venice connected card

I am traveling to venice next week and will be taking a water taxi to my hotel. I wish to buy a vaporetta pass for local transport and begin its use the next afternoon. Does the time period of the pass begin when you pick it up at the airport or when you first use it?

I finally got my pass purchased after multiple tries with different credit cards. I di much research of their site. You can pick them up at multiple locations including the railway station St. Lucia right in the heart of Venice. Go check the site out veniceconnected.com it will show you all the pickup locations as well as answer most other questions you may have. If you purchase it far enough in advance you get a discount too!!! Yay.

• 2 weeks later...

We had purchased this card pre trip and found that it was a huge waste of money. First of all the terminal is difficult to get to from the port, the lines are long to get your pass verified and secondly it is much easier to buy a daily ticket from a Vaparetto Terminal within yards from the ship.

Forget paying for the washroom passes, half of the "Water Closets" didn't accept it.

We are having major problems buying from Venice Connect on-line from the U.S. using two different VISA cards. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Yes, I have tried several times. I tried a Visa and a Mastercard, and on all occasions, it wouldn't go through. If it's this difficult to purchase, it may be difficult to pick up, too. I think that I am going to wait until I get to Venice. Does anyone know of a different website that sells the card?

We didn't have any problems with the purchase, you may want to call the credit card company and make sure they know you are trying to do charge from Italy, your credit card may have international charges turned off. We didn't have any problems at all picking up the card, we dropped off a rental car in Piazza Roma, went to the vaporetto ticket area and there was a line just for those whe had pre-bought the passes. The passes were activated as we picked them up. We did get a discount for our dates since we were able to buy them online over 14 days before picking up our tickets.

Karen, are you talking about the Venice Card instead? The new Venice Connected is different.

The veniceconnected.com site is only worthwhile if you can buy your tickets over 14 days in advance. If you are less than 14 days away, just as weasy to buy your vaporetto passes when you get there.

NPARMELEE, thanks for your reply. I did check with my card company and there was no block. They cite the inability of some foreign web site authorization systems to interface with the more advanced American systems, an inability to rapidly process authorizations in real time. We did finally get it done with another card, Heaven knows why that one worked, but it did. Things are difficult at times even in the era of high tech.

Archived