RCI Corporate office upon returning home, which we did. They told us no such return would be made. Have any of you Cruise Critic board readers experienced refund or no refund for these missed ports?

If you didn't go to Mexico, they can't charge you the Mexican port charges. I suggest you speak to a supervisor.

We were on the Radiance cruise and we received $31 pp refund.

On the night before we arrived in San Diego we received a letter from RCI. This is what it said :-

Dear Guest,

Due to the missed ports of Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San lucas on May 6th, May 8th and May 9th, all guests will be refunded the port tax for those particular ports of call. The amount refunded is based on the rate used upon booking of your cruise vacation. The port tax refund will be shown as a a credit on your Sea pass account the day before arrival in San Diego, California.

That credit may be applied to any onboard purchases and any unused amount will be refunded to you.

We regret any inconvenience this might have caused you and we appreciate your understanding regarding this unfortunate event which was beyond our control.

Guest Services.

It does say ALL guests. Have you checked your on board account statement to verify that it wasn't posted?

We got $2.31 each. As I was standing line to dispue mini bar charges I saw that others received anywhere from 32 cents to $30. I also was told to call "Customer Service". I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list.

We were on the April 26th 15 day Radiance cruise also and received $53.90pp back in taxes and fees. We booked this cruise August 30, 2007.

The way it was explained to us is that if you book a cruise when it is first made available, the port taxes and fees are at their highest and once you put a deposit down you are locked into that fee. If it goes up, you do not get charged more. If it goes down you will get a refund of the difference from what you paid at booking to what was paid at the time of sailing. Of course, when you don't visit a scheduled port, then you should be refunded what you are entitled to.

Now, everyone had to pay taxes and fees..........so why some did not get a refund is a mystery to me. I would pursue it by calling Executive Offices of Customer Service at 1-888-767-4644 until you get an answer. Have your final invoice and booking number at hand.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I were on the April 26-May 11, 2009 sailing of the Radiance as well. We did not get the refund promised, and I was told by corporate Customer Relations that because of when we booked, the cabin we were in, and other factors, we were no entitled to any refund. I have written to the California Attorney Gener and the Maritime Commission questioning what we can do next. RCI received a copy of the complaint as well. Let's see if anything come of it. RCI has a reputation for not giving refunds that are due to customers, which is why I stayed away from them for ten years. They haven't changed.

My wife and I were on the April 26-May 11, 2009 sailing of the Radiance as well. We did not get the refund promised, and I was told by corporate Customer Relations that because of when we booked, the cabin we were in, and other factors, we were no entitled to any refund. I have written to the California Attorney Gener and the Maritime Commission questioning what we can do next. RCI received a copy of the complaint as well. Let's see if anything come of it. RCI has a reputation for not giving refunds that are due to customers, which is why I stayed away from them for ten years. They haven't changed.

Miatax . . . . Please keep me posted reguarding any reply you receive.

Brownie

• 3 weeks later...
Miatax . . . . Please keep me posted reguarding any reply you receive.

Brownie

I heard from the California Attorney General's office that they would not become involved in this case. They referred me to the U.S. Maritime Commission, to whom I had aalready sent a complaint. I have not yet heard from the Maritime Commission. Neither have I heard from RCI. I have challenged my AmEx charge and they replied that I should contact RCI's Customer Relations Office. I had done that first, of course, and they won't talk about refunds except to say there will be none. I have not given up.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with RCI Corporate Customer Relations again on June 22 and was told that there were no more refunds for the missed ports on the April 26-May 11 sailing. I was also informed that no one in the entire company could tell me how much tax I paid and where it went! After a lengthy discussion with the agent at RCI, we agreed on a "good will" settlement which appeared on my credit card account three days later. I am satisfied and will withdraw my complaint if contacted by the US Maritime Commission about it. :D

This is the second time this happened to us. Everyone in our group received a refund but us.

We did our best to settle it before leaving the ship to no avail.

Upon returning home, we turned it over to our TA. They did what they could, but got nowhere either. The explanation they received indicated that everyone paid port fees but since some of us didn't pay as much as others in other areas, they made up the difference using our port taxes.

It appears that those of us who did not receive a refund should pursue contacting the US Maritime Commission. According to RCI, there were over 100 of us denied a refund.

How about others? Anyone else manage a refund after being denied?

Jackie

Archived