Major Tom cave tubing

tampacruiser1006

45 min to one hour out to the park

25-30 min walk thru rainforest to the place where you get in the river

30-40 min cave tubing down the river, depending on the current

lunch time while waiting for the zipliners to get back (about 20 min or so)

45 min appx back to the pier

We never felt rushed or panicked about whether we were going to make it back. We had time to do a little shopping and have a Belikin beer before the tender left, and we weren't even the last tender back.

Major Tom was terrific, as was his staff! Chris was our guide. He was great. My husband's tube got a hole in it from hitting a rock, and Chris swapped his out and swam/walked the rest of the way.

We even got the bonus of seeing a howler monkey momma and baby in the tree near the river as we floated by. Awesome experience.

I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Thanks for the reassurance. I can't wait for this excursion!

We never felt rushed or panicked about whether we were going to make it back. We had time to do a little shopping and have a Belikin beer before the tender left, and we weren't even the last tender back.

Major Tom was terrific, as was his staff! Chris was our guide. He was great. My husband's tube got a hole in it from hitting a rock, and Chris swapped his out and swam/walked the rest of the way.

We even got the bonus of seeing a howler monkey momma and baby in the tree near the river as we floated by. Awesome experience.

I would HIGHLY recommend it!

There's no other way but to be honest and ask. Can "seniors" 60+ do this cave tubing?

Unless they have some significant mobility issues, it should not be a problem. My father did it when he was 61. And when we went the second time our friend who is 55 and has some slight issues with balance and back problems managed. Major Tom's guides are great, and will offer to carry tubes for those that need the help. They will go out of their way to make sure everyone has a good experience and is able to participate.

I was thinking of doing this excursion but my sister did a cave tubing excursion in Mexico and said that even though it was blazing hot outside, the water was way too cold while being in the dark caves. She said she was freezing during the entire trip through the water and even took pictures of her blue lips when it ended. She couldn't wait for it to be over. I haven't seen any mention of people being cold in the water while in the dark caves. Any comments would be appreciated!

I was here 2 weks ago and almost died.....the river was high due to heavy rain. We got stucked in a giant whirpool and I stayed 30 seconds underwater....totally unsafe!!!

I was here 2 weks ago and almost died.....the river was high due to heavy rain. We got stucked in a giant whirpool and I stayed 30 seconds underwater....totally unsafe!!!

What ship did you sail on?

Did they make you wear lifejackets?

What did the company say about your ordeal?

Sounds very, very scary!

I was there last week, and the water was cold, but refreshing. Not TOO cold.

I find it interesting that the poster said she was caught in a whirlpool for 30 SECONDS---that is a LONG time, and she would be dead!

Also, there is no place on the tubing path that would produce this kind of whirlpool.

In addition, you are required to wear a life jacket, and are linked by the feet of the person in front and behind you, so there's little risk of the scenario he/she described---and the guide is right there monitoring the entire group. We had nine in our group, and our guide, Chris was talking to us the entire time, going back and forth from the front of our group to the back, and making sure all was well.

I would cave tube again in a heartbeat! It was probably the best excursion I have been on for ANY cruise!

This sounds very strange indeed. Weren't you linked? Didn't you have a life jacket on? Where were the guides. My "kids" are going with Major Tom in 2 weeks, I'm going to send him a note and ask him about this. I just sent one asking about the river conditions, so I'm going to ask him what happened here? Would really like more info. I have 4 "kids" going on this excursion that I booked, so I'm kind of responsible.

When the water is running too high, yes, cave tubing can be dangerous. Google "belize cave tubing death" or see http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2836 .

However, I really doubt that Major Tom would ever, ever take people cave tubing in such conditions.

My experiences in Belize:

The first time my sister and I went cave tubing (and ziplining) in Belize we had to do a ship's tour because she did not make up her mind early enough to let me book through Major Tom before the cruise, as I had suggested. Oh well.

So we took the Princess tour. I was definitely not impressed.

We ziplined first. Having ziplined before in Puerto Vallarta, where we were carefully instructed re: safety, given demos, and accompanied by many guides, the Belize experience (via the Princess tour) was shocking. There were at least a hundred people in a huge line winding up the hill to the first platform, and someone shouted "directions" from far away; no one could hear a thing.

On the second zip, due to miscommunication between the guides, a man was released too soon and his feet slammed into his wife's back, on the next platform; she had not yet been moved out of the way. She fell off the platform and had to be taken to the hospital. (We were there and saw this happen. Horrible.)

On we went to the cave tubing. The river was murky and running high & fast, and I heard that some private excursions had been canceled. But not ours. Our "guide" (the one who came with us on the bus ... not a real river guide) just told us to steer kind of to the right (no one was hooked together or even accompanied) and then we didn't see her again until the bus; my sister and I were the last ones to the takeout point, and our "guide" and all the others were nowhere to be seen. Glad we remembered where the bus was parked & got there in time.

I would never book this tour through the ship again.

However, contrast this to my experience with Major Tom's cave tubing tour the next year:

There were about 10-12 of us, and three guides, including Major Tom himself. The river was clear and just the right speed. We were all linked together, and our guides stayed with us the entire time, pointing out various interesting features of the cave (that we hadn't seen the first time through, of course) and making sure everyone was okay.

We took our time, and stayed together.

It was a marvelous experience, entirely different from the first time.

Afterward, we went to a local open-air restaurant for lunch, where we could order whatever we wanted, and got back to the ship in plenty of time.

This tour did not include ziplining, and to tell the truth, I don't think I'd go ziplining in Belize again. You can find this activity in so many ports nowadays, and it really can make the day seem rushed to try to do both.

(The ziplining in Puerto Vallarta was so amazing, though, maybe that spoiled me for any other place.)

So, for what it's worth, my recommendation is to go with Major Tom, do the cave tubing, and skip the ziplining. The cave tubing is so amazing ... well worth devoting the day to. You can zipline almost anywhere.

hth,

Jan

Jan, Thanks for your details.

I contacted Major Tom about my concerns and he reassured me that safety is his main concern. The tour will stay linked unless the water is very low and completely safe to free float. They must wear life jackets. He explained the woman that died was the result of complete careless on the part of the tour operator and reckless behavior. The woman died of a concussion, not drowning, which he said should Never happen if you are following the rules. He explained his "tourists" must follow the rules or they are "dismissed". He said the river is calm now and great for tubing. I know that could change but he assured me he cancels if there is any danger. I feel very safe with Major Tom and it seems highly unlikely for someone to get sucked into a whirpool. After the response he gave me it actually seems ridiculous. I'm confident my "kids" are going to have a great time with Major Tom.

I have been on a tubing tour before and enjoyed it (in Jamaica). You always have to be careful though, and sometimes accidents happen even with the best precautions (we had 1 man die here in Utah just yesterday floating down a river).

HERE are some great shoes you can wear tubing. Right now they are 2 pairs for $22.50 after coupon code MC25OFF(sign up for their free VIP Club for free shipping HERE). If you only buy one pair of shoes use coupon code SK09ENT for 15% off. I am going on this tour in September and bought those for my kids. They are great pool/beach/water sports shoes and provide enough support for the short hike as well.

50550_BRN.jpg

Is the tubing excursion safe for someone who must keep her ears dry due a a medical condition?

I think it depends on how dry. I read that at one point you will need to cross the river by pullying yourself across on a rope. I would suspect that your ears are going to get wet at some point on river tubing trip. I don't think your head will necessarily go under water, but chances are your head will encounter some water, and I do say this respectfully, I'm not trying to be silly or anything.

Security is not what you think it is.......

I agree that people shouldn't go cave tubing when the water is running fast and high.

However ... Major Tom will not take people on this excursion when this is true.

At least one of the cruise line excursions (Princess) will, as I know from experience.

So it's a good idea to do some research & read some reviews before trying this amazing experience, which is what everyone here is doing.

BUT .... Lou7, I think everyone here would really like to know more details about your recent experience. River conditions? Exactly who were your guides? Was it a ship sponsored excursion? Which ship? Where were the guides; were they with you when this happened? Did you extricate yourself, or were you helped?

There really isn't any need to be so mysterious about your experience; in fact, it may make people doubt that it ever really happened.

If you really want to help people by sharing your actual experiences, I think that you need to be more responsive to the questions many of us have already asked.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that people shouldn't go cave tubing when the water is running fast and high.

However ... Major Tom will not take people on this excursion when this is true.

At least one of the cruise line excursions (Princess) will, as I know from experience.

So it's a good idea to do some research & read some reviews before trying this amazing experience, which is what everyone here is doing.

BUT .... Lou7, I think everyone here would really like to know more details about your recent experience. River conditions? Exactly who were your guides? Was it a ship sponsored excursion? Which ship? Where were the guides; were they with you when this happened? Did you extricate yourself, or were you helped?

There really isn't any need to be so mysterious about your experience; in fact, it may make people doubt that it ever really happened.

If you really want to help people by sharing your actual experiences, I think that you need to be more responsive to the questions many of us have already asked.

Jan

Agreed why don't you post the whole story so people can better prepare. Lou's few posts were exclusively about cave tubing and gave little information. You posted elsewhere it was with a different, but very reputable company as well. I am interested in your feedback, but need more info.

We just did the cave tubing/zip line combo with Major Tom on 7/28. It was me, DH, and DS10. We had a great time on this excursion. They delayed the tendering due to rain at first but then all was well and we were able to go ashore. We were met as soon as we got off the tender boat by a member of Major Tom's crew. After about 1hr bus drive we were at the site. Along the way our guide told us all about Belize--he was very interesting and seemed very proud of his country. We did the zip line first. Since we were the only ship in port, there were no lines for this. We has 9 people and 2 awesome guides for the zip. It was a little scary for me at first but the guides were great and we all had a blast. I think we did 6 or 7 lines and a rappel to the ground at the end.

Then we went back to the bus to change and get ready for the cave tubing. We still had our small group of 9 to our one cave tubing guide--I don't remember his name. We walked maybe 3/4 mile through the rainforest--beautiful. Because we were late getting into port we hiked pretty quickly to the cave. We did one cave and it was much different than I expected--it was awesome. The water was 'refreshing'--not too cold and not too deep--'butts up' only a couple of times though. The current was a little fast in a few spots but I was glad we were linked together. The guide knew just where to go and I certainly would not want to free float in the cave. He even stopped to help out a couple of other tubers who were having a hard time.

After the tubing we changed and got back on the bus. We had ordered the lunch--it was ok but not great. We were hungry so we were glad to have it. We made it back to the port at 345pm in time for the long line to tender back to the ship. I don't think they finished getting all of the passngers back on board until 5pm or so.

All in all this was a great excursion and Major Tom and his group were wonderful guides--very safe but lots of fun.

My bf and I just got back from our Western Caribbean cruise, where we did the cave tubing with Major Tom in Belize on Thursday 8/6. We were very excited about this excursion after reading so many glowing reviews both here and on other sites, but unfortunately our experience was kind of disappointing.

First, Major Tom informed us that the zipline was down (for the foreseeable future, if I heard correctly, so anyone planning to book it soon may want to double check via email to make sure that it will be up when you are there). While we did not sign up for zipline, several others had booked and paid deposits, so were very disappointed and also were told to email after the trip for a refund rather than receiving it right away. I felt bad for them, but also was hoping that this would mean more shopping time at the end - Major Tom's website states that tour groups will be back "in good time, comfortably, and with some shopping time" but I had read in several reviews that cave-tube-only folks were usually stuck waiting around for zipline folks.

The bus ride there was good - unlike others that I've read, our bus had both AC and a functioning mic, so there was not an issue of not being able to hear. In fact, one of our guides was so loud in the mic that it bordered on painful for my ears. Both guides gave decent information during the ride.

We made 1 stop at a small store (15 mins), where our guides encouraged everyone to purchase snacks and drinks and "water for the hike." 5 minutes later we arrive at the park. 5 minutes after that, those water bottles are confiscated from us - nothing is allowed in the hike/cave areas because of concerns about litter. Hmmm.

At this point, things really start to get interesting. We stand at the entrance with our gear, waiting, as tour group after tour group from other vendors pass us by. Apparently, park safety guidelines require at least 1 guide for every 10 people. However, we had been sent with only 2 guides for our group of 29 and thus could not even enter.

After a while, another guide is found (I assume so, anyway, as one was not introduced to us) and we begin the hike. But then hit another snag... one lady in the group (who is older, and a large woman) only wants to do the tubing and not the hike - she says she had emailed about this beforehand and was told that it was ok. The guides seem stumped, and the rest of the group is left waiting once again as they attempt to sort this. More groups pass us by.

When we finally get going again, the hike itself is quite disappointing. Our group is large and becomes spread out, and while I tried hard to keep up with our guide to hear what he is saying, he is mostly silent throughout. The few times he does try to explain something, it is usually while walking, and with such a soft voice that only someone standing directly next to him might be able to hear. We see termites but our guide does not offer for us to try them, as we read that others have done.

At the water, we split into smaller groups to link up - this takes quite a bit of time, and we end up in a link of 11 plus our guide. We tube through 1 cave (not 2 as stated on the website) then down the river back to the starting point. The cave itself is quite interesting to see, and the water is not as cold as I had feared. We don't stop to swim and jump off the rock as it is getting quite late at this point.

We are the last group back to the buses. There, we pick up boxed lunches for those who ordered them (rice & beans, a little cole slaw, 1 piece of chicken, bottled juice - good but nowhere near as tasty as we expected from others' reviews) and eat on the bus ride back. Many are worried about the time but the guides assure us we will be ok. We arrive at the dock 1 minute before our ship's last scheduled tender. One gentleman was from another ship whose last tender was 30 minutes prior - I'm not sure what ended up happening with him but I hope Major Tom took care of him as promised. Obviously there was no time for anyone to even think of shopping.

Overall, our excursion was successful as we did get to do the cave tubing and returned safely to our ship, but I am not very impressed with this company. I can accept that not everything can always go as planned, but IMO the planning here was poor. Surely if they do these tours every day, they should be well aware of the guidelines, and should not have sent 2 guides for 29 people in the first place. And if a guest has emailed about special needs, seems like they should be prepared for that beforehand, rather than scrambling at the last minute. Not to mention the stop at the store... considering how close it was to the park, and what happened to all of the water bottles we purchased "for the hike", I have a suspicion that this was some sort of side deal, rather than being for the convenience of the guests...

And on top of all of that, it seemed like the guide we got this time was not as good as most of Major Tom's. :(

Sorry for the very long post, but I thought others might be interested in hearing our experience.

My DS and friends are booked with Major Tom, I requested zip line and cave tube. Thanks to worshipsf I had a heads up the zip line may not be functioning. I contacted Major Tom and indeed the zip line is not functioning and is being moved to a location closer to cave tubing so things are not so spread out. Less waiting. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm glad I found out though since I gave my DS and friends the warning so they won't be disappointed tomorrow. I do find it odd people gave a deposit. We have not given him anything. He confirmed the reservation and told me they would pay in full at the time of the excursion. So, they will now just pay for the cave tubing. I have actually been pestering the heck out of Major Tom, being an overly worried mom and he has been so nice. He replies very promptly usually the same day or the next at latest. His responses are friendly, professional and most importantly seem very sensible. Hopefully the "kids" will enjoy the cave tubing tomorrow.

My bf and I just got back from our Western Caribbean cruise, where we did the cave tubing with Major Tom in Belize on Thursday 8/6. We were very excited about this excursion after reading so many glowing reviews both here and on other sites, but unfortunately our experience was kind of disappointing.

First, Major Tom informed us that the zipline was down (for the foreseeable future, if I heard correctly, so anyone planning to book it soon may want to double check via email to make sure that it will be up when you are there). While we did not sign up for zipline, several others had booked and paid deposits, so were very disappointed and also were told to email after the trip for a refund rather than receiving it right away. I felt bad for them, but also was hoping that this would mean more shopping time at the end - Major Tom's website states that tour groups will be back "in good time, comfortably, and with some shopping time" but I had read in several reviews that cave-tube-only folks were usually stuck waiting around for zipline folks.

The bus ride there was good - unlike others that I've read, our bus had both AC and a functioning mic, so there was not an issue of not being able to hear. In fact, one of our guides was so loud in the mic that it bordered on painful for my ears. Both guides gave decent information during the ride.

We made 1 stop at a small store (15 mins), where our guides encouraged everyone to purchase snacks and drinks and "water for the hike." 5 minutes later we arrive at the park. 5 minutes after that, those water bottles are confiscated from us - nothing is allowed in the hike/cave areas because of concerns about litter. Hmmm.

At this point, things really start to get interesting. We stand at the entrance with our gear, waiting, as tour group after tour group from other vendors pass us by. Apparently, park safety guidelines require at least 1 guide for every 10 people. However, we had been sent with only 2 guides for our group of 29 and thus could not even enter.

After a while, another guide is found (I assume so, anyway, as one was not introduced to us) and we begin the hike. But then hit another snag... one lady in the group (who is older, and a large woman) only wants to do the tubing and not the hike - she says she had emailed about this beforehand and was told that it was ok. The guides seem stumped, and the rest of the group is left waiting once again as they attempt to sort this. More groups pass us by.

When we finally get going again, the hike itself is quite disappointing. Our group is large and becomes spread out, and while I tried hard to keep up with our guide to hear what he is saying, he is mostly silent throughout. The few times he does try to explain something, it is usually while walking, and with such a soft voice that only someone standing directly next to him might be able to hear. We see termites but our guide does not offer for us to try them, as we read that others have done.

At the water, we split into smaller groups to link up - this takes quite a bit of time, and we end up in a link of 11 plus our guide. We tube through 1 cave (not 2 as stated on the website) then down the river back to the starting point. The cave itself is quite interesting to see, and the water is not as cold as I had feared. We don't stop to swim and jump off the rock as it is getting quite late at this point.

We are the last group back to the buses. There, we pick up boxed lunches for those who ordered them (rice & beans, a little cole slaw, 1 piece of chicken, bottled juice - good but nowhere near as tasty as we expected from others' reviews) and eat on the bus ride back. Many are worried about the time but the guides assure us we will be ok. We arrive at the dock 1 minute before our ship's last scheduled tender. One gentleman was from another ship whose last tender was 30 minutes prior - I'm not sure what ended up happening with him but I hope Major Tom took care of him as promised. Obviously there was no time for anyone to even think of shopping.

Overall, our excursion was successful as we did get to do the cave tubing and returned safely to our ship, but I am not very impressed with this company. I can accept that not everything can always go as planned, but IMO the planning here was poor. Surely if they do these tours every day, they should be well aware of the guidelines, and should not have sent 2 guides for 29 people in the first place. And if a guest has emailed about special needs, seems like they should be prepared for that beforehand, rather than scrambling at the last minute. Not to mention the stop at the store... considering how close it was to the park, and what happened to all of the water bottles we purchased "for the hike", I have a suspicion that this was some sort of side deal, rather than being for the convenience of the guests...

And on top of all of that, it seemed like the guide we got this time was not as good as most of Major Tom's. :(

Sorry for the very long post, but I thought others might be interested in hearing our experience.

I'm so sorry you didn't have a better experience. We'll be there in a few weeks and will certainly be prepared for anything. I definitely do not want to cut it close getting back to the ship.

Archived