What is there to do... Close to Canada Place???

Mercury docks at 7:00am at Canada Place...our flight to Calgary, AB is at 3:00pm...do we have time to walk around the downtown area a bit or should we just go to the airport?

I've read on the CC boards that a baggage storage area is available right at the terminal so thought we might be able to wander some but we don't have any Vancouver City knowledge! :eek:

We'd love to do Granville Island...how far...taxi cost...do we have enough time to try this?... OR... is there a Mall or something neat to do... close to Canada Place?

Hope some homegrown Vancouverites or well informed cruisers can share some downtown Vancouver City info with us.:D

Pat :)

The Mercury docks at Ballantyne pier. You could spend the $10 taxi ride and come back downtown and go to Pacific Center mall or Robson St. Granville Island will be about $15. If I were you, I would go to the airport and check my baggage and take the Richmond Inn or Richmond Marriott shuttle and go to Richmond Center mall. The mall is across the street from these hotels.

Going all the way to the airport to check your luggage & then back to downtown will eat up a lot of time. See if the ship offers a tour which ends at the airport ...

Or take a cab to Canada Place the other crusie ship dock and the location of the luggage storage facility (cost will be under $10. probably) stash your bags and then exit the Canada Place erminal. You are ajacent to Gas Town -

I would do the following:

1) Walk 2 blocks (to the left) to the start of Gas Town & the Harbor Centre Tower http://www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a birds eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant.

2) Leaving the tower continue into the heart of Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

3) I would probably garb a cab for the 6 block ride from Gas Town to China Town only becuase you are not in the best part of Vancouver...China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town and is the largest China Town north of San Francisco. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens http://www.classicalchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

I think by now you will be out of time and you will have to grab a cab back to Canada Place for your luggage then head to the airport.

An alternative to the above is to again stash your bags at Canada Place then take a cab to Stanley Park where in the summer there is a free bus that circles the park. Stanley Park – http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection near the Brockton Point Light House, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, petting zoo, aquarium –http://www.vanaqua.org – many view points, and several restaurants. During the summer months there is a free shuttle bus that you can ride around the park on.

Hope this helps

BC Happy Girl - don't believe that the free shuttle is running this year - seems that the Parks Board is short of money and wasn't willing to provide the subsidy needed for this service - wonder if that means that the parking rates in the park during the summer will be cheaper because the extra revenue generated is suppose to help defray the cost of the free bus.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived