Help me decide which harness - Minnie or plain

cruzzza

I am less than a month from my cruise date and still can't decide on which type of harness to get for DD. She is 2 and I am absolutely using one, so please don't get into the debate about that. I am just having trouble deciding on which one to get. I have a small one that is just a wrist strap, but I am only using that one as a backup to have with me all the time. For her main one, I am looking at a Minnie Mouse one that is like those monkey and dog ones at Wal Mart and Target that are so common. It's a stuffed animal backpack that is fairly large. Then there's the plain pink one that just has straps. At first, I was thinking I'd just use the plain one, so she could get in and out of the stroller without taking it off. Now, I'm having second thoughts. I was considering how much I'd actually use the stroller once we board. I'm thinking that she'll probably walk most of the time. So, she might enjoy a Minnie one. Issues with that are if she wants to sit in a chair or something, then I might have to take it off and I don't want to be constantly taking it on and off. Also, Minnie is double the price of the plain one, but it's really cute and she LOVES Mickey and Minnie right now.

I have racked my brain trying to decide, so I was hoping for some external opinions to help me make up my mind.

MINNIE! How could this even be a question???:D

We got ours at walmart. Walmart sells a bunny or a monkey for $10.

We love ours. It gives DS the feel of freedom and us the feeling of safety that he cant get lost, run away, etc. I could not imagine what we would do without it!

I know everyone thinks how cute the Minnie thing is, but it really is a hassle having a backpack type thing on your toddlers back. We tried the one with the puppy from Target on our cruise last year and my grandson absolutely hated it. (He was 14 mos at the time). We are heading out next week on his second cruise and have a plain one that we have used at the larger malls when shopping. He is now 22 mos. He does not mind it, it is easy to get in and out of the stroller, and it is just sooooo much easier than the one with the animal on it.

We plan on using the strap and stroller both when we are on and off the ship. Just my opinion.

I know everyone thinks how cute the Minnie thing is, but it really is a hassle having a backpack type thing on your toddlers back. We tried the one with the puppy from Target on our cruise last year and my grandson absolutely hated it. (He was 14 mos at the time). We are heading out next week on his second cruise and have a plain one that we have used at the larger malls when shopping. He is now 22 mos. He does not mind it, it is easy to get in and out of the stroller, and it is just sooooo much easier than the one with the animal on it.

We plan on using the strap and stroller both when we are on and off the ship. Just my opinion.

I didnt know they made them "plain". I agree, getting them in and out of things is a pain with the animal ones. Where do you get the plain one?

I am still not sure what I'm going to get, but I found a plain one I liked on Ebay to answer the question of where to get them. I liked the way the straps were (not velcro). I will also check at Wal Mart & Target before I buy to see what they've got.

I had two types of plain ones. One had a swivel thing on the back so that the strap didn't get tangled, that was a great feature. I think I got one at Walmart and one at Babies R Us, but I can't remember which had the swivel.

We only tried to use our leash once and my daughter didn't "get" it, she absolutely insisted she hold my end of the leash. Hmmm... Anyway, whichever harness you choose, make sure you practice ahead of time! Or be like me with a "loose" 2 yr old at Disney World, holding her own leash while I pushed the stroller, lol.

I think the leash is a great idea. If I thought I could get away with using one for my 4 yr old, I sure would. Tonight on our nightly walk, she suddenly took off her mud boots and RAN about 1/4 mile home in bare feet and I was shocked at how fast she could really run, kwim?

I had two types of plain ones. One had a swivel thing on the back so that the strap didn't get tangled, that was a great feature. I think I got one at Walmart and one at Babies R Us, but I can't remember which had the swivel.

We only tried to use our leash once and my daughter didn't "get" it, she absolutely insisted she hold my end of the leash. Hmmm... Anyway, whichever harness you choose, make sure you practice ahead of time! Or be like me with a "loose" 2 yr old at Disney World, holding her own leash while I pushed the stroller, lol.

I think the leash is a great idea. If I thought I could get away with using one for my 4 yr old, I sure would. Tonight on our nightly walk, she suddenly took off her mud boots and RAN about 1/4 mile home in bare feet and I was shocked at how fast she could really run, kwim?

Lol, sounds like she "got it" very well! :D:p

I will be traveling with my daughter who will have just turned 3. We have never had anything like this but I love the idea. I am really stressed about cruising with her and think this will help with my fear. What exactly is this and where can I get one? I have never been a fan of the leash thing but it is all about safety, as far as I am concerned.

We just got back from our cruise with our son who is almost 3 years old. I like the idea of the leash, which did not work for our son. He also does not like to sit in a stroller at all, so we pretty much traveled without a leash or stroller and it worked out really well. He did have an id wristband on him though at all times during our cruise.

But either way, if you can get away with a leash I would use one. But probably the plain one. Whatever is easiest on you, but I would also practise at home before leaving for your cruise. Good luck!

The harness is a great idea. We are cruising with a 3 yr. old in November that is very active and gets into things and trouble. This is a must for her! I do want to add that we went on a cruise with her right before she turned 2 and we used the stroller all the time. She didn't mind because we were always going somewhere and seeing things or just laying out on the deck where she would watch the water or people. She even napped in it sometimes. Unless you want to devote your cruise to following her around, I would highly recommend a stroller - not to mention the crowds at times. Thanks for the harness idea!

When my son was little we did a Monkey on the back cruise that went perfectly, he walked all over the ship, all over atlantis and key west and it went wonderfully. The next cruise we went on it was a disaster. He refused to go where I wanted to go, and I ended up carrying him for 5 days. I was worn out and ended up putting him in a stroller a lot more than I wanted to. Whatever you decide, practice at home first!

Archived