Family in Belize advice, Please.

angie54751

Hi all....we are doing a family cruise in mid December. We will be traveling with our 3 kids ages almost 14, 13 and 9. Here are our dilemmas. I have read a lot about Coral Breeze tours and they sound great. My daughter (oldest child) and I are the adventurers and would like to do the snorkel trip that takes you to swim with the stingrays/sharks. However, our oldest son has only done some easy beach snorkeling and is apprehensive about being "dropped" in the ocean. Our youngest son thinks it sounds fun, but has never snorkeled before. We told them we would get them some gear so they can practice in a pool over the summer. My DH likes to snorkel but I don't think would enjoy it if he was worried about the safety of the boys. I have suggested that maybe my DH and the boys should try the "Captain your own boat" tour but my DH isn't keen on splitting the family up.

I want everyone to be pleased with the choice as the vacation is supposed to be fun and exciting for everyone. So....what would some of you recommend?

I'd split up. The Captain Your Own River Boat tour will be fine for those less adventerous. Let the others snorkel/dive. It will give you more to talk about at dinner and when you get home and then no one feels deprived of the chance to do what they wanted. The River Boat tour is fun, but I can see where my kids would have been a bit bored as time went on.

Also, it's not often you get the chance to snorkel or dive off the second largest barrier reef so why miss the chance?

Another option here if you were going to other ports with snorkeling would be to try the ruins. I've heard they are great in Belize.

Well, I can tell you this. I had been planning on going on a snorkel tour with Coral Breeze, and bought the kids some snorkel gear in anticipation of that (mine are 5 and 9). I took them to the pool last night, strapped on the gear (they were quite apprehensive) and all I literally had to tell them was, "breathe in and out through your mouth, not your nose" and they were OFF like FISH. I had to pry the little masks off their faces when it was time to go. And this was in an indoor waterpark filled with several fun things to do, like slides and lazy rivers and such. AND my kids aren't all THAT comfortable on their own in the water...swimming lessons and my kids don't get along well (although they're great in the water with DH and me). I'm aware that doing it in the ocean is another thing, but really think that since DH and I will be there, as will the professionals/guides, they'll love it. I've emailed with Mark from Coral Breezes quite a few times, and he assures me the guides love working with kids, and that the water is more calm near Bannister than the Caye Caulker tour. Maybe you should email Mark and give him the situation, and see what he suggests. It's been my experience that the tour operators are pretty "straight shooters" when asked questions about their tours...the last thing they want is an unsatisified customer.

I'd book it. If all else fails, the non-snorkelers can hang on the boat and watch. I'm not familiar with the times for the shark/stingray tour, but I know with the Bannister Island Beach Break/snorkel tour, the snorkeling portion is only about an hour anyway. It was a good compromise for us.

• 4 weeks later...

In 2007, we booked with Sea Sports Belize and had a wonderful time!

Our daughters, we 7 and 9 at the time and they were wonderful with them. Our guide Eli was so patient and had them snorkling in no time.

You could not go wrong with this company. I am in the process of booing with them again for our feb cruise.

Good Luck!

Archived