early departure from ship

flowerboy

Has anybody disembark from the ship a day or two early. I know I will pay full fare and there are maritime laws. Can I disembark a ship in Bergen Norway or not? Cunard was no help told I would have to book and then find out. Thanks

Well, your not a prisoner, you can the ship anytime you want too, as long as your not at sea lol

This is not entirely true. In USA for example, it is against the law to embark and disembark in different states unless you have visited a distant foreign port during your cruise.

While you are not prisonner, you will have to pay a fine if you disembark along the way.

I don't know Europe's regulations about this though.

Well, your not a prisoner, you can the ship anytime you want too, as long as your not at sea lol

Not necessarily, or at least not legally. Don't forget that the Jones Act applies to non US flagged ships going from one US port to another save via a foreign country. Hence why QV will stop in Mexico in 2011 when she goes to Hawaii.

The example I cited was someone who embarked in the UK and disembarked in, I think, Naples.

This is not entirely true. In USA for example, it is against the law to embark and disembark in different states unless you have visited a distant foreign port during your cruise.

Actually, it's even more strict. Round trips from the SAME place in the U.S. would also be covered. Unless you are U.S. flagged, of course. It does beg the question of trips to nowhere, such as last August's 2night/3 day HAL Eurodam New York Introduction, which went to international waters, but did not go to any other ports, which I guess is the key - it did not go to ANY foreign ports.

Non the less, many people do have to leave the ship early for various reasons, so it must be allowed, easy option here is to be late back from a private tour, the ship will leave without YOU, so you are free to go home lol. minus bags though

Non the less, many people do have to leave the ship early for various reasons, so it must be allowed, easy option here is to be late back from a private tour, the ship will leave without YOU, so you are free to go home lol. minus bags though

Yes, people do disembark prematurely for emergency purposes (or beyond emergency, if you will), but this is all coordinated through the ship's administration.

Lest someone think that, so long as they take their luggage (which would be rather obvious, I should think for all but the lightest travelers) they would be free and clear to just "fail to return from excursion", if the company got wind someone did this intentionally, it could likely make a claim for damages resulting from any actions taken to wait for the no shows, such as fines from the local authorities for failing to depart in a timely manner, late arrival at a subsequent port perhaps resulting in more fines or canceled shore excursions, and lost bar revenue from the passengers queuing at the Front Desk to complain about the delay.:D

I would caution that the above poster's suggested course of action be taken solely as "humor." If you want to get off early, do arrange it through the ship. It can be done (I've witnessed it), but immigration authorities might need to be on hand and there may be fees associated with this.

Yes, people do disembark prematurely for emergency purposes (or beyond emergency, if you will), but this is all coordinated through the ship's administration.

Lest someone think that, so long as they take their luggage (which would be rather obvious, I should think for all but the lightest travelers) they would be free and clear to just "fail to return from excursion", if the company got wind someone did this intentionally, it could likely make a claim for damages resulting from any actions taken to wait for the no shows, such as fines from the local authorities for failing to depart in a timely manner, late arrival at a subsequent port perhaps resulting in more fines or canceled shore excursions, and lost bar revenue from the passengers queuing at the Front Desk to complain about the delay.:D

I would caution that the above poster's suggested course of action be taken solely as "humor." If you want to get off early, do arrange it through the ship. It can be done (I've witnessed it), but immigration authorities might need to be on hand and there may be fees associated with this.

Michael, my friend, it was a joke :eek: lol.

but then Id just jump and swim for it hee hee

Actually, it's even more strict. Round trips from the SAME place in the U.S. would also be covered. Unless you are U.S. flagged, of course. It does beg the question of trips to nowhere, such as last August's 2night/3 day HAL Eurodam New York Introduction, which went to international waters, but did not go to any other ports, which I guess is the key - it did not go to ANY foreign ports.

No it didn't transport you anywhere you started and stopped at the same place without stopping anywhere-going beyond the territorial waters is irrelevant. If a non US flagged ships starts at a US port and stops anywhere it must visit at least one nearby foreign port and return to the same US port(it can stop at other US ports as long as the passengers return to the point of origin)- nearby foreign ports are any port in Canada Mexico, Central America,the Caribbean and Bermuda. Any thing else is a distant foreign port. You Can start at one US Port and return to different US port if there is a stop at a distant foreign port. Starting or ending at a foreign port is ok to Its the transporting getting on and permanently off at different US ports that is the issue. (FYI PR and VI are considered foreign ports or otherwise exempt and the ABC islands are considered part of South America.)

But this has nothing to do with what the original poster asked since Bergen is not a US port.

BTW this is called Coast wise trading(for goods its called Cabotage) and many countries have similar laws ask the cruiseline. The US fine for violating the Passenger Vessel Services Act(sometimes incorrectly called the Jones Act-which applies to goods so transported) is $300 per person. What the Coast Guard considers an emergency and waives the fine is pretty narrow. I have been informed that if you die and violate the rule the fine is still imposed! (ah bureaucrats)

The request has to be made in writing via fax. It's called "down-streaming".

I've done it frequently for my clients. Either getting off early, or boarding at a later port.

The request has to be made in writing via fax. It's called "down-streaming".

I've done it frequently for my clients. Either getting off early, or boarding at a later port.

Babette,

Have they ever declined such a request? Just a "To Whom it May Concern" fax to the res line? That’s a great bit of info, thanks!

JP

Babette,

Have they ever declined such a request? Just a "To Whom it May Concern" fax to the res line? That’s a great bit of info, thanks!

JP

I've never been refused because I make sure my clients will be in accordance with all legalities.

No, it is not a to whom it may concern. Rez has nothing to do with it.

Archived